back to article Press code bans snooping in wake of royal eavesdrop case

The Press Complaints Commission has explicitly banned digital snooping by journalists in a change to its Code of Practice. The move comes in the wake of journalist Clive Goodman's conviction for eavesdropping on royal staff members' phone messages. Though the PCC said that the code previously banned such activity, it said that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. voshkin

“Readers”

The code now makes it clear that editors are only responsible for content their journalists create and control, not material sent in by readers.>>

So what is to stop a newspaper paying off some private dick to stoop on some poor sod, but then submit the material as Joe blogs as “user” submitted content?

2. JimC

But what is public Interest?

Think that needs defining: I always understood it used to mean "To the advantage of the public", but your average tabloid editor seems to interpret the phrase as "anything the public might be interested in enough to let me flog a few more papers"

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hidden cameras

Why are hidden cameras not allowed? If this was applied to the BBC, all their undercover investigative programmes would be impossible.

4. John Dougald McCallum

EXTRA!!EXTRA!! read all about it!!!!

But what is public Interest?

Ah theres the rub this is such a wide area that it is almost impossible to define,

what to you and me seems like someone poking their nose in to far may be deemed under this catagory to be legitamate jurnalisim.

This topic is closed for new posts.