back to article VMware kicks off new vSphere beta test

VMware is looking for people to indulge in some beta testing for a new version of vSphere. An expression of interest page has appeared and VMware's community of anointed “vExperts” has also been asked to sign up. Just what's in the beta isn't being revealed, but VMware's asking testers to move fast. Those engaged for the test …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Given all the issues I've heard about with the 6.x release

I sure as heck wouldn't be lining up to run their beta code!

2. picturethis
    FAIL

VMWare - jumped the shark tank?

Given that VMWare just canned the 800 (primary) developers of Workstation (some of whom also worked on Fusion) and it is known that Workstation was used to beta test technology that went into vSphere/ESXi, they now need someone to beta test vSphere. It looks like they've gone the Microsoft route and now want their users to be their (free) testers. My answer to them is the same as it is to Microsoft - No, Hell no....

I am currently a heavy Workstation and ESXi (5.5) user - I've always suspected that VMWare doesn't really care about Workstation, Fusion or ESXi customers now that we're in the "Cloud Era". But little do they know that they can go fuck the Cloud. My (and my company's) longer term plans are moving to Xen... given VMWare's (now) very obvious intentions. Thanks for the heads up guys!

BTW, I don't buy VMWare saying that they're moving Workstation dev to India, they're moving support there, I doubt we're going to see much else coming from there.

1. Nate Amsden

Re: VMWare - jumped the shark tank?

Not sure what new is needed in workstation. I've been a vmware workstation user since before it was called workstation, back on pre 1.0 days on linux. I bought workstation 12 on black friday because it was an ok deal at the time(upgraded from v10). But I'd want to say it's been a decade or more since there was some new killer feature in workstation that I had to have. My only reasons for staying semi up to date is OS support.

I run ESXi 5.5 for my org, and don't see us upgrading that within the next year, probably two+ years. Looks like end of support for 5.5 is 2019, so plenty of time.

There hasn't been any killer feature in ESX for me since v4.0, only reason I'm on 5.5 is for support purposes(it's working, no complaints). Nothing in Xen or KVM looks appealing yet either, thought the story would be different there by now(for KVM, I wrote Xen off many years ago) but doesn't appear to be for me anyway.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like