back to article UK IT pros love OpenStack. Who says so? SUSE says so

A SUSE survey landing on our desk reveals some 80 per cent of senior IT pros in the UK plan to move or have already move their private cloud to OpenStack. The finding is based on interviews with 110 respondents in the UK and 813 across the US, Canada, the UK, Germany, France, Italy and the Nordics. A snapshot of SUSE's …

1. Chika
    Coat

Hmm... Rhubarb

I've been a SUSE user for many years and while I have raved over some of their kit, if I have learned anything about them it is that they do like to toot their own horn. Something that I believe they learned from RedHat, a distro that SUSE seems to have a "special relationship" with in recent years.

So I shan't dismiss this completely, but I shall view it with some suspicion. At least until I see the figures backed up independently.

2. sysconfig

Ambiguous

Has the "snapshot of SuSE's findings" been edited in any way? Because out of those five points, only one ("high difficulty") seems to be specific to OpenStack. The rest is just talking about private cloud in general terms.

So yeah, sounds like a bit of self-serving PR. OpenStack is quite a messy and constantly evolving affair, so from that point of view I can relate to the criticism of it being highly difficult to implement. Avoiding vendor lock-in is not necessarily a cheap option in the long run. Depends on the use case and scale of the "private cloud" (man I hate this term).

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

i have not

talked to anyone in the past 2 years that was not busy trying out / using / moving to production with openstack.

a small percentage of businesses that actually uses it in production as of today.

but there is some very big telco / automobile / bank / cable "household-names" that are using it in production.

they make for a massive number ......

5. Alan Brown Silver badge

The problem with Suse

Is that they're even bigger on running away when customers have trouble with what's been sold to them than they are with their sales hype.

1. boatsman

Re: The problem with Suse

the problem with your post is that you are accusing without substantiating.

which leads me to believe you are just a b***ter

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: The problem with Suse

Presumably you're the downvoter.

10 years ago:

£130k spent on storage kit, HP+Suse+Steeleye, packaged solution. Worked ok at first (up to 5TB). Started playing up under load.

Suse particularly useless, but all 3 parties blaming each other. Suse became less and less responsive as we added bug reports, eventually just ignoring email despite being paid £9k/year for support.

They wouldn't even respond to Novell head office queries (yes, we did escalate)

In the end we dumped Suse and installed Redhat + GFS. Whilst that's been less trouble, when there are problems, they actually help.

Suse is in our "never deal with again" list.

6. lardymcfartpants

Marketing Dept

I guess SuSe also got HP's marketing department along with their OpenStack assets.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like