back to article Israeli military techies cook up security alerts software

Lessons from building the threat intelligence platform for the Israeli Defence Force form the technical foundations of a new security startup called Siemplify. Siemplify’s tech is designed to contextualise threat alerts from the disparate array of security technologies on enterprise networks (anti-malware, intrusion detection …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Security?

Siemples!

Sorry couldn't resist.

1. Graham Marsden
      Trollface

Re: Security?

Downvoted.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Disparate array of security technologies?

"disparate array of security technologies on enterprise networks (anti-malware, intrusion detection systems, firewalls and more"

Anti-malware don't work, intrusion detection systems don't work, firewalls don't work if the underlying Operating System isn't secure. As in not running someone elses code downloaded over the Internet.

1. EnviableOne
      Holmes

Re: Disparate array of security technologies?

They dont work individually, but if you combine their efforts you get the picture, anything that clears out the trees to leave me with some wood to work on is a good thing

2. well meaning but ultimately self defeating

Re: Disparate array of security technologies?

I agree. If you have not handcoded it in assembly language on hardware you have built yourself, it's quite simply unreliable.

3. x 7

"“Intel analysts using this platform don’t need to be technical. For example they wouldn’t need to write or program a query.”"

But AMD analysts will have to be technical? Whys that then?

4. dd88ddd

This piece feels like advertorial.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

It was pretty light on substance. And that slide was a conceptual punch in the gut. "Here are some extremely vague references to basic data analysis techniques, which we're going to pretend are 1) somehow interesting, 2) related in some way to these idiotic pictures, and 3) 'military'."

The interesting part, which appears only metastatically, is the bit about "visual story lines". There's a huge amount of work going on these days in data visualization and narrativisation, and it'd be nice to know if there's something innovative here or just an application of well-established techniques. (I'm interested for theoretical reasons, as an avocational digital-rhetoric scholar.)

Disclaimer: We (Micro Focus) also sell a SIEM aggregation-and-analysis product. I don't work on it myself, and I've only looked at it briefly (it seems to do the job). It's not based on hard-ass "military" techniques, though.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon