back to article Big Brother's pet unicorn Palantir closes the Kimono

Kimono Labs, which claims its Internet data-collection tool is used by 125,000 developers, is so excited to be acquired by Palantir Technologies that it's shuttering its service. The CIA-backed Big-Brother-Meets-Big-Data cult company seems to have snagged Kimono Labs as an acqui-hire, since the target's announcement says its …

1. Christian Berger

Yeah, but hopefully...

...they won't keep the engineering. Those people know very well that working for a company like Palantir is highly unethical, and Palantir is one of the companies people recognize the name.

So whenever you are talking to "normal people" (e.g. the ones who speak at least 2 programming languages) they will back away or try to argue with you when you mention where you work.

Now those people at Kimono still have the possibility of getting out. This will get harder and harder as the bubble deflates.

2. AustinTX
    Big Brother

Portent of things to come?

So what the hell is happening here? We know 'retired' FBI/CIA/NSA/GCHQ types like to launch "private" companies which find the government all the contractors they need to do their dirty work. Companies who provide all of the data-vacuuming services which the government is unable to do legally. And make a profit doing it.

Now, are we seeing private industries who are not part of the shadow brotherhood being gobbled up so that there are no freelancers capable of feats which the spooks can do?

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Portent of things to come?

Yes. Only it's not to come, it's already happening. Very much like outsourcing military operations to mercenaries like Blackwater (I know, I know - they've changed their name).

Less accountability, plausible deniability, network for future, good paying jobs. From some points of view this is win-win-win.

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

It'll be interesting to see if having Pantir on your resume will have a hiring effect.

Are you viewed as

A) A person with a passion for serving your country

or

B) An ethics free morally flexible individual who'll probably put the "coolness" of the hack above any concern for what it's going to be used for.

And of course wheather or not most companies would quite like A or B

Time will tell.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It'll be interesting to see if having Pantir on your resume will have a hiring effect.

" if having [company X] on your resume will have a hiring effect. "

So it'll be a bit like having worked for the military parts of BAe Systems (which is most of it, I'm thinking)?

4. Adam 52 Silver badge

Copyright

We had a demo of Kimono. The salesman happily built us a demo showing how he could scrape the entire BBC website into a database.

We showed him the door quickly. No way would legal and PR let us in any way be associated a company involved with mass copyright infringement.

1. K
      Facepalm

Re: Copyright

That is ridiculous..

First he was not selling BBC content for monetary gain, just demonstrating the product, Second, by that logic, you should not allow any developer libraries or extensions that perform HTTP requests and they could perform the same function!

1. James 51

Perhaps his company had the same attitude as Moist von Lipwig to lock picks, while only illegal geographically but in their case why take the risk.

2. Adam 52 Silver badge

Well he was violating the BBC's terms and conditions, that's copyright violation, and using our office Internet connection to do it which might make us liable.

1. K
          Facepalm

Sheesh... Consider the implications of that, effectively what your saying is every search engine or spider that visits, downloads and indexes the BBC site is causing copyright infringement.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"if I was a paying customer, I'd be furious"

As I'm not...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

tin foil hat time?

"At Bilderberg 2015, the executive chairman of Google, Eric Schmidt, brought along two of his top people to lead a session on AI. It might seem an odd fit for Bilderberg, but over the last few years the big shift within the group has been towards new media and new technology. Schmidt and Thiel both sit on the group’s steering committee, as does Craig Mundie of Microsoft and Alex Karp, the billionaire CEO of data analytics company >>>Palantir<<<, who was [Peter] Thiel’s roommate at Stanford Law School.

Bilderberg has reached out to Silicon Valley; it’s grappling with AI. Looking forwards to the future, always with an eye to what’s valuable. If Bilderberg is to survive, and stay influential, it has to merge with this new technology. It knows it can’t be left behind."

From http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jun/15/bilberberg-looks-to-the-future-but-is-stuck-in-the-past

Who is Peter Thiel: co-founder and chair of Palantir.

More at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Thiel:

"Peter Andreas Thiel (born October 11, 1967) is an American entrepreneur, venture capitalist, hedge fund manager, and social critic. Thiel co-founded PayPal with Max Levchin and Elon Musk (see PayPal Mafia) and served as its CEO. He also co-founded Palantir, of which he is chairman. He was the first outside investor in Facebook, the popular social-networking site, with a 10.2% stake acquired in 2004 for $500,000, and sits on the company's board of directors.

Thiel serves as president of Clarium Capital, a global macro hedge fund with $700 million in assets under management; a managing partner in Founders Fund, a venture capital fund with $2 billion in assets under management; co-founder and investment committee chair of Mithril Capital Management; and co-founder and chairman of Valar Ventures"

1. Rob Gr

Re: tin foil hat time?

I get the impression he may be a LotR obsessive.

Seems he prefers working for the Land where the Shadows Lie.

7. rangeva
    Thumb Up

Calling all (almost) Kimono Labs developers to migrate to Webhose.io

http://blog.webhose.io/2016/02/16/calling-all-almost-kimono-labs-developers-to-migrate-to-webhose-io/

8. MG129

With Kimono Labs shutting down service, I know many are looking for an alternative. I've used Parsehub and have been really happy with them. ParseHub is very similar to Kimono and the user experience is just as good. It's a bit more of a learning curve but does a much better job extracting data. With Kimono, I found you can only get data from static sites - with ParseHub I was able to deal with all sorts of interactivity.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like