back to article NBN activations to rise from 10,000 per week to 8,400 ... wait, what?

Last Friday, nbnTM congratulated itself on a positive user experience and a record number of activations. With its half-year results out and an election year beginning, it's hardly surprising that the company building Australia's National Broadband Network (NBN) is touting the success of the multi-technology model with the …

1. mathew42
    FAIL

16% connected at 100Mbps

Page 9 of the half year results presentation vindicates the Liberal decision to not roll-out FTTP based on Labor's financial model and predictions. 79% connected at 25Mbps or slower. Not much point in building out FTTP when only 16% and falling (19% in 2014) are connecting at 100Mbps. No sign of RSPs offering 1Gbps plans that have been available from NBNCo since December 2013 because Labor's artificial financial model makes it impossible for RSPs to offer them at a viable price.

Compare that with Google Fibre where 1Gbps is free in public housing! Labor could have constructed a financial model without speed tiers and Australia could have been world leaders. Instead 79% on fibre are connecting at 25Mbps or slower and FTTN is being installed. Sadly this makes it perfectly reasonable that the 16% (and falling) who want 100Mbps should either move or pay for fibre on demand.

1. aberglas

Re: 16% connected at 100Mbps

Um, the reason that most people only connect at 25mbs is that they do not have any use for 100mbs. And if you are not running a data center then why would you need more than 25mbs? How many high definition TVs do you need?

I reckon most people would go for 10mbs if it was half the price. Same reason again, that is simply enough.

That was always the hole in the FTTN plan. Nobody could think of a use for super fast broadband to homes. Once you have about 10mbs, you have enough.

2. Chris Harris

Format to windows?

What a load. And the Dbag CEO thinks everyone is just as happy with the mixed mode tech and it's been put to bed. Of course everyone is happy, they suddenly have way faster internet. It's the lack of forward thinking that is going to mean the network will have to be built again in the future to accommodate everyone because of their "cheaper" plan. Not wanting to get political on this cause it's like pissing in the wind but it's a stupid dumbass plan, selling out for greedy monoploies and murdoch's a C*nt blah blah blah

1. mathew42
      FAIL

Re: Format to windows?

> Of course everyone is happy, they suddenly have way faster internet.

Except that very few (16% and falling have access to way faster internet. Those people with faster than average ADSL2+ (11Mbps or higher) may find that if the choose the lower speed tier that their speed falls.

The ironic part is that if NBNCo abandoned speed tiers on FTTP average speeds in Australia would jump substantially.

3. aberglas

The key statistic is black spots

Whether you have 1.5mbs or 25 mbs or 100 mbs you still have internet. 1.5mbs wont support high definition video but it will support everything else.

But if you do not have 1.5mbs then you do not have anything. No internet at all. Those people are the real losers.

So the key statistic, never quoted, is how many people that do not have internet have got it recently. And that mainly means fixed wireless.

(Many people without internet are near or in big cities, for various bad reasons.)

1. mathew42

Re: The key statistic is black spots

> So the key statistic, never quoted, is how many people that do not have internet have got it recently. And that mainly means fixed wireless.

I agree, but Labor cancelled OPEL which would have delivered very much the same results as NBN fixed wireless only 6-8 years earlier. We know this because Internode were using the same technology on York Peninsula and Murraylands in South Australia.

It is also well known that suburbs established after 1970s are where Telstra installed RIMs rather than building new exchanges. Labor should have focused on these suburbs first to deliver the quickest return.

2. jebdra

Re: The key statistic is black spots

Living in regional NSW town, the best on offer is 1.5mbs, but I've never actually got it due to exchange congestion. Wireless is no good. I have to go out on the back deck to get a Telstra signal. The whole suburb is the same.

When I read arguments about fttp, fttn, 10mb, 25mb, 100mb - I cry. And I'm sure there are a lot of people around Australia in the same situation. At least I've got adsl. Some ares still on dial-up.

4. Giraffe67

NBN = NoBloodyNetwork

I'm sick and tired of hearing about NBN, feekin adds all day saying how wonderful it is.

It is not national, it's not even close. It's just politicians, media companies and telco's playing with each others organs and telling each other how wonderful they are while they live in their city.

It's a crock, and any poli who tells me "You will be able to get it soon" has his hand on his bits.

Shove your 100, 25, 10 or 1.5mb. Shove your HD streaming TV.

I'd be happy just to be able to get ADSL at 512k.

Ten minutes on whirlpool and it's obvious I'm not the only one.

Them, - Hi 'me', we are calling to let you know NBN is available in your area.

Me, - I know you think it is, but it isn't, go away and stop teasing me.

Them, - Let me just check on that...... yes I can confirm we can provide NBN to you.

Me, - Yeah, no you cannot. But don't believe me, go ahead and arrange it, then you can find out for yourself.

Two days later - some form of contact saying sorry you are too far away.

I've had this conversation more than once, guess what, still no NBN, still no ADSL either.

The exchange is 4.1km away on a dirt road, all I can get is 3G (DON'T you dare tell me I can get 4G). The bloke across the road isn't tho he's got ADSL.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like