back to article Row over GCHQ-built voice algo MIKEY SAKKE rumbles on

GCHQ has defended its controversial MIKEY-SAKKE phone encryption protocol against criticism that it leaves a backdoor into systems that support the technology. The CESG assurance arm of the UK government’s signal intelligence agency has taken the unusual step of publishing a background document and FAQ in defence of the …

1. frank ly
    Happy

re. "... backhanded compliment."

That was a clenched fist compliment.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

I can haz eavezdrops?

2. phuzz Silver badge
      Thumb Up

If you look to the left of the Comment button, you'll see a link to the "Tips and corrections" email address, which is a much better place to send typos than just leaving a comment.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. codefu

John was quoting me verbatim, so the mistake is all mine. Though not perfect, I don't think I write with poor grammar generally. It was just a lack of proof-reading on my behalf in this instance. I hope this doesn't detract from the arguments made.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. cantankerous swineherd

"Only the owners of individual

systems can access and decrypt conversations, if they want to."

they may "want" to decrypt if they've been threatened with financial ruin and imprisonment by a secret court? speaking entirely hypothetically, of course.

1. gnasher729 Silver badge

Frankly, a knee jerk reaction based on not understanding the subject. As end user of Mikey Sakke, you have no expectation of privacy for your conversations. Your organisation may already have a legal requirement to provide all conversations when requested, for example in the financial industry. If your organisation is subpoenas, they have to provide everything. No need to have a secret court, open public courts will do that right now.

If one financial trader discusses his sex life with another financial trader over company provided Mikey Sakke, then they are both idiots.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When is a backdoor not a backdoor?

when its a patio door!..........maybe they're playing with words?

1. Cynical Observer
      Coat

Re: When is a backdoor not a backdoor?

Patio Door

AKA French Windows. The French government doesn't like strong encryption and has been making noises about having lower grades. Windows is sometimes cited as being not as secure as other platforms.

Blimey - they're all at it now.

Coat - it's draughty around here with all these doors and windows that are not secure.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: When is a backdoor not a backdoor?

Somehow I had an image in my head of Morpheus from The Matrix asking me that, got an uneasy feeling there's a clever answer I can't see........

6. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Happy

Sound like they're just taking the Micky

See title.

1. P. Lee
      Unhappy

Re: Sound like they're just taking the Micky

Or giving the Mickey to you.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like