back to article Fired Norse Corp CEO blames the media

Norse Corp cofounder Sam Glines has hit out at the media after he was fired on Monday as CEO of the threat intelligence company. In January, The Register broke the news that Norse was laying off a sizable chunk of its workforce. Since then, the biz's website has been up and down, and it appears that its operations are grinding …

1. Candy

Threat Information Tool

And nary an acronym in sight...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Clearly a management genius (in his head)

Pretty much translates to, I can not be blamed for my house of cards just falling apart.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Clearly a management genius (in his head)

Yup. It's all everybody else's fault.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Clearly a management genius (in his head)

"Yup. It's all everybody else's fault."

It always is.

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2016/02/01/university_of_manchesters_it_director_resigns/#c_2765531

3. raving angry loony

Sales weasels.

quote: sold product capabilities that Norse simply didn't have in place yet.

So how is this different from any other company I worked for? Sales were always selling stuff that didn't exist, then blaming the techs when we told them (and the client) that it couldn't be done. I lost a lucrative position because I had I point out to the client that the functionality claimed by the sales rep simply didn't exist in what they had been sold. Although it was the sales weasel that lied, I was the one turfed from my position. Sales is about lying and getting away with it. I fail to see ho this company was any different from others?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sales weasels.

Are you the source of this?

http://dilbert.com/strip/2015-12-27

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I've lost count how many times that has happened to us.

By the time we've bought in the hardware / software / licensing to do the job, the profit magin is usually around 0 or in negative figures,

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Holmes

Necessity-driven ignorance of basic facts springs eternal.

If one is "very cheaper / faster / better" than the competition, there is probably a heap of debt, technical, personal or otherwise, accumulating in the corner, studiously ignored by (sometimes overly youthful) management waiting for the "escape velocity" to take over.

The fact that customers demand the moon and a complimentary iPad for a sum that might support a lone siberian survivalist living on beans for a month does not help.

(Also a nice foreshadowing what will happen to lots of companies once the cheap paper money dires up and the monetary bubble inevitably collapses)

2. Norm DePlume

It says something that the one time I know of where a sales weasel lost their job for promises that couldn't be delivered, I didn't believe it to be true until we got the e-mail.

It turned out he'd made the mistake of lying to the company as well as the client. "Oh yes, I've got *loads* of customers if we just develop it like this". After a lot of development work, we discovered, guess what, no customers.

3. Bloakey1
      Coat

Weasels? I thought it was "aN orse" <sic>.

Clip clop.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For real though

What's so sad here are ALL the people that are hurt. Great wonderful and very talented people. Sadly companies don't make it. Happens almost all the time now a days. It doesn't mean the company was a "scam". It Ran for what? 6 years with their investment money. From what I see they strived to hire the best in the business. It was a start up company trying to make it big with big technology and big talent. People spent hours away from their families at the office, on planes, traveling to different cities or countries working incredibly long hours. I'm not sure there is one person who is not emotionally or physically upset at the outcome so far. The truth is that there are amazing people who are now in need of amazing jobs to support their self and/or families. I truly believe everyone ( even the CEO & CTO) gave 200% and believed in this company and its employees. People need to form together to help one another and not bash each other down. I know we would like to believe we have all the facts but almost always we really don't. Good luck to all.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Classy

Classy. And if you read The official statement he does take responsiblity.

Thumb Up

Re: Classy

Yes he does.

6. frank ly

Management basics

"... some staff were promised a significant bonus upon completion. ..... and the bonus wasn't forthcoming. ..... Norse agreed to stop withholding the bonuses after one of the programmers threatened to sue."

Every competent manager knows that it's money which motivates people to do a good job and that it's easy to lie to technical staff and get away with it.

7. GrumpenKraut

It's rare to see such animosity towards a CEO, ...

Erm, no.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's rare to see such animosity towards a CEO, ...

LOL, wait.....everyone doesn't love their boss? People always have to have someone to blame I guess.

8. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Curious omission

I do want to address the implication that the company was somehow conducting less than above-board operations. The word ‘scam’ was used

He then goes on to say how hurtful it was for this ex-employee to use that word. Nowhere that I can see does he get even close to denying the accusation though, let alone refuting it.

1. Bloakey1

Re: Curious omission

I thought that as well. the elephant was in the room shitting all over the carpet and he did acknowledge it being there but did nothing to alleviate the smell such as cleaning up and opening the window.

Surely refuting that comment should have been his first step,

Re: Curious omission

Yeah, do you really need to.

"Hey, Bloakey1, I know you are running meth lab in your mom's basement."

Then what?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A piece all right

Who on earth does that let alone WRITE about it. I thought this was a classy sight. I guess not.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like