back to article Amazon's Lumberyard invaded by zombies

A couple of days back Amazon unleashed Lumberyard - a free game engine and development tool locked into Amazon Web Services (AWS). According to the AWS Service Terms, Lumberyard's "engine, integrated development environment, and related assets and tools", known collectively as "Lumberyard Materials", "may not be run on any …

1. CAPS LOCK

Zombies...

... I hate those guys </I. Jones>

2. 2460 Something

It obviously has had the intended result. Massive news coverage across the globe for their new product. I hope that if a marketing guy did come up with this he is getting a bonus proportional to the coverage he achieved.

1. Richard Tobin

It has certainly worked - the Register has now reported it twice.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

>It has certainly worked - the Register has now reported it twice.

I've read a couple of articles around the web about the release of Lumberyard, and this is the first I've read of the zombie clause in the ToCs - save for a comment by 'Clockworkseer' yesterday.

2. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Well, fair play em 'em I say.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Hello Mr Haines. Are there any other examples of strange ToCs that you and your colleagues have seen over the years? Perhaps you could appeal to the readership here to provide examples they have seen?

Just an idea!

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

I remember we did something on the world's longest email disclaimer years back. Ah, even better: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/05/18/readers_letters_the_email_disclaimer/

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Hi Dave, I don't know whether you'd consider the T&Cs for Apple's iTunes being strange (I do), but artist R. Sikoryak is turning them into a graphic novel, word by word and unabridged. If you like comics, you'll probably like it:

http://itunestandc.tumblr.com/

3. Unicornpiss
    Meh

So if..

..the apocalypse occurs in an entirely different fashion, we'd still be liable if we used a different cloud service, I expect?

Just wanted to know my rights.

1. Anonymous Blowhard

Re: So if..

My money is on either Amazon or Google's systems being at the heart of the Rise of the Machines, so maybe the lack of a RotM clause is Amazon's way of not voiding the contract in the case that they're the ones taking over the world. In this case I'd expect Amazon Prime and AWS customers to be safe from enslavement or extermination as they are already serving machine overlord.

2. Old Handle

Re: So if..

I think you're still prohibited from using it with another "web" service even during a zombie apocalypse. The only restriction they wave in that event is the one on using it for safety-critical systems. So presumably if your rag-tag band of survivors wanted to use it to control your improvised anti-zombie turrets or the like that would be fine.

4. Martin Summers Silver badge

Credit due perhaps to the commentard in the original article that found this and published it yesterday?

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Beers all round

Yes indeed, and to the other readers who flagged it up via email.

1. Stuart 22

Re: Beers all round

Readers? - NNo way. Only a real genuine CDC certified Zombie would ever get down to point 57.10 of any service terms. And a Zombie lawyer at that. And they all tied up working for SCO ...

1. Darryl

Re: Beers all round

Mr. Slant is an El Reg commentard?

1. Graham Marsden

@Darryl - Re: Beers all round

Are you kidding? They couldn't afford how much it costs for him to get out of his tomb in the morning (evening?)

5. Norm DePlume

So will the machines be our overlords before or after The Zombie Apocalypse? One wonders what they will make of each other.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

>One wonders what they will make of each other.

Mutual disinterest, probably. It would make for a very boring monster mash-up movie, a la the SyFy Channel.

"Zombies Vs Skynet" The undead and terminators go about their daily business without disturbing each other

[In fairness to SyFy, whilst they are known for films like 'Sharknado!', their recent adaptation of The Expanse has been very good. Recommended for fans of hard sci-fi, set in a colonised Solar System with political intrigue. It sticks to its own measuered pace, but stay with it. Series 2 has just been commissioned.]

2. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Allies, neither would like John Connor remaining alive

6. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

You call it marketing, I call it planning ahead.

Also: I am sure that lawyers could stop the zombie apocalypse. It is my considered opinion that no zombie would survive* eating a lawyer's brain.

*Yeah, I know. But what would be the correct expression?

1. Darryl

I have no idea what the correct expression would be, but can you imagine the personal injury lawsuit that zombie would be subjected to?

1. Mark 85

I think it would be the other way around.. the zombie suing for damages because he/she ate a lawyers brain. Or maybe cracked the skull open and realized the contents were rotten.

7. Dr.Flay

Oh great, so if the world outside the USA goes to hell in a handbag we are not covered.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Just go to your local pub, barricade yourself in and ride it out.

1. VeganVegan
        Pint

@allthecoolshortnamesaretaken

Shaun, is that you?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like