back to article Flash array biz Tegile swings axe on staff

Today we learned hybrid and all-flash array supplier Tegile has sacked half its staff in the UK, and all its staff in the Netherlands. It had only just recently opened its Dutch office. Rob Commins, Tegile’s veep for marketing, told El Reg: “First and foremost, we had an excellent fiscal 2016 that we just wrapped up on January …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

USA

Heard that folks stateside have been shown the door as well, right sizing or missing targets?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: USA

What happened to Marc Farley????

2. CheesyTheClown

SSD and Masturbators?

Isn't Tegile the Japanese company who claims to make male masturbation devices that are so good they decreased the Japanese population?

3. Aggrofish

Flash Bang Wallop

I have a Tegile array, really good piece of kit. Had it for six months now with 10Tb of data reduced to 4Tb.

Sad to hear this news, I hope it's more a reaction to future market conditions than anything else. Hopefully none of the guys I know are affected by the cuts.

4. Tom 7

Tegile

isnt that the french colloquial for 'Shut it'?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't see a lot of Tegile

[caveat I work for a company that positions and sells a variety of storage products.]

Tegile rarely pops up as the competition. We compete with a lot of products but Tegile's only popped up once or twice in the last 12 months in my patch.

Customers currently fall into 4 categories

1. buying whatever their trad vendor offers - HP, Dell, IBM, EMC, NetApp, etc

2. moving to software defined (hadoop, storage spaces, vsan, nutanix, etc.)

3. moving to cloud

4. will buy whatever their reseller is pushing. *shiny bright new objects are attractive.

on #4, if the reseller is getting better margins to position Nimble over EMC this week, Nimble will be pushed. If it's Pure's week, EMC and Nimble will take the back door.

Customers think they care but they really don't: their concern is risk mitigtion and finding someone who knows how to get the application up and running within the timeline.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I know quite a few folks stateside that have also been cut including some from positions other than field positions.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Revenue at any cost...

If I were considering Tegile storage, I would not after hearing the chief of marketing pretty much say the only thing that is important to the company is revenue. Build a solid product that performs and is well supported and the revenue will come. Chase revenue/IPO as the company goal?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Revenue at any cost...

Tegile meant the opposite of what you're saying. Other start-ups have been accused of chasing "revenue at any cost," and Wall Street has decided it doesn't like that. Tegile is saying: OK, we won't do that.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Obligatory nitpick

“First and foremost, we had an excellent fiscal 2016 that we just wrapped up on January 31."

2015, I assume...

9. Northern Storage Hunter

Tegile - fastest growing storage company in 2015

Fo those who have been living in a cave for the past few months, Tegile have just been named the fastest growing storage company in 2015..............

http://www.storagenewsletter.com/rubriques/market-reportsresearch/top-fastest-growing-storage-companies-in-2015/

As for Axe Swinging, I think there are some crossed wires as I hear the main body of people in the UK team remain and only a couple were "Axed"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like