back to article GitHubber wants to revive the first Unix in a PDP-7 emulator

An IT lecturer from the Australian state of Queensland wants to revive the very first Unix – the version written by Ken Thompson on a Digital Equipment Corporation PDP-7. While the PDP-11 is probably the most famous of the series – a genuine watershed in computer history, and a successful system that sold 600,000 units in its …

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Alien

A ruguous yet squamous code revivla

This sounds like a special project to unleash the True Form of Microsoft through code necromancy and bring about fanboy armageddon. We will end up in the nether world of Fourthly Divided Wall Opening. YOu have been warned!

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: A ruguous yet squamous code revivla

What on earth are you taking about? Did you have one too many at your 'Oscars' party last night?

Can we have your post again please in plain English. It is Monday morning after all....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

He/She is just trying to be a ManFromMars1 emulator

2. James 51
      Alien

Under that rubber mask I know you're amanfrommars1.

3. Fibbles

I guess he forgot to switch accounts before posting.

Shame. I had hoped amanfromMars was an increasingly more sentient chatbot.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Just how long have you been stuck in that laundry ?

2. Steve Crook
    Coat

I did wonder why on earh anyone would want to do it...

Because it's not there...

3. Detective Emil
    Pirate

UNSW has form

It was from UNSW that Lions' Commentary on UNIX 6th Edition snuck out, despite the best efforts of Bell Labs' lawyers.

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

UNSW may be his alma mater

But as the article indicates he's put his misbegotten youth behind him and is a Queenslander now. What next - blaming Queensland for Fosters!

4. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Coat

All I have to say

is that the captchas have got particularly good!

Or, on a more serious note, he's going to need a *very* good OCR program if that's the quality of his source material. Assembly - any assembly - is bad enough to debug when it's in clean text with just typos to debug, but when it's packed with OCR errors as well... he has my sympathies.

---> the one with the hand-entered hex listing in the pocket

1. phil dude
      Boffin

Re: All I have to say

tesseract (now FOSS'ed by google, originally from HP?) is pretty flexible for learning dirty text.

How do I know this? I had to OCR my sodding bank statements. Subject Access Request in UK, gets you a pile of photocopies typewritten paper - even if you ask for electronic format .Funnily enough, the same happened with my credit union account. I am assuming for security reasons the machine that accesses the records has no output except a printer. Anyone out there know if this is true?

I had to write some perl code to get sense out of tesseract and this is a clue for anyone else who wants this challenge. tesseract is pretty good at putting boxes around characters, but seems to be unable to detect machine printed lines. I wrote a perl alignment code that put the boxes on lines and grouped chars as a machine would - for numbers and mixed text works very well as word lengths are highly column correlated.

Other than that little code exercise, OCR of dirty paper has greatly improved and linux a good platform to do it on.

P.

5. jake Silver badge

Ask at the source, Warren Toomey.

I know for a fact that both ken and dmr (RIP) had the original source of the complete system in their archives, on DECtape & cards. Email ken & ask ... the estate of dmr is probably clueless on the subject. I'm pretty certain I still have a complete system original Unics[0] card deck myself (made from a DECtape copy I got at Berkeley, the tape itself is long gone), and I'm certain that I'm not the only one. Unfortunately, us little guys can't share the wealth without the remains of MaBell's lawyers taking us to the cleaners ... you're on your own there ;-)

PDP 7 emulators already exist, see SIMH for a pretty good example.

[0] If you think I mispleled that, you aren't qualified to comment on the subject ...

6. Steve Graham

DECtape

DECtape, the block filesystem that you could watch working, turning backwards and forwards.

7. OzBob

So, is Dennis Ritchie an "un-person" for some reason now?

Most of the literature I see credits both Dennis and Ken with the eventual invention of Unix, (together after the third release).

1. Mike Flex

Re: So, is Dennis Ritchie an "un-person" for some reason now?

Dennis Ritchie isn't available to ask for assistance.

1. OzBob

Re: So, is Dennis Ritchie an "un-person" for some reason now?

Yes I am aware he is dead, same week as Jobs, but did he will the credit for Unix back to Thompson in a memorandum of understanding?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We've done something very similar...

We = my esteemed colleague (genius).

Assembler language source code available only in an old, faded, marked up, printed hard copy. Roughly a hundred pages. Scan in, OCR (what a mess), endlessly correct, fix & add comments, endlessly test compile, rinse and repeat. A few month's solid work, hundreds and hundreds of hours, just to get to the starting gate.

Then start the minor modification which was the actual project.

9. corestore

Oh.

A few years ago I corresponded with DMR about precisely this project.

He mentioned having those listings; we pondered whether it would be

practical to get them machine-readable and try to get them loaded and

booting on one of my pdp-15s to recreate an operational 18-bit Unix...

but ultimately decided it was impractical at the time.

And from 2007...

"Post by Dennis Ritchie

Was there a PDP-9 [Unix] port? Mr. Ritchie, sir?

Yes, Ken moved the -7 system to both the PDP-9 and PDP-15

just to try them out. Minimal effort, just some new drivers, no

effort to take advantage of extra features on either. Total time

they actually ran was probably measured in hours or a few

days at most. One of the machines ran a step-and-repeat

camera for making IC masks.

And all that software is presumably long gone along with the PDP-7 version.

Oh, well."

Glad he was wrong. Nice to see those listings have survived and surfaced. Maybe one day I WILL get them running on my pdp-15 :)

10. Jeremy Bresley

Distributed recreation?

Is there a reason they can't scan and post a high resolution image of each page of the code and have multiple people retype it based on what they see? Send out 3-5 copies of each page and diff it to see if everybody agreed on it when they submitted the text, if not, take the answer with the most in agreement. I believe Ancestry was doing something like this for old immigration records that were originally hand-written and weren't able to be OCR'ed. I'm sure a lot of geeks would be happy to retype a page or two in exchange for a mention in the revival documentation for the project.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon