back to article CE giants pitch yet another wireless HD standard

Just what the world needs: another consortium promoting a wireless technology for the transmission of HD content in the home. The latest is the Wireless Home Digital Interface (WHDI), launched today by Sony, Samsung, Hitachi, Motorola and Sharp. WHDI's technology comes from Israeli company Amimon. It uses the 5GHz band to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Craig

The more the merrier

Maybe the more consortiums we have increases the chance that we'll actually get a decent product launched soon. I'd buy a HD wireless sender now if there was one up to the job (and it did remotes as well!)

2. Steve

FEC?

"Any errors in the wireless channel are not noticed as they only affect the less important bits. "

Amazing, they actually know where the errors will be, so they can use those for the less important data. That is REAL forward error correction...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

But will it work

With my Betamax, HD DVD, DCC setup

Efros

4. Will

Why wont people give up on wireless - its shite

The amount of bandwidth the public can use is tiny and its stuffed full of stuff - how fast/slow is your wireless network at home?

Homeplug is brilliant and means that all devices plugged into the 240v mains are on the same network, with no interference from neighbours.

As all tv's/dvd's/media centres need to be plugged in its the ideal interface

Im imaging having your ps3 plugged into the wall, then you plug your tv, and both devices show up on your home network - thats how home networking should (and almost does) work

5. A
    Unhappy

Cables please.

What is the obsession with wireless everything? Most of the time all you get is an inferior connection with higher costs that's more difficult to troubleshoot. Wireless? Just say no! Cables please!

6. Andrew
    Thumb Down

I love the "uncompressed HD" spin

"takes the uncompressed HD video stream and breaks it into elements of importance. The various elements are then mapped onto the wireless channel in a way that give elements with more visual importance a greater share of the channel resources"

So that would be compression, then.

7. Christian Vest Hansen
    Thumb Up

60 GHz band?

"[WiHD] operates in the 60GHz band"

Which, if I'm not mistaken, is the microwave part of the spectrum. That way, you won't run out of popcorn when you watch your wireless HD movies. Just keep the kids and pets out of that 10 meter reach or enclose it in a faraday cage before turning it on.

8. Luiz Abdala
    Stop

I am with Will on this one...

I believe there should be only ONE FREAKING CABLE, the one plugging to mains, and that´s it.

I am SUPPOSED to having a mains, since it is an eletronic device, so why don´t people evolve that interface already?

Wireless is a freaking piece of crap, using the mains as a medium is much more effective!

No new infrastructure, no need to move my wall-to-wall fish tank (it is a wireless killer) no need to suffer eletromagnetic interference from whatever people come up (faulty microwave ovens, wireless aswering machines, you name it).

Plus you can come up with multimedia splitters, and retrofit all of your gear. As with the PS3 example, plug the regular ports on the new device, and shove it back on the mains. You could pump your spanking new Blu-ray disc player high-def video to all your TVs at home, either new or old, in a dime.

Plug'em on the wall, play'em, that´s how it should be.

Stop wireless betamax!

Go Homeplug!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

and another...

Fed up wireless user... agree with the others...

I spend more time turning wireless routers on and off and staring at "No networks available icons" than I do using the things I'm sure.

When they are working the speeds are appalling unless you live in a perfect house with paper thing walls and no neighbours, cordless phones, Microwaves... etc...

10. Tim
    Pirate

Wireless versus mains.

Erm.....i am not plugging my DS into the wall everytime i want to slaughter a spotty teenager halfway around the world.....

Wireless has its uses, just because you lot have all got rubbish implementations, doesnt mean i have to rewire my frikkin house!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just a thought...

why don't we use the low-bandwidth wireless link for the low-bandwidth data (eg DVD-type data off ROM or hard drive, or streamed data off the Internerd) so that particular bit can be done with existing technology (WiFi, HomePlug, etc) and the new-fangled high-bandwidth link can use real wires and/or be real short, then there's no need to worry about "visually less important bits" (I thought the whole point about HDTV was that every pixel was sacred, every pixel must show).

Someone kindly explain the flaw in this logic please.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

It Wont Work!

Cos i'll be parked outside with a 10W+ jammer killin your signal...ded :)

now, get back to plugging in that CAT5/6 cable and let the neighbours have a decent nights piece and quiet.

anyone noticed that even M$ has started drifting more over to HomePlug type connectivity around the home.

illuminatus

ECM 4tW!!!

when tin-foil just wont do, A 100W YAGI JAMMER ALWAYS WILL :D

13. Andre Carneiro
    Thumb Down

If WiFi is anything to go by...

It'll be slow, barely fit for purpose and a general pain in the arse. Add to it about 3 or 4 neighbours with their own setup and that's one wireless link down the drain.

Wireless is rubbish.

Conflict of Interest: Spent a whole weekend a few weeks ago installing Cat6 cable all over my house and an Ethernet port in each room (kitchen included).

14. Christian Berger

@Will

It's not like Powerline is of much use. Even if you get it working, you still risk interference with your neighbours or terrestrial (i.e. shortwave) radio. Powerline is a solution for some situations, but nothing even remotely reliable. Many people will still find themselves in the need to install new power cabling to make Powerline work.

The better solution would be to just simply use Cat. 5 or 6 cabling. I don't see any use for long cables in cosumer electronics anyhow. Most devices now have remote controlls, and unless you have some aincient braindead technology like BlueRay, placement of your equipment is fairly irrelevant. You can just use a cabinet next to your screen/projector.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like