back to article Even Google is abandoning Google+

Google's failed social network Google+ has received another vote of no-confidence, this time from Google. As detailed on the Official Android Blog, gamers who want an account to record their feats will soon be offered “Gamer IDs”. As is usual, you can give yourself an avatar or upload a photo, see yourself scale leaderboards …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"Be careful from wild deadly animals"

And scores of grammar nazis have just keeled over from massive heart attacks. This from a developer for whom English is likely the native language. Oh well, it's a living language (meaning that it is defined by all the morons who don't know how to speak it).

By default I stay away from all privacy-mining social platforms, so I gave Google+ a miss as soon as I heard about it. I never missed it.

1. petur

Re: "Be careful from wild deadly animals"

Hard to say you don't miss it when you never used it. Same goes to the author of the article. G+ is very much alive with creative and open source people talking about real stuff. We left the morons over at facebook ;)

Remember, this has nothing to do with privacy since you're sharing the info in the first place....

1. Ole Juul

"Remember, this has nothing to do with privacy since you're sharing the info in the first place...."

I recognize that privacy is hard to maintain, but I don't think that I should just give up.

1. petur

I mean: Google+ is a tool to share information.

Seriously can't understand the downvoting (or your concern). Gmail, hangouts,... yes. But G+?

Remember, they are selling ad space. Not actual data and names like facebook.

1. Ole Juul

"Seriously can't understand the downvoting (or your concern). Gmail, hangouts,... yes. But G+?"

My concern is that all Google products which require logging in, are part of the same family and the information which is gathered is all in the one profile. This is not good. I don't log into Google and I obfuscate my identity on a regular basis. I know I'm far from anonymous, and only a little bit private, but I don't put much effort into it either. Just enough to strike an acceptable balance between what I'd like and what I can get.

2. donmars

They are not selling ad space. There are NO ads onG+. The down otes? Remember, Google have lots of competitive enemies, AMA,on, Facebook, Microsoft etc. There are active programs to demote Google.

2. dajames

Hard to say you don't miss it when you never used it.

On the contrary, it's very easy not to miss something you've never used.

I think the authority on this point goes something like:

Mad Hatter: Would you like a little more tea?

Alice: Well, I haven't had any yet, so I can't very well take more.

March Hare: Ah, you mean you can't very well take less.

Mad Hatter: Yes. You can always take more than nothing.

3. KeithR

"Hard to say you don't miss it when you never used it."

No, it's never easier to say than when you've not used a thing and - y'know - not missed it.

You'd notice that last bit...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> And scores of grammar nazis have just keeled over from massive heart attacks.

Oh, I don't know. Just some missing punctuation I think:

"Be careful!", from wild deadly animals.

:D

2. imanidiot Silver badge

Good. Maybe they'll roll back some of the other bullshit "integration" no-one wants.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's already in full swing. I think it's not necessary anymore to have a Google+ account for YouTube and Hangouts, and Photos is now a separate product. Ironically, Photos is now praised for cool "new" features that already existed when it was part of Google+.

1. Chika

Actually it has only been necessary to have G+ to use the comment system, though despite announcing last year that they would be removing this requirement, Google still haven't done it.

Click on a thumb icon on a comment or try to enter a comment yourself and, surprise surprise, it STILL tries to sign you up, although the last time I checked, this seemed to be somewhat broken anyway (it asks what name you want to use then brings up a blank box where the G+ sign-up was - this can only have happened recently).

It's only one of so many ways that YouTube is Broken, and Google is the one responsible for breaking it. The worry is that they'll eventually replace G+ with something even more intrusive and broken.

1. ratfox
          Go

To be honest, I find that YouTube comments being broken is a clear upgrade on what YouTube comments used to be. (see https://xkcd.com/202/ & https://xkcd.com/481/)

1. Chika

To be honest, I find that YouTube comments being broken is a clear upgrade on what YouTube comments used to be.

Agreed to an extent but the part of the system that was broken there is the bit that YouTube/Google can't really do anything about. PEBCAK, in other words.

2. IGnatius T Foobar

It's only one of so many ways that YouTube is Broken, and Google is the one responsible for breaking it. The worry is that they'll eventually replace G+ with something even more intrusive and broken.

What they should have done ... just add social networking to YouTube, where everyone was already signed up and they would have just gone there without knowing they were being weaned off of faecesbook.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Replacing one ad-flinging, privacy-mining abomination with another one that does the same thing is not an improvement.

1. KeithR

"privacy-mining"

Sigh...

Y'know, it'd be great if people actually found out what "privacy" actually means and is, before yammering on about Google raping yours...

It doesn't mean what you clearly seem to think it means.

1. EyePeaSea

Re: "privacy-mining"

And using the word 'raping' to describe mis-use of personal (but effectively partially public) information tells us that *you* clearly don't understand either the dictionary definition nor the real world meaning.

Sickening - to be honest. Ruin a perfecty good point, with a large dose of stupidity.

> actually means and is, before yammering on about Google raping yours...

>It doesn't mean what you clearly seem to think it means.

2. KeithR

"...no-one wants."

I didn't get the memo declaring you, etc...

3. chivo243 Silver badge

Google Carousel

If it doesn't make money, it's fair game. It's Googles MO. Either kill it, or reduce functionality and rebrand it.

4. Mark 85

Hmm... seems about right

Google+ was launched not quite 5 years ago so it's about due to die... or be killed... like so many other Googlisms.

1. frank ly

Re: Hmm... seems about right

I still miss iGoogle and the Google RSS reader.

1. Steven Roper

Re: Hmm... seems about right

"I still miss iGoogle and the Google RSS reader."

The loss of iGoogle, which was the best and most useful service they'd provided, is the main reason why I've never let myself become reliant on Google's services again. Along with services like Buzz and Wave, they've developed too much of a track record of hooking people into their services and then pulling the plug. The demise of Google+ was only a matter of time.

5. Dwarf

Can we have our search back then ?

Given that the use of + and - was taken away on search expressions to make way for Google+, does this mean they will give back the logical expressions like

Cat + mouse - dog ?

1. DropBear

Re: Can we have our search back then ?

Actually, "-" never stopped working. I use it extensively...

1. Dwarf
        Joke

Re: Can we have our search back then ?

Don't give them an idea then, They will only re-brand it as Google-

6. caffeine addict

Flogging a dead horse

The lions might have something to say about it, but that horse clearly isn't dead yet...

7. Graham Triggs

Age requirements

Have you stopped to consider for a minute that Google+ has an age requirement of 13 years or older, and maybe the Android gaming platform should be open to younger users?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Age requirements

Nah, I doubt they thought about that... They're just continue calling G+ dead...

Which is odd given their own G+ feed has over 2.7million views... Although not that many followers... Guess not everyone likes a 1 way stream of blah from their social network, and enjoy the more interactive elements.

I far prefer G+ to Farcebook... For a start, not every 3rd post is a server inserted advert like mobile farcebook... Also I can't remember the last idiot driven chain letter I saw on G+...

Long may it continue to be dead.

8. jake Silver badge

Didn't everbody with a clue ...

... abandon the goo-tards about 20 years ago?

Just askin' ...

1. ratfox
      Paris Hilton

Re: Didn't everbody with a clue ...

This made me think. Google didn't exist 20 years ago. How did we ever manage??

1. jake Silver badge

"This made me think."

That's refreshing, here on ElReg ...

"Google didn't exist 20 years ago."

I didn't say "Google", I said "goo-tards".

"How did we ever manage??"

I have managed quite nicely, TYVM.

2. Chika
        Coat

Well, I used AltaVista for searches normally. Usenet was the closest I got to "social networking".

Hey, Reg! Where's that Old Fart icon I asked for?

1. AS1

> Where's that Old Fart icon I asked for?

It's an oxymoron, since a genuine Old Fart would not countenance the use of an icon.

Text only, as bandwidth matters.

1. TRT Silver badge

I was more of a web crawler man myself.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Stuff the bandwidth but images don't render nicely in the terminal.

2. Alistair
          Windows

@ Chika:

I've been using this one - Grumpy Old Fart, not winders uicer.

3. VinceH

"This made me think. Google didn't exist 20 years ago. How did we ever manage??"

Pretty much the same way some of us manage now, with one difference.

Then: I didn't use Google because there was no Google; I used whatever was available to do what I needed or wanted.

Now: I don't use Google if I can avoid it, because there is a Google; I try to use something else instead to do what I need or want.

Some things are unavoidable - if I want to watch a video that's on YouTube, for example, then that's what I do. C'est la vie. It doesn't mean I can't avoid them the rest of the time (and I even block some things at the router).

4. caffeine addict

"Google didn't exist 20 years ago. How did we ever manage??"

Give me a sec and I'll google it...

1. x 7

"How did we ever manage"

Alta Vista

5. KeithR

He'd have known that if he'd Googled it...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A bit surprised at how anti-google+ the register appears to be. Plenty of social networks have been abandoned and disappeared completely or merely into obscurity. But G+ is still widely used.

1. Chika
      FAIL

But G+ is still widely used.

I suspect that if Google ever got around to finally doing what they said they would do last July about cutting G+ off YouTube, that would soon change.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

re: A bit surprised at how anti-google+ the register appears to be

They mock all equally, it's only surprising if you're new here and have a soft spot for a large tech company. It's not like they love facebook, but it's difficult to claim that it's as unpopular as Google+.

Judging by the comments on this thread G+ is full of smartarses going on about how clever and informative it is, so it's not surprising it's losing out to the inane drivel of facebook....

10. x 7

strangely, my son reckons that G+ is the preference for any kids at his school who have a brain, as by using it they avoid the attention of the idiots on Farcebook

from what he says, there really does appear to be a hard division between the two sets of users

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meanwhile over in Android-land

... disabling Hangouts results in a periodic "Unfortunately Hangouts has stopped" popup.

The problem with Google is that because of their "perpetual beta" orientation you really shouldn't invest too much into any one of their services. Eventually it will either be discontinued or morphed into something that no longer does what you want.

1. Fibbles

Re: Meanwhile over in Android-land

... disabling Hangouts results in a periodic "Unfortunately Hangouts has stopped" popup.

Can't say I've noticed that on 5.0.2 though I do also have Google+ and the various Google Play apps disabled as well.

2. Roo
      Windows

Re: Meanwhile over in Android-land

"The problem with Google is that because of their "perpetual beta" orientation you really shouldn't invest too much into any one of their services. Eventually it will either be discontinued or morphed into something that no longer does what you want."

I think the same could be said of the majority of software out there.

"No change is sexy" - Jah Wobble.

12. sisk

Hardly suprising

Google+ is, when it comes down to it, little more than a clone of an early version of Facebook with a few added features. It launched at the height of Facebook's dominance when everyone likely to subscribe to such a social network was already on Facebook, as was everyone they knew. As I said when Google+ launched their only road to success was for people to be on Google+ to get people to leave Facebook for Google+. They were in a catch 22 the whole time. How do you get people to leave the dominant social network so that their friends will leave the dominant social network when their friends are all on the dominant social network? Google has failed to come up with an answer, somewhat unsurprisingly.

13. Andrew Jones 2

So...... everyone complains when Google crammed Google+ into all Google services, now that Google is listening and removing the Google+ requirement - that somehow means that Google+ will be killed off?!

14. Brian Allan

Google has a rough time competing in the social media arena. Not sure why? They have the manpower and $$$ resources to do so BUT simply don't understand the marketplace. Their recent move to "delete" PICASA and try to force everyone to useless Google Photos is typical. PICASA and Google Photos are only remotely similar... And leaves so much of PICASA behind as to make the move to Google Photos simply laughable!

1. KeithR

Picasa,,,

Isn't going to stop working, you know - Google is just pulling the plug on ongoing development.

I'm going to go ahead and suggest that they know better than you what's best for their business.

15. fidodogbreath
    Devil

I don't like being strong-armed

I refuse to be forced into creating a Google+ public profile. If a Google service requires G+, I find something else that does the same thing.

I'm just not interested in yet another @#$% social network, and I resent Google's attempts to coerce me into using theirs.

So, yippee that the Googly Ones are finally giving up on it. Maybe some day I'll be able to rate Android apps again.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon