back to article QLogic: Ready to get excited about an Ethernet adapter?

Prepare to get excited about an adapter: QLogic’s multi-protocol FastLinQ 45000 Ethernet controllers use an ASIC with up to 100Gbit/s Ethernet speed, RDMA and NVMe over fabrics support to virtually abolish external storage array network latency and support network virtualisation. The ASIC’s CPU offloading and high speed …

1. picturethis

Estimated cost?

I know the old saying: "when you have to ask, you can't afford it..."

But for the rest of us, when articles are introducing new products, it would be nice to know a ball-park figure of cost. Is that too much to ask? I'm always curious to know what bleeding edge technology costs (and what a company thinks it's worth).

Is it: a) 1 banana, b) 2 bananas c) 5 bananas or d) a 2nd mortgage on your flat...

(FYI 1 banana = ~USD $1000, non-inflation adjusted, of course)

1. Pavlov's obedient mutt

Re: Estimated cost?

twelvty! bananas!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nobody seems to have a price. Although, interestingly, everybody else, including QLogic, has a different picture. It's a board with a heatsink and fan, two CXP receptacles or similar, and a narrower PCIe connector.

3. future research

1 banana for one of these

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/20/mellanox_infiniband_ethernet_isc

been around for 3 years so tested and available.

1. Justin Clift

Also cheap on Ebay, so good for home labs. :)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looks like this might be of interest to the boys at EMC's DSSD department with its NVMe capability.

3. Mikey

Awesome!

Yeah, I can't wait to get a couple of these babies when the availability of 100Gbit internet connections become the norm! And, given the timeframe of THAT happening, I have plenty of time to actually save up for them too... assuming I live to see the year 3000...

4. Brian Miller

"If I can't buy happiness..."

"Then I'll just have to rent it!" And I'm guessing that this adapter will be over $3000. Their 10Gb adapter is about $275, so for an order of magnitude more speed, the price will also be at least an order of magnitude more. Cutting, bleeding, spending edge.

5. nilfs2
    Trollface

It costs about tree fiddy

6. John Sager

Far too many acronyms

I think I know stuff about networking, but I would have to spend a couple of hours with Wikipedia to really understand this stuff. Could we please have a little bit more value-add in the explanatory department rather than just a regurgitated press release.

1. Tom 13
      Happy

Re: Far too many acronyms

LOL! IIRC, YMMV but yes WTF?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon