back to article Huawei Honor 5X: Swishy fingerprint tech for the mid-range

Chinese phone manufacturers are offering punters a Happy Hour that lasts until closing time. That's if you're prepared for a few UI eccentricities, and keeping your fingers crossed for any customer support or OTA updates… and the value for money is fantastic. Huawei’s Honor brand took the laurels last year with the Honor 7, a …

1. Ian K
    WTF?

"is still stuck on Marshmallow (not so good)"

Erm, Marshmallow (v6) is the latest release of Android, released by Google last October.

Do you actually mean it's still using Lollipop?

2. RIBrsiq

Excellent review. And the fingerprint sensor is tempting indeed. But I have a Lenovo and it has an awesome feature:

It's possible set each application's Internet access privileges to none, Wi-Fi only, mobile data only or both.

So do Huaweis -- or any other Androids -- have something like this?

1. Darryl

On my Nexus 5X, the only option seems to be to block background access to mobile data. I haven't played with it at all because I have "unlimited" data and haven't come close to the throttling threshold, so I have no idea how well it works.

1. RIBrsiq

@Darryl

It's more about allowing only applications I trust to access the Internet, for me.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No root firewall

This is what you're looking for:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.faircode.netguard&hl=en_GB

Offers more granularity that you appear to require too

HTH

3. the spectacularly refined chap

The Huaweis I've seen in the past have good permission settings compared to most makes - any app can be restricted to wifi only or blocked from the internet completely. You also have settings to block e.g. the camera or GPS according to how suspicious you are.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Great phone!

"Amazon stocks ropey Chinese imports (particularly, "Play" editions with 3GB) that won't have support or European customisations, so caveat emptor."

Ordered one for the mother-in-law from Amazon on a recent lightning deal. Arrived a couple of days later and she definitely got an EU/UK model. I think you need to to change that to "Amazon Marketplace sellers stock ropey Chinese imports"

The only thing that lets it down is EMUI, but that's easily fixed by installing another launcher. Hopefully EMUI 4.0 will improve things.

4. MrRimmerSIR!

You had me until...

...you mentioned about the option of two SIM cards OR one SIM and an SD card. So what is one to do when the requirement is for two SIM cards and extended memory (yes I do have a lot of music and videos on my phone cos, well, y'know).

Seems to be a fad that has engulfed many of the otherwise excellent looking phones recently. That and tiny non-removable batteries. Give me 2 SIM slots, one SD slot and a 6000mAh battery and the wallet might open...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: You had me until...

The wallet might have to do more than open. It might have to stay at home so that you have room to carry the giant phone that you're describing.

2. david bates

Zenfone 2.

2 SIM, SD card an d a pretty huge battery. 32, 64 or 128 (IIRC) internal storage.

It is Intel though, but the only issue that has given me is having to side-load VLC.

There is also a lot of pre-installed crap, but its eminently rootable and there are thrid-party ROMs already.

Marshmallow is coming in Q2 (apparently)

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This is possible to have two sims and a memory card at the same time. There are plenty of guides on you tube. It does involve modifying one of the sim cards though and attaching the micro SD card to the back of it.

5. Gavin Hamill

Unimpressed

I had one of these for about a week before sending it back (Expansys run the UK "Honor Store" and the return process was smooth).

Lots of waiting for apps to open / switch. Everything felt too clumsy. Old Android version was unfortunate but not a deal breaker.

Worst was the thing is too damn big. I got a Nexus 5X (yeh, an extra hundred quid) instead and am much happier.

A shame - that fingerprint sensor had a nice swipe gesture :/

6. CJatCTi

A bit of prejudiced show here

I got a Dual SIM + SD card Honer 6 a year or so ago, it has had the updates and Honer Branding team keep inviting be to London launch parties just because I registered the chinese edition phone with a UK postal address.

As a tech person I like the phone asking me do I want x app to access my contacts / location & the call black list has all the PPI callers in 10 seconds after the first called.

Two day battery life - thanks agressive power management / big battery.

Remove the prejudice and you have a great phone, I used to by HTC flagships but why would I spend twice as much?

7. Wicked Uncle Steve

The review is wrong, the phone can take two SIMs and a micro SD card at time.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I don't know why you got downvoted, judging by the picture No 2...

2. jackalek

Dual sim cards and SD card

Hi.

Can someone confirm it can take 2 sim cards AND SD card at one time? I've the honor 4x, which can take 2 sim cards and sd card, this is the setup I'm using daily.

Unfortunately the 4x has only 8gb storage, and since update to android 5 the phone is unusable as it runs out of storage after installing 15 or so apps.. I want to sell it and update to 5x if it can take 2 sim cards and sd card simultaneously.

Has any one got other suggestions for a decent phone with 2 sims and sd card which can do UK 4g bands 3,7 and 20?

Max budget circa £200

Regards Sam

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Dual sim cards and SD card

According to the specs, it has a "dedicated slot" for the SD card, which might mean you're in luck.

C.

8. Efros

Dammit

I was offered one of these for review but had to decline as my part of the US hinterland doesn't support GSM phones, CDMA only up here! Looks like a good un!

9. drand
    Unhappy

No 5GHz wi-fi?

I was about to buy one until I compared side-by-side with the Honor 7. The 5X appears to have lost the dual-bandiness, which is a shame (there are a squillion 2.4GHz networks on every channel invading my gaff, so 5 gig is a big plus for me.)

10. feelsgood2

Huawei - not the only one.

2016 will be a frightening time for Apple and Samsung market dominance. There are so many good Chinese brand smartphones coming into the market - value for money mid price / mid spec phones. Besides Huawei there is Xiamoi, BBK parent of - Oppo, Vivo and Oneplus, then TCL, ZTE and others selling great phones in the 320 UK / $600 AU range, laying the foundation for their flagship phone onslaught to follow, to meet Samsung and Apple head on. Some will boom, some will fail but it will be interesting to watch the market unfold.

11. OneTUP

huawei

At me with this phone there were no problems absolutely and with a print it is exact.

http://www.china-prices.com/phone/302/huawei-honor-play-4

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like