back to article Pentagon can't check F-35 maintenance thanks to insecure database

The US Pentagon is unable to check in on key maintenance of the hugely expensive F-35 Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) thanks to information security failings with a Lockheed Martin database. Engine and airframe maintenance data contained in the database is inaccessible because it is non-compliant with US Cyber Command's security …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

That's My DoD!

Hasn't changed a bit in the quarter century since I left.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: That's My DoD!

The scope of the fail is truly breathtaking. I guess its a good thing these ass clowns (everyday grunts aside) exist more to protect corporate interests than us.

2. GrumpyOldBloke

Can't test the planes, can't keep the boats powered, can't even talk about the submarines. Can't keep the red team employees and the economy is heading south. It's looking like the next war might have to be called off or at least significantly delayed. I hope there is enough work left in the Middle East pretending to fight terrorists or in the Ukraine pushing excrement up hill to keep everyone employed and that private fiat money flowing.

1. Anonymous Blowhard

"It's looking like the next war might have to be called off or at least significantly delayed."

I know what you mean; we were supposed to be living in a post-apocalyptic wasteland by now, which is why I opted for an "interest only" mortgage.

At this rate my best option's going to be some kind of alien invasion or maybe an uprising of mutant badgers...

1. asdf

>It's looking like the next war might have to be called off

Kind of funny how the US backed off that Asian pivot somewhat when they realized we need to borrow money from China to make it happen.

3. x 7

I thoughr Lockheed-Martin had a cybersecurity consultancy business?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Do nothing, hope nothing happens, and send Uncle Sam a big fat bill. That kind of consultancy?

2. ecofeco Silver badge

That costs extra.

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

@x 7: Funny you should say that - Lockheed-Martin are thinking that too!

4. PassiveSmoking

Something goes wrong with the F35 project

surprising no-one.

5. David Roberts
    WTF?

Exercise names not yet used.....

......the ones listed seem to imply far more macho quality and overall ability than is suggested by the article.

Perhaps Operation Super Big Throbbing Dick to try and out name the other units?

Advertising Standards should be applied to all exercise names.

[Sadly that seems to leave Operation Wide Open Beaver as the only choice.]

6. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Duh, just ask PLA's unit whatsitsnumer nicely for a copy...

7. JamesPond

Where is the beard?

Shouldn't the guy in the picture get a new identity badge as he no longer has a beard?

1. hplasm
      Happy

Re: Where is the beard?

Shouldn't the guy in the picture get a new beard as he no longer has a beard?

FTFY

2. IsJustabloke
      Happy

Re: Where is the beard?

That is Stephen Root /Milton waddams from "Office space" an underrated but fabulously funny film

8. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
  9. Gray
    Alien

Crawl back under the covers ...

all them dollars and all we get are dickwads.

10. Tom 7

I know american beer is generally piss

but the efforts they go to avoid that brewery pissup...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Get real

Almost a trilion a year for defense and they can't pass an audit using their own watered-down standards?

Fire everyone above the rank of captain (lieutenant for the Navy) and do a full reset on all programs.

Lockheed's only significant business is government contracts. So much for private sector superiority (where our generals and admirala learned the fine art of life- threatenung B.S. from).

Fire those modern day war profiteers too.

Because none of them are honorable enough to commit Seppaku for their willful defrauding of the public and betrayal of their country.

12. Tempest
    FAIL

And the US is the world's leading tech nation?

Dream on.

1. asdf

Re: And the US is the world's leading tech nation?

The DoD is nothing but the world's most expensive jobs program. Don't judge our whole economy on them. They are a taker not a maker for the most part these days. I guess its a good thing they fund it with a lot of borrowed money or the proles might realize how hideously expensive it truly is.

13. Banksy
    Trollface

It's ok

Proper maintenance of an aircraft and the ability to check that information is largely unimportant.

1. Mark 85
      Devil

Re: It's ok

Right.. and when they start dropping out of the sky, the auditors get the blame.

14. Cincinnataroo

They can't see let alone understand the truth

When the leaders of Muppet Force say something like this, you know that your civilisation can't survive very long.

"You can't handle the truth!

Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. ... I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. ... You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. ... You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. ... I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way... Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to."

15. BurnT'offering

Pentagon can't check F-35 maintenance thanks to insecure database

So, outsource maintenance to China. Solved, next.

16. Captain Kephart

Seems it might even be worse than it was in 1989 when Cliff Stoll wrote 'The Cuckoo's Egg' about the wide open / poorly managed and vulnerable US defence networks and systems, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cuckoo%27s_Egg

From the DoD's own 2015 report: '***As in previous years*** [my emphasis], assessment teams consistently found four categories of vulnerabilities in both system tests and exercise assessments:

• Exposed or poorly managed credentials

• Systems not configured to identified standards

• Systems not patched for known vulnerabilities

• System/network services and trust relationships that provide avenues for cyber compromise.

This is almost the same as the 1989 list ...

You can't be a superpower when your techies are turkeys ... and ISIS is coming with it's own version of Thanksgiving ...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like