back to article Flash flushed as Google orders almost all ads to adopt HTML5

Google's getting serious about hastening the oh-so-timely demise of Adobe Flash, telling advertisers they've just under a year to move to HTML 5. The ad giant has given advertisers notice that from June 30th, 2016, AdWords and DoubleClick won't accept upload of Flash ads. Come January 2nd, 2017, display ads won't run on the …

1. chivo243 Silver badge

one more nail please

and it might just close the coffin.... Will I live to see a day without any Flash?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: one more nail please

Never while the likes of the BBC insist on using it.

1. Jess

Re: the BBC insist on using it.

I generally either use the PS3 or Get_iplayer. Sadly non techies won't be using the latter.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: the BBC insist on using it.

Get iPlayer doesn't get around the issue with the BBC's use of flash video's on the BBC website, does it?

2. Michael B.

Re: one more nail please

The iPlayer has an HTML5 version http://www.bbc.co.uk/html5 it's not perfect but it is a vision of a flash free world.

2. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Better still - just ban all animated and/or sound producing ads, any images over 100kB or so, and anything with java/javascript. Then so much of of the ad-blocking needs would go away...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Unless you literally banned all 3rd party javascript, there will always be a need for domain-based ad blocking.

There will always be bad actor domains you'll want black-listed, while allowing cdn.google.com/jquery.js or whatever.

1. Tannin

So, just ban all 3rd party Javascript.

Of course, this would have the side effect of scrambling a few zillion cut and paste, bandwidth-hogging, slow loading code spagetti websites built on barely-underrstood bloated rubbish library imports ...

.... so when you think about it, there is no actual downside.

2. Jess

re: 3rd party javascript

It would be nice if all 3rd party JS domains needed to be declared in the HTML header, and browsers defaulted to only allowing just the first two (if they have valid certificates), and could be set to any number including zero.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

I think that any ad with a size over 80Kb should be banned. The html in the pages I read rarely goes over 20Kb, having 4 times that for ads should be largely enough.

I would welcome a browser extension that only downloads 80kb of ads and not a byte more. If all the ads in the page can't fit in, too bad.

That would kill almost all flash thingies in one stroke.

3. ksb1972

The root of the problem?

Flash and Windows 10 have that same feel:

Buggy, inefficient and incomplete.

The results of putting the job in the hands of cheap, inexperienced and unlearned coders and project managers.

All led by middle management woefully inept at setting direction and without a clear strategic vision of what the finished product should look like

and how it needs to integrate into the environment in which it will be used.

1. Archie Woodnuts

Re: The root of the problem?

If only these developers were as sagacious as you, eh?

2. Jess

I disagree.

> Buggy

Windows 10 is the least buggy new release of Windows in ages. (Assuming you consider W7 a fixed version of Vista, though perhaps you could regard 10 as a fixed version of 8, of course)

Very true for Vista, but that's old news.

> inefficient

Not compared to Windows 7, of course in absolute terms, yes, totally true, but that is true of every mainstream OS.

> incomplete

It's Windows, just like any other version, they drop stuff and move it around. I don't see how this applies to 10 any more than 8, 7, XP .....

> woefully inept at setting direction

Surely that applied more to 8? 10 is a course correction.

> how it needs to integrate

10 seems to integrate as well as any new version.

There are lots of reasons to criticise Windows 10, but stick to real ones. (Forced update, move to a less private mode of operation, not free for Vista, etc.)

3. Nick Ryan Silver badge

As much as I like to hate Windows (in all of its incarnations), I agree with Jess above that comparing it to Flash is a trifle unfair.

Microsoft, to give them their due for once, have managed to cut out a lot of crap from Windows 10. That's not to say that it's all gone, or they haven't replaced it with other crap... FFS - Candy Crush, Minecraft, everythijg Xbox and zune and a host of other shit that you'd only expect on a shovelware inflicted phone on Windows Enterprise by default. Not that you might not want these apps, but they really shouldn't be inflicted, repeatedly, on Professional or Enterprise versions of an OS. However a pile of the legacy nonsense is no longer there and while I've personally found this annoying, crappy win32 code that relied on equally crappy win16 code really does deserve to die (looking at you Corel).

The Win10 interface is somewhat less retarded that Win8 and it breaks a few less of the fundamentals of good UI design. It's not to say that it's great, often the only way to do something useful it to find the underlying Win7/Vista/XP/2000 dialog and set the options there. However compared to the "mystery meat" navigation and the enforced brain fuck disjoint of Metro vs Desktop it's pretty much wonderful.

4. simpfeld

Flash Web sites Hall of Shame

Is there one out there, that anyone knows of?

1. ratfox

Re: Flash Web sites Hall of Shame

Google finance still uses flash for its scrollable and zoomable graphs.

Yahoo finance offer the same features without flash.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not just the BBC...

How can you be a supposed cutting edge unicorn like Twitch and still force flash on users... WTF???

6. andrewj

Now browsers just need a built-in feature to stop the f***ing annoying html5 videos from playing automatically. Which of course is fabulous for ad peddlers.

And yes, I have a plugin to do this; and no, it doesn't work all the time

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well you sure as heck won't get it in Chrome, Google doesn't want to help you not see ads.

Firefox needs to get on this ASAP, as autoplaying html5 videos become more of a problem this can be the killer feature that helps them take back market share the same way the popup blocking feature helped them do the same back in the day.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BBC

Idiot BBC standardising on a proprietary technology. Will the ever correct their mistake?

PUBLIC SERVICE, FFS. But they are good at pissing away money.

8. PeterM42
    Megaphone

It's about time...

...that Adobe CRASH was put where it belongs - in the IT bin of history

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like