back to article HP Inc Elite X3: Windows 10 phablet for enterprise-y types

HP Inc has unveiled a big bet re-entry into the handheld device market, banking on enterprise’s attachment to the Windows ecosystem to blur the memory of its previous forays and retreats into the space. The vendor will unveil its Elite x3 phablet at MWC, a six inch-high, 7.8mm thick phablet, along with a desktop dock to …

1. Banksy
    Paris Hilton

Thick!

"7.8m thick phablet"

Bloody Nora! That will be a thick phablet!

1. BongoJoe

Re: Thick!

It's a henge!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Thick!

OK smarty pants... story updated!

2. Lysenko

written over the last 20 to 30 years, all on .Net

.NET in 1986?! I don't think so. VB was around 1990 and .NET ten years after that.

1. Danny 14

Re: written over the last 20 to 30 years, all on .Net

Vbrun300.dll wasnt .net either....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Vbrun300.dll

Oh God, I'm having PTSD flashbacks!

2. Deltics

.net is vbrun900.dll

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

30 years ago you were using MS-DOS and dBase/Lotus 1-2-3 for most PC-based "business applications". Maybe something also written in QuickBasic or TurboPascal. Or were using a terminal emulator to access some mainframe or mini software.

How many of those really survived till today? And how many weren't turned into web applications long ago?

3. Mikel

Rewrite

>"The average Fortune 500 company has 3,500 bespoke apps that they’ve written over the last 20 to 30 years, all on .Net, all for PCs, and those have to be moved to a mobile world if that is how people are going to work.”

And if they rewrite them as universal apps they will still have to rewrite them as mobile apps because nobody is going to use universal apps for very long. Might as well skip a step and get straight to it then.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Rewrite

you forgot to add

"And here are a team of 50+ HPE Consultants at the low price of $1500/day each to help you do the transition to the 'mobile world'"

All of them will be Indians called John and fresh out of University 'learning' on the job about the latest wrapper framework that they'll put round your old code to magically make it work on mobiles. Oh, and documentation will be extra.

Sheesh....

{ex HP'er}

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It runs "Windows" but it's not Intel...

It will fail. Surface RT anyone?

5. Rusty 1
    WTF?

IP67

"The x3 is IP67 tested, meaning it can take a four foot fall"

What? How is a four foot fall related to Ingress Protection? The clue is in the name.

Paul, the only possible way your article could make any sense is if you fixed your typo and continued your sentence thus: "The x3 is IP67 tested, meaning it can take a four foot tall dwarf blowing dust at it from under 15-100cm of water."

But that would be plain daft as you can't blow dust underwater.

1. big_D Silver badge

Re: IP67

Yes, IP67 doesn't have anything to do with falls. The 6 is dust ingress and the 7 water ingress, meaning it is dust and water resistant, it says nothing about its ability to be dropped, unless you are dropping into water, in which case, if the glass survives the impact, it won't let any water in...

6. fishman

Looks shiny

But HP's track record in this area is really poor. Has HP given Windows Mobile the kiss of death?

1. tirk
      Coat

Re: Looks shiny

Has HP given Windows Mobile the kiss of death?

No, Microsoft already did that.

7. The Average Joe

.NET in the Enterprise...

He forgot to say that in those places where they have 3.500 .NET apps they have Java apps that run the business. The .NET are just for reporting or specific use cases where we could not do it with Java. Some places told the developers to focus on Java as a .NET app could be a career limiting move.

All the CIO's and CEO's I know are asking the developers how to get app XYZ on their damn Apple Watch! LOL so here we go again... No CEO or CIO asked for .NET on a watch!

8. a_yank_lurker

What are they smoking?

It is seems like to many trying find the one perfect device to replace several very different ones. The problems is these devices exist because they fit different uses very well for consumers. While a smartphone is really just a very small mobile computer it is optimized for certain uses. Ditto with tablets, laptops, etc. Consumers generally seem to be happy with devices that one extremely well over one that does none particularly well.

9. suspiciousCannuck

sounds a bit like surface RT.

This contraption would make sense if it were an x86 processor.

I type this from an ok x86 tablet, that works quite well (if you must run windows apps).

My only complaints are the 1G of RAM and the windows inability to properly determine which

background processes should and shouldn't be suspended.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: sounds a bit like surface RT.

Windows is not designed to suspend background threads - that's what you expect from a true preemptive multitasking OS. Being true multitasking less useful on smartphone OSes, they were designed to supend background threads that rarely do something useful - but a few ones.

In Windows how the OS could know if it should suspend i.e. Lightroom which is importing images from a a camera, while maybe you're checking email or uploading other ones to a server?

Good developers will set processes and threads priorities properly - but not everybody does...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe they'll get lucky but... given that even Microsoft has adjusted their own toolkit, Visual Studio et al., towards creating apps to run on Android and iOS that might tell them how Microsoft sees the state of play.

Personally I think it's cute and if 'twere x86 I might be interested. I just don't think it's going anywhere.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Palm Foleo again?

Palm alredy tried to make a screen/desktop companion for its Treo smartphones, the ill-fated Foleo (nomen omen) - now HP attempts the same route? Someone from the old Palm still there and attempting the same mistakes?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Yep

Greybeards be hatin' 'cos Windows be rollin'

13. hplasm
    Meh

Greybeards be waitin' 'cos Windows be rollin'...

...downhill fast!

FTFY

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The horse is dead, buried and nearly fossilized - why is HP still kicking it?

I managed HP tablets/phablets for 3 years. I didn't make it to a forth (of a 10 year career at HP) because I didn't agree that the .com could sell what the GM determined it could. Late to market, under-spec'd, over priced, and inferior quality does not get rewarded in the market place. The commercial models are decent, but few are lining up to buy $1k tablets when you can get a decent laptop for half the price.

Sympathy for the individual who has to manage these products. Keep smiling and your resume up to date. Be proud you have a job, not proud of your job.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like