back to article FCC gets Bern notice on Charter-TWC deal

A group of US Senators is asking broadband watchdog the FCC to mull over their concerns about the proposed $78bn merger between Charter Communications and Time Warner Cable. In a letter [PDF] to FCC chairman Tom Wheeler, Senators Bernie Sanders (I-VT), Al Franken (D-MN), Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), Ed Markey (D-MA), and Ron Wyden …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Customers already have no option

Cable companies almost never compete for the same houses, so customers who would have no broadband choice after a merger have no choice today.

Not saying the merger should be approved, but surely they can do better than that for a reason to deny it?

1. mhenriday
      Boffin

Re: Customers already have no option

«Cable companies almost never compete for the same houses, so customers who would have no broadband choice after a merger have no choice today.»

The fact that for the most part, even at present US users have no option to chose among broadband providers, is hardly a reason to abstain from blocking an merger which would worsen the situation. Rather the FCC should be doing what it can to prevent the further extension of local provider monopolies in the United States and to break up those which already exist. Blocking this merger would at least be a start in that direction....

Henri

1. Fatman
        Joke

Re: Customers already have no option

<quote>Blocking this merger would at least be a start in that direction....</quote>

But, sir, you forget, here in the USofA, we have Best Government (Corporate) Money Can Buy, and increasing competition is not in the best of corporate interests.

Consumers exist to be fleeced, end of story.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Henri

How does it worsen the situation? They have a monopoly today, and will have a monopoly tomorrow. You can't get worse than a monopoly, and at least being larger gives them better negotiating leverage with networks.

I didn't realize how much of a difference this made but 20 million customer Directv pays $17 per customer per month less to networks for the same stuff that the 6 million customer Uverse paid! A lot of the savings AT&T will realize from buying Directv will be as contracts are renewed for the 26 million customers in the combined company they will at least save that $17 on every Uverse customer, and probably beyond that as the extra six million customers may help them secure even better pricing than Directv currently has.

I'm not arguing in any particular direction here, but I don't really see the consumer harm when this merger wouldn't change the competitive landscape, and would reduce costs for the combined entity (whether any of that is passed along to customers is another matter, of course) Consumers should be worrying about things that help increase competition (helping telcos be more effective TV and broadband players) or reducing the harm that cable monopolies cause (the recent effort on the part of the FCC to standardize on set top devices the base receiver/client type device can be built into TVs, Roku, Apple TV etc. instead of renting them from the cable company)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I suppose I choose to move to a new home to change broadband service. But if they merge...

3. Uncle Ron

Wrong Headed

Some on this board are saying, "So what? They already have a monopoly on my house, the merger doesn't change anything." Of course it does. As the article states, the enormous debt that Charter will have to take on will leave it NO choice (and a terrific excuse) to raise rates, introduce Metered Internet Billing, and introduce other fees and practices to raise it's revenues and profits. Once the debt is paid down (not too many years) the usurious rates and fees and other practices will remain--and get worse. Because of the duopoly that will then exist between Comcast and New Charter, they will be "bullet-proof" in front of Congress, the FCC, and any state or local "regulatory" body. They are already among the biggest, best funded lobbyists and campaign contributors in the country, and their fleecing power will only become more pervasive.

The monopoly cable industry has publicly stated their prediction that "cable" bills (meaning internet service, as the TV part of it is dying) will reach $200 to $300 per month within 3 to 5 years. Remember, that's just for internet service, no content. Add on Netflix, HBO, Sports, CBS and whatever else, and you have a $3,000 to $4,000 a year bill--and huge profits for the monopolies. If this buyout is allowed to happen, it will prove the regulatory bodies are completely corrupt, and have given up on the public interest. It stinks.

This buyout cannot be allowed. It is in NO one's interest except the executives and stockholders. That's not good enough.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like