back to article Stylish Vaio biz mobe is flying this way – ah, it's got Windows 10 inside

Last year Sony offloaded its Vaio PC division and brand, and it was snapped up by a private equity outfit. The new owner promised to make luxury tech hardware that was irresistibly attractive. It's now unveiled its first Vaio phone, a stylish aluminium design, aimed at business people. What can go wrong? Well, nothing. Apart …

1. Chika
    Coat

Whoopsie!

Mind you, the question of why Sony got shot of the division could have a key influence on why they would have put W10 in there.

We can but wait and see...

2. Steve Gill

Wonder how much they've 'updated' the software, could be interesting

3. Pookietoo
    Black Helicopters

I wonder if "someone" decided that W10 devices couldn't be properly high end as long as they were marketed by Microsoft, but the Vaio brand still had sufficient cachet.

4. P. Lee
    Joke

First the Tennis

Now smartphones paid to take a dive?

5. YARR

Unbiased reporting there as ever.

My guess is they're aiming at businesses, because business buyers usually justify their purchases for rational reasons. Windows Phone would have a larger market share if most phone buyers were rational.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Linux

El Reg hating on MSFT?

You're quite wrong. In El Reg's view, even business users must have Snapshat and 100s of fart apps for the OS to be acceptable.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: El Reg hating on MSFT?

As if Android or iPhone users were using fart apps and snapwhatever.

You sound like a sophist and probably a paid Microshaft shill...

Maybe Microshaft is going to take over Vaio next and wreck it. They may need another tax write off to fund all of Gate's poisoned immunizations he uses to do his part for eugenics and population reduction. Its a long way to go to the 500 million population cap they wrote on their guide stone.

2. Terry Barnes

Yes, what business wants perfect office, skype for business and exchange integration, zero security issues to date and a good price point?

1. RyokuMas
        Stop

zero security issues to date

To be fair, security by obscurity is no security at all - if the platform gained more traction, it would be more heavily targeted.

But at the moment, why make the effort when smartphone OS with the biggest market share (by a long way) is also the easiest to break into?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"To be fair, security by obscurity is no security at all - if the platform gained more traction, it would be more heavily targeted."

There are millions and millions of Windows Phones out there in the wild. They're hardly obscure. More likely that they are secure by design.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"There are millions and millions of Windows Phones out there in the wild."

And even more Linux desktops/laptops, and I've yet to see malware for those... Perhaps there's more to say about minimal market share after all? Or maybe security does have an effect, in which case one could argue that as a merit for both platforms.

What interesting times we live in!

3. BebopWeBop

as a business phone (or even a personal one - I bought one for my old aged mum), it is solid, good value for money, probably more secure than the average Android phone (despite MSFT shenanigans), and has the apps a business user should need. Not sure, but flappy birds might also be available.....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

WP

Indeed flappy birds and a lot more are available. I recently swapped from Android to WP8.1 after several sync and call drop issues and I am pleasantly surprised by the WP experience, I don't know what Orlowski is smoking, a journo should be far more objective than that.

1. Dan Wilkie

Re: WP

I have a Galaxy S5 for my own use, I didn't like the iPhone when I had that. But for work use I have a Lumia 640. It's not a shiny phone by any stretch, but as a work mobile for Lync, Outlook, opening office documents and making calls it works perfectly, and even our least savvy users were able to set it up fine.

I'd say that's the market they're aiming for.

2. Andrew Orlowski (Written by Reg staff)

You haven't been paying attention. WP8.1 is rock solid. I'm using it now.

W10M on the other hand...

1. Dan Wilkie

I'll be honest I lose track. I know it started out good, then they changed something and it turned crap. Then they changed something else and it went back to good again. Is it crap again now?

I can't wait till we get it pushed down to all the ones here :'(

Why don't they just wait till the change something, make it good, and then leave it the hell alone?

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Businesses need a strong and well-developed app ecosystem

which is invariably based on the size of the installed base of phones, and also as a future indicator, the current sales market share, quarter by quarter.

On both these counts, business would be advised to steer clear of deploying Windows phones until one or other of these two measures hits 10% of the global (or US) market.

1. Terry Barnes

Re: Businesses need a strong and well-developed app ecosystem

"On both these counts, business would be advised to steer clear of deploying Windows phones until one or other of these two measures hits 10% of the global (or US) market."

You've not really thought that through have you?

In other news, doctors advise man to hold off on eating until he's put some weight on.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Unbiased reporting there as ever.

"My guess is they're aiming at businesses, because business buyers usually justify their purchases for rational reasons. Windows Phone would have a larger market share if most phone buyers were rational."

Yeah, sure! If it doesn't coincide with your acquired opinion, its 'biased' and 'not rational'. So clever!

Because your opinion is ground zero for all opinions. Your point of origin for all thought and perception (or lack thereof). It must be right, since all others are just props in Your world.

The only thing outside your opinion (which you have no idea really, how it got to be 'yours') that you will believe every time is the propaganda your TV blasts into your head with the evening news, because they have figured out how to influence smart and stupid alike. No matter if you're a genius or an imbecile, if you watch it, your mind will be twisted by it, to the point you don't even know who you are anymore. The Aleister Crowley followers in TV programming have got you right where they want you.

6. Chris G

Business Plan

"The new owner promised to make luxury tech hardware that was irresistibly attractive"

Usually a new undertaking requires a business plan of some sort, which, if you are pitching at any kind of market but especially the luxury market should include at least a sentence about market research. Clearly their's didn't!

As a slight aside an earlier W10 thread had a recommendation to download GWX to prevent all the WX silliness from MS, I strongly recommend it too, my Win7 machine is now a totally WX free zone!

1. Dan Wilkie

Re: Business Plan

See, 4channers can do good things sometimes too!

7. Ali Um Bongo
    Thumb Down

Looks Like....

The HTC One M8's uglier cousin.

8. url

As a 950 XL user

literally the only issue I have with Win10 on the phone is the constant barrage of bleating attacks from the echo chambers.

Otherwise it's perfectly lovely, and the camera is quite simply outstanding.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: As a 950 XL user

It's going to be my next buy, dual SIM version.

1. Steve Gill

Re: As a 950 XL user

Only had one for a couple of weeks but very happy so far

9. msknight

Perhaps someone can explain...

Now, I'm not a lover of Microshite by any means, but the one good thing I've heard is Windows on mobiles has been a reasonable operating system and of my colleagues who have it... they like it. So, why the downer on Win 10 on mobe? Did I miss a memo?

1. Franco

Re: Perhaps someone can explain...

Most people I know like it, but there's a lot of bad press.

Phone looks good though, and supports wireless Continuum according to Windows Central. Micro USB and not USB-C though, so no wired connections and no info about USB OTG.

2. Dan Wilkie

Re: Perhaps someone can explain...

Sure - The Reg is back on Apples Christmas card list and they don't want to get taken off it!

10. Franco

Typical AO article these days, disses a product unseen because of WM.

1. Andrew Orlowski (Written by Reg staff)

I'm testing WM10.

Much improvement since December, but a long way to go to meet the reliability of WP81.

I could say thats a "typical comment by Franco", but it's Friday.

1. Steve Gill

Agreed on the big improvements recently, a few more of those and it'll be great

2. Franco

You could indeed say it's a typical comment by me, and you would be correct. As you can see from this thread and the others I have commented on I am far from alone in being critical of some of the articles on El Reg recently regarding Microsoft.

11. Triggerfish

Whats winphone like in Japan? Just asking because just had to buy a new phone in Vietnam and I got the general impression of "Whats Windows Phone" from a lot of people, seemed it was all Android and Iphone out there, although it was for sale in the shops.

12. PeterM42
    Flame

I can't really see.....

...Microsoft making significant inroads into a market dominated by something which works well, is "universal" and cost-effective (Android) or over-priced and sold to "believers" (IOS).

Microcrap missed the boat on smartphones and are now in the process of screwing up the PC market which they used to "own".

Roll on the Android desktop/laptop.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like