back to article Labels to artists: You'll get a penny, so go away

Two of the three major record labels last week promised to share some of the money from the windfall they may receive from a Spotify IPO with artists. Neither said how much will land in the busker's hat. But the implication was that this was an act of munificence, and whatever the amount is, they should be jolly grateful. …

1. Youngone Silver badge

Payment?

I'm not sure what the answer is here.

On the one hand the artists should get paid, even a total freetard like me doesn't argue about that, but on the other hand the music industry has become so consolidated over the last decade or so that the majors seem to have no interest in up and coming artists when they can control the whole career of some X-Factor type and heavily promote them into stardom.

It occurred to me as I watched the Super Bowl half time show that my father hated the music of my youth because it was loud and nasty and angry, but I hate the music of my kids' youth because it's so bland and corporate.

1. John Lilburne

Re: Payment?

Consolidation happens because the small players cannot weather a downturn in sales, they go bust or sell to a major. Freetardary is part of that cause. It happened in the software industry. For each software application there are now at most 2 alternatives. None of them are the best that could be, they are simply the ones that survived the piracy of the 90s and 20s.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

The guy who started Napster must be bloody annoyed.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Ya think?

2. Ian 55

At least one of them seems to have done all right

In any case, the music industry lost the most money by going 'A single service that has an almost monopoly on digital music? Let's sue it out of existence rather than throwing the owners a few million then making billions ourselves...'

3. ecofeco Silver badge

Cake

Eat it! EAT IT!

- Love, Marie

4. tiggity Silver badge

Same as it ever was

Labels shafting the performers, no change there.

5. Potemkine Silver badge

NSOTD

I'm gonna make a toast when it falls apart

I'm gonna raise my glass above my heart

Then someone shouts "That's what they get!"

6. Sakis Gouzonis

It is unbelievable. Are the record labels still around? They should have shut down years ago.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon