back to article 'Dodgy Type-C USB cable fried my laptop!'

Getting hold of USB-C cables can be a pain, but a Google engineer has found one that actually qualifies as dangerous after it broke three pieces of hardware, including a very expensive Pixel Chromebook. Googler Benson Leung has been on a quest to try out the latest USB Type-C cables and find those that aren't up to snuff. …

1. Mike 125

Oh, for a sensible cable...

There's no middle ground for cables. It's the race to the bottom versus diamond studded, single crystal idiocy. I'd pay a tenner for a demonstrably good quality, flexible USB3 cable. But there is no such product. Stupid capitalism, thinks it's so great...

1. Peter 26

Re: Oh, for a sensible cable...

The Amazon basics range isn't bad. The idea is to make a cheap basic product, but you know (hope) some amount of testing went on before they were allowed to give it the Amazon name.

1. Mage Silver badge

The Amazon that has a 110-240V charger (for Kindle) with a CE mark but USA pair of blade connectors?

How on earth does ANYTHING with a USA mains plug (only, not interchangeable like some clever travel PSUs) get a CE mark, even if it internally can work on UK electricity?

Oh, it fails massively on EMI (RF interference) when actually charging anything. Perhaps the FCC / CE tests for RFI/EMI were done with no load?

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

CE is a process of self-certification for the European market.

Anything that directly plugs into a UK socket needs to meet BS standard (can't remember off the top of my head - 6689?)

I've noticed, reading the comments on products, that sellers who might have "questionable" electrically wise kit on Amazon are happy to say CE and "safe" but avoid answering questions re actual electrical standards, and invite the buyer to discuss it off-Amazon.

2. ksb1972

"How on earth does ANYTHING with a USA mains plug (only, not interchangeable like some clever travel PSUs) get a CE mark, even if it internally can work on UK electricity?"

Probably because in this instance the manufacturer (Chinese no doubt) thinks CE stands for Chinese Export and has probably never heard of Conformité Européenne or chooses to ignore it?

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Anyone can put a sticky label on the stuff they're selling...

1. Peter Simpson 1

Quality Chinese Engineering, at its best.

Backed up by 100% inspection (if the customer is watching) and rigorous agency testing by "Random Chinese Testing Agency You've Never Heard Of"

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Does that mean all shavers that have 2 pin plugs fail CE too?

1. Mage Silver badge

Shaver 2 pin plugs are not USA blades. They are for a power limited transformer isolated sockets. They are based either on Europlug or old UK 5A plug (not the same).

The Blade spacing and shape of Kindle charger with CE mark is USA only. Quite different and narrower spacing than any European plug. There ARE travel adaptor chargers with interchangeable pins. The offending charger isn't a travel type, it's USA flat blade only. It's true that all most shaver outlets have a 110V outlet that will take USA plug. Shaver outlets are NOT the same as as Euro or UK to 2 pin adaptor (of any kind), they are isolated and power limited with a transformer.

5. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Because if it is to be sold in the European market as a travel accessory for example, it would require to a CE mark to be legally marketable.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The Amazon basic replacement for the Apple old style connector to USB looks better put together than Apple's own. Better cable support at the plug - which is where Apple cables fail in my experience.

2. Bronek Kozicki

@Mike 125 My wife can attest that I love buying cables. And I know where to look for good quality ones : Blue Jeans Cable .

1. Frank Marsh

I like their site, and may try them out for new speaker cable. But they don't appear to have much selection in the way of USB-C cables.

3. Preston Munchensonton
      FAIL

Stupid capitalism, thinks it's so great...

Exactly! We need the government to step in and make everything perfect! I'm sure we'll never have this happen again!

Oh wait...

2. BurnT'offering

To be fair ...

... the manufacturer's name is Surjtech.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: To be fair ...

They also sell scented USB cables.

It's a rather piquant scent featuring bass notes of burning electronics with hints of cyanide and fire engine.

1. Steven Raith

Re: To be fair ...

"I'm getting rosewood, I'm getting heavy industry fallout, I'm getting the smell of the ones and zeroes escaping in a pall of blue smoke....I'm getting a strange, burning feeling in my legOH SH-"

I think I'll give high power USB a miss till it's matured, somewhat. Thankfully, I'm utterly skint so that's not really a problem at the moment.

Steven "gizza job, mate?" R

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is the reality of cheap stuff... and you get to know that the people making it aren't being paid much either.

1. Mage Silver badge

Cheap stuff

But I have bought < €5 HDMI cables, USB, regular, micro and mini USB that are perfectly fine. Expensive ones that were rubbish (One expensive USB cable didn't use twisted pair for data, seemed to be made out of four core Alarm wire cable with no screen.)

Price of cables seems to have no connection to quality. See Monster and Maplin own brand cables pricing.

4. itzman
    Facepalm

Who ever designed..

...a mobo/USB standard/Chipset that could be fried by a miswired plug?

1. John Robson Silver badge

Re: Who ever designed..

So you think that applying 12W through the data pins should result in unicorns frolicking rather than the release of the magic blue smoke?

2. Dale 3
      Facepalm

Indeed. Does the USB spec not include short circuit and/or overcurrent protection, or did the expensive hardware not implement it?

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

I've damaged a 3.5" external HDD by mistakenly using a 19v laptop psu, instead of a 12v PSU. My fault, though I had some ill thoughts towards the world that would use the same physical connector for both.

Luckily, snipping a certain diode off the HDD's PCB got it working again, in theory indefinitely (though I copied the data off pronto). And yeah, had I been more responsible with my back up routine, I wouldn't have needed to go that length.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Hehe!

It doesn't help that PSUs don't come branded "Seagate" or "WD", which would make reuniting the right PSU to the right gadget easier, but instead all seem to be labelled "Asian Power Supplies"

I think the troublesome 19v PSU came with an Alba LCD TV that someone bought - it was just as useless as it sounds. I either snipped the cable off the PSU, or wrapped it up in red insulation tape, I can't remember!

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Yep. Been there done that. Fried a few bits with the wrong PSU. I even triped the whole house the other day when putting in a power connector on some very old caddies with IDE Disks inside (USB2). These had a Bin Plug type Power connector. Another brand of device that used almost identical packaging uad the 12v wired around the other way. Get it wrong and things trip out.

All the new stuff that needs external power gets a stickly label slapped on the device and wrapped around the cable end of the PSU. The different colours allow me to easily detect the right power cable for the device. So far I've not needed more than 6 different colours.

2. Arthur the cat Silver badge

@Dave 126 Re: Who ever designed..

It doesn't help that PSUs don't come branded "Seagate" or "WD", which would make reuniting the right PSU to the right gadget easier, but instead all seem to be labelled "Asian Power Supplies"

Get a Dymo labeller and label the power supply when you unbox it. It'll save your sanity as well as your devices.

3. Stoneshop
              Boffin

Probably way too sensible: get out the labelmaker and put a label on the PSU indicating what device it belongs to, the moment you unpack the stuff. Maybe less urgent if both the device and the PSU have clearly-readable power markings and/or unique power plugs, but still useful IMO.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. The Rest of the Sheep

My power warts get labeled with silver sharpie. It doesn't fall off like old dried out sticky labels.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/application-note/an19fc.pdf

What a beatiful document! Other excerpts:

1. Transformer Wired Backwards

Those dots indicate polarity, not smashed flies.

5. Fred’s Inductor (Or Transformer)

Inductors are not like lawn mowers. If you want to

borrow the one out of Fred’s drawer, make sure it’s the

right value for your application

7. Rat’s Nest Wiring

The LT1070 is not a jelly bean op amp that can be wired

up with 2-foot clip leads.

3. Manolo
            Mushroom

Brilliant document:

"Mysterious modes, sudden failures,

peculiar regulation characteristics and just plain explosions

are common occurrences during the design of a

switching regulator."

2. JeffyPoooh
        Pint

Symon "but it would cost, and you would lose efficiency."

Yes, no.

There are plenty of clever circuit ideas that can provide polarity reversal protection, without the efficiency reduction (voltage drop) of the more-obvious series diode schemes.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. DropBear
            Trollface

Well, you can always drive a pair of relays depending on the applied polarity...

1. JeffyPoooh
              Pint

DropBear "...relays..."

Relays need power. The "perfect" solution requires latching relays.

;-)

2. Adrian 4

@Symon:

An inline self-resetting fuse and a reverse-biased diode across the supply (so reversed polarity blows the fuse) won't lose you any efficiency. You do need to be sure the power supply won't just run hot instead of opening the fuse when presented with the forward-biased diode.

3. JeffyPoooh
            Pint

Arbitrarily low power loss, all the way to perfectly zero as follows...

Latching (magnetically held) relays, one to isolate and the other wired to reverse polarity. A solar powered supervisory circuit examines and corrects the polarity, before connecting it. The supervisory circuit triggers the system off in the event of a sudden reversal. A parallel diode eats the reverse pulse for the milliseconds needed. Perfect. And ZERO loss.

As that's impractically expensive, just use a low R-on FET. Really low loss.

3. Allan George Dyer
        Headmaster

"If someone wires the CPC (earth) wire to the live terminal, it's not the toaster manufacturer's fault."

It is, if the toaster has a molded plug.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Yes. It is called 1 cable for power, 1 cable for data.

I'll get my coat. Because truth be damned to cost cutting and "progress" labelled over marketing.

5. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

It's a pretty dumb design decision for a laptop to be powered through the USB socket and NOT put any sort of surge / short-circuit protection in there.

In fact, it's a pretty dumb design decision for a laptop to be powered through the USB socket full stop. A nice example of form-over-function. I suppose Apple can get away with this, as the expected service life of their devices is measured in months, before they con encourage their customers into an upgrade.

1. jeremyjh

I've got a 5-year-old MBP that is doing substantially better than its PC laptop equivalent would be. But it predates soldering everything to the everything else and then coating it all in glue.

1. imaginarynumber

And what is it about your 5 year old Mac that is so magical?

(sent from my 2010 Sony Vaio Z11- with a removable battery)

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

>And what is it about your 5 year old Mac that is so magical?

>(sent from my 2010 Sony Vaio Z11- with a removable battery)

VAIOs and Macs have a lot in common. The whole VAIO brand was created by a Japanese fan of the Esslinger design of the Mac, after he created the Playstaion. After Steve Jobs ended the official Mac-clone program, he wanted to make an exception for Sony VAIO kit, since they had been testing OSX on Intel. FireWire. AV editing. Premium price. Proprietary on occasion. Early adoption of Thunderbolt. Former proponents of the PC as 'digital hub'. Etc

- Digital Dreams: The Work of the Sony Design Center ISBN-13: 978-0789302625

- http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/5/5380832/sony-vaio-apple-os-x-steve-jobs-meeting-report

-http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/sony-vaio-z-series-laptop-boasts-external-graphics-and-thunderbolt-tech/

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> I suppose Apple can get away with this, as the expected service life of their devices is measured in months.

Can you please supply a link to support your claim? It does seem at odds with every UK Consumer Association report I've read in the last few years. I'm curious if there is anything I've overlooked that would account for your point of view given the data available.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/consumer-reports-notebook-reliability-survey/

http://www.digitaltrends.com/buying-guides/which-laptops-are-the-most-reliable/

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/laptops/LaptopReliability

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The point was not that Apple equipment fails, but that Apple "fails" it by offering newer and shinier in a matter of months. More a comment on Apple's consumers than on Apple. I've found Apple equipment to be solidly built and reliable (68K and Power based, to be sure). My daughter, although not my son, would concur, although she has moved on to Samsung and Microsoft, while he recently bought an iPhone 6.

Anonymous to try to sidestep family friction.

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Support for my claim:

In eight years, twelve versions of the iPhone have been released. I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to count the number of MacBooks there have been, or iPods or iPads, etc. etc.

A significant part of Apple's business model is convincing their customers that they need to make that 'n+1' upgrade.

I was making no comment on the robustness or longevity of the hardware, merely its service life - i.e. how long it will actually be used for.

5. Disko
    Facepalm

Who the hell...

...tests suspicious cables with expensive equipment, when with a simple multimeter or even an LED it's quite easy to figure out how a cable is wired. +1 for getting everybody's attention though

1. John Robson Silver badge

Re: Who the hell...

It wasn't *that* suspicious first time. I'll side with you on the second analyser though.

2. Mage Silver badge
      Facepalm

I even use "disposable" €5 DMM if I'm suspicious of a PSU. Or an old mechanical AVO if it might have more than 250V (I've seen the €5 DMM die with blue flash on the 750V range with 450V DC).

Certainly I'd make a custom jig with a host and slave socket and switchable load as well as switchable signal source and "eye" test data error meter. You can't test cable performance for data with out an expensive test meter as it will either work or not on "real" gear without knowing margin. The power aspect needs measure of voltage drop vs load (a DMM might not reveal the real story) while wiggle cable and plug.

Doesn't sound like proper lab testing.

3. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

I can only guess he wasn't testing the manufacturing quality of cables, simply the performance of cables with an expectation of there being no fatal manufacturing defects.

With hindsight I imagine he realises it was a rather misguided idea to simply try another analyser which blew up, caught fire, sank into the swamp, just like the first one.

But he's not the first person to have had a failure and a naive belief it was a one off rather than a systemic fault. As anyone who ever had a second VHS tape chewed up can probably testify.

4. bob, mon!
      Angel

"...tests suspicious cables with expensive equipment..."

Someone whose employer is buying the equipment?

5. usbac Silver badge

Someone that works for a company that can afford to burn bundles of $100 bills to heat the building?

6. Adrian 4

I doubt it was 'an expensive bit of equipment'. They'd usually tolerate a bit of abuse. It was probably one (two) of those £5 USB current meters from ebay.

6. Tom 7

Not just sensible cables please - sensible hardware too!

Many moons ago (a habit I must stop) I popped a £1599 1.6Gbyte brand new hard drive in and it started smoking. It was returned and replaced but while it was away I used the power lead (which came with the drive) to fry another drive. It had the 12 and 0V swapped over!!

I've discovered a lot of random choices on devices that use those round power plugs. A few diodes here and there would save a lot of money - but then I guess ignoring standards is a pathetic attempt to get more.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Not just sensible cables please - sensible hardware too!

And yet I have a selection of more than a dozen sleeve-and-tip connectors in a draw (they came with a universal laptop PSU), of every internal and external diameter, some with pins. Engineers had this selection to choose from, yet they still arrived at using the same connector for 12v and 19v.

And yeah, sleeve-type connectors make tracing the polarity tricky, too.

Once these USB-C teething troubles are ironed out, I look forward to the ensuing sanity of powering bigger kit. Just as 5v 0.5A / 1.5A has become convenient for smaller gadgets.

1. Ivan Headache

"yet they still arrived at using the same connector for 12v and 19v."

and ac & dc too!

Had this with some routers from D-Link (IIRC - could have been Linksys).

Identical looking units - some ac and some dc.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It's a very flexible specification.

Outer - some volts

Inner - different number of volts

2. Kevin Johnston

Ah yes...

altogether now...'the nice thing about standards is there are so many to choose from'

3. Arthur the cat Silver badge

A few diodes here and there would save a lot of money

The problem is that diodes have a voltage drop across them, ~0.7 V for standard Si, ~0.4 for Schottky diodes. That means you have to design for a slightly lower power rail *and* have to have a large enough diode to dissipate the heat if you're taking any significant current.

4. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Human error

Usually human error... in the latest adventure of "The Avengers", the superheroes build a time machine... all of them, including Squirrel Girl, a charming young woman who has powers (and proportionate tail length) of a squirrel, and her sidekick Tippy-Toe... who is a squirrel. And is colour blind (despite also being a girl squirrel).

Red-green cable coding mix-up hilarity ensues.

People make mistakes is what I'm saying (and so do squirrels).

But testing the equipment before it leaves the factory would be a welcome courtesy.

1. Alistair
        Windows

Re: Human error

@RCarnegie:

Judging from the daily presence of either a peanut or a walnut on my front porch windowsill, I'd say that the squirrels are somewhat more reliable than the humans.

Not talking about the post office.......

7. styx-tdo

or let's get more expensive...

HP and Dell notebooks. compatible plugs. Reversed polarity... *sigh*

8. imaginarynumber

Benson's list of leads is here

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wJwqv3rTNmORXz-XJsQaXK1dl8I91V4-eP_sfNVNzbA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=0

Having purchased a Lumia 950XL, which has "fast charging" rather than "quick charging", I have been looking for suitable chargers. I guess I am gonna have to stump up £20 for a USB-C charger. I would have preferred a 3 AMP charger with both USB-A and USB-C ports but thus far they look a tad iffy.

(BTW you cant "fast charge" using USB-A to USB-C)

9. DanceMan

Standards

Given that CSA and maybe UL have mandated that every different AC voltage and amperage plug must be different and have set the standards, why can't they set some standards at least for polarity and voltage and AC or DC on the clusterfuck that exists among mini-plugs?

10. Mike 16

Whippersnappers

My personal best (worst?) involved getting a bit too hasty with the wiring of a Teletype(tm) machine. accidentally bypassed the resistor in series with the selector magnets (ask your grandpa). The sparks from the keyboard were impressive, as was the sight of the selector magnets charring as I leaned on the NULL key (no break key) while fumbling madly for the power switch around back.

One I observed (but not my fault) involved an outsourced PCB for a custom PDP-11 peripheral. The designer had confused the specs for Solder and Component side. After a quick bench check for obvious DC issues (jumpers to the filter caps for power), it was placed in the chassis and the system powered up. -12V went into the board's +5 terminal, then out all the common bus lines to torch every board in the system.

Oh, yeah, I forgot the recirculating pump for the hot tub on a house I once bought. The manual (air remote) switch was wired in parallel to a timer that would make sure the water was circulated often enough to stay filtered. Of course, the leads were crossed, so if someone left it running on the manual switch long enough for the 4AM timer to kick in, there would be a dead short across 240V mains. Found by inspection while fixing some other dodgy stuff, not by investigating a loud bang at 4AM.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like