back to article ISS 'nauts wrap 'historic' 340-day mission

Scott Kelly and Mikhail Kornienko returned to terra firma from the International Space Station earlier this morning at the end of a "historic" 340 days aboard the orbiting outpost. The pair's Soyuz TMA-18M capsule floated to earth at 04:26 GMT southest of the town of Dzhezkazgan in Kazakhstan. Also on board was cosmonaut …

1. imanidiot Silver badge
    Pint

Welcome back to the blue marble

Not really a truely historic length stay (given how many people stayed longer) but I'm sure it'll be interesting to be able to compare data from Scott Kelly and his twin brother for the men in labcoats.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Welcome back to the blue marble

It is historic in the sense of properly planned and with proper control on Earth. It is the first time someone has thought of using an identical twin for control.

Poliakov's longer "lost in space" stay on Mir was not planned by any means (it was a result of the general post-USSR clusterf***).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"It is historic in the sense of properly planned and with proper control on Earth."

If that's going to be the definition of "historic" from now on, there's not going to be much history left. This has all the signs of a "Pluto shouldn't be reclassified as a dwarf planet" argument.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

It is historic in the sense of properly planned and with proper control on Earth having been achieved by an astronaut. Nudge nudge, wink wink...

3. imanidiot Silver badge

Poliakovs mission length WAS planned. He volunteered for it!

1. imanidiot Silver badge

I think you got Poliakov confused with Sergei Krikalev.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

I think you got Poliakov confused with Sergei Krikalev.

Thanks for the correction. I have indeed mixed them up.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

There is a satirical movie movie somewhat based on Poliakov's "lost in space" stay on Mir.

3. A K Stiles
    Facepalm

Really?

"Backing away at about 1/10th of a metre per second, which will continue until they are about 50 feet away from the ISS"

Couldn't have gone with 4 inches/s, or 15m away?

What is that in Linguine anyway?

1. Captain DaFt

Re: Really?

"Backing away at about 1/10th of a metre per second, which will continue until they are about 50 feet away from the ISS"

"Couldn't have gone with 4 inches/s, or 15m away?"

Aw, what could go wrong? It's not like they were aiming at Mars this time. :)

4. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

southest?

"floated to earth at 04:26 GMT southest of the town of Dzhezkazgan"

Is that Southwest, Southeast or just even more South than South?

Also, my spill chucker doesn't like Southwest or Southeast and thinks it ought to be South West or South East so I'm still none the wiser. I suppose I could have looked at a map in the time I spent writing this.

(Yeah, yeah, I know, corrections link, but I don't have easy access to email from this box)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like