back to article Intel, Qualcomm set up their WiGig 802.11ad devices on blind dates

Intel and Qualcomm say they have gotten their respective 802.11ad (WiGig) chips and antennas to successfully link up. The two chipmakers announced on Tuesday they are now confident that (under the right conditions) devices with Intel WiGig hardware can link up to Qualcomm-powered base stations at the full 4.6Ghz connection …

1. Mage Silver badge

Range?

Pretty nearly Line Of Sight. At least with a light based network connection, if the LED room lamp / "air point" is shining on your shiny thing you know it might work. Your hand or a cubical wall can shield 60GHz.

I'm certainly not wanting to pay extra. How much extra are we all going to pay in chip costs and Qualcomm royalties if idiots make this nearly pointless tech standard in phones, tablets and laptops?

2. alantalkstech

I don't think this is true. With beam forming it should be possible to bounce off walls, to get around obstacles. I think this technology will improve over time. We do not have enough spectrum, mm wave lengths give us a lot to play with. There is going to be a lot of effort put in to exploit these mm wave lengths. There is a lot of money at stake, so a big motivation to overcome the current problems. Its early days yet but take a look at this link: http://www.forbes.com/sites/patrickmoorhead/2015/11/20/qualcomm-shows-the-companys-first-5g-demo-at-5g-industry-analyst-day/#3ff170cb4ebb

1. Stuart Halliday

I'll wait for "ah" thank you very much...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like