back to article Berkeley boffins build cut-price robo-crutches, er, sci-fi exoskeleton

Exoskeletons designed to help the paralyzed to walk again are usually expensive and bulky, but a startup from University of California at Berkeley has built a lightweight version that's about half the cost of the nearest competitor. Dubbed Phoenix, the 12.25kg (27lb) exoskeleton uses low-cost motors and some high-end computing …

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

As it has some sort of wireless interface (article didn't specify the type) I hope they had "security" on their to-do-list.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Why? Where would the Wallace-and-Grommit-inspired remote-controlled Techno-Trouser fun be in that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wrong_Trousers

2. hatti

If security == no, upload can-can algorithm

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pretty sure if you're disabled $40,000 to restore a decent amount of freedom would be cheap.

Less help required in the house, able to go do your own shopping, able to get up stairs, less need to have specially designed surfaces in the kitchen and around the rest of the house, seat stores, exercise, lots of other things I suspect. Depending on what kind of mobility it can restore to what kind of disabilities.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Why AC, what you said is reasonable to the man on the Clapham Omnibus? Have a drink on me.

4. Ugotta B. Kiddingme
    Pint

top shelf boffinry

quite literally giving some folks a leg up. Well done.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

> HULC

Love it.

Another "let's think of a cool word first, then see how we can turn it into an acronym".

6. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Regarding the title ..

er .. there's nothing funny about people who are paralyzed ...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like