back to article Did water rocket threaten Brum airport Airbus?

The British Airline Pilots Association (BALPA) last week called for action to control the use of drones, citing several examples from the the latest UK Airprox Board report (PDF) of UAVs menacing airliners. The report contains details of seven such incidents, four of which fell into the most serious category A, "where a …

1. Pete 2 Silver badge

Hitting the "k"

825m eh? Do I smell a Special Projects Bureau project in the offing.

1km would be something to aim for (rather than a passing airplane)

1. A K Stiles
      Pint

Re: Hitting the "k"

And, with any luck, the 'greasy-palmed' Iberian air officials won't have the same problem with a couple of bottles of Perrier as they do with some <cough>toy</cough> rocket motors...

(Icon looks pretty close to fizzy water to me!)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

PARIS 2?

Plastic

Altitude

Reaching

excIzed

Soda

1. Rich 11

'excized'? How about 'Impulse'?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Paris Hilton

I obviously had trouble coming up with something with an "I" in it, so if people want to use "impulse", knock yourselves out!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Paris Hilton

Sorry, I just have to interrupt you there and draw attention to the fact that

Kilometer

Altitude

Not

Yet

Exceeded.

1. VinceH

Soda Water Impulse Firing Test

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Blue Streak

Bottle

Lift

Up

Exercise

Stratospheric

Target

Reached by

Emission of

Activated

Kool-Aid

1. Danny 14

Water Actuated Notational Kinetic Emission Reactor (MK2 as MK1 misfired in the PARIS incident)

3. Graham Marsden

Pneumatic

Atmospheric

Rocket

Impulse

Solution

2. werdsmith Silver badge
    Facepalm

Probably a helium balloon of the theme-shaped mylar variety that has got loose.

3. A K Stiles
    Joke

Water Rocket?

Chances are, at that altitude on an approach path to BHX, it wasn't a deliberate rocket, just some of the local youths from Balsall Common losing control of their bottle of Strongbow!

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Strongbow?

I'd love to know where the Birmingham yoof can afford bottles of Strongbow. Growing up in BIrmingham all my friends and I could afford was a bottle of Frosty Jacks.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Strongbow?

I think some of them have other means of acquiring, other than handing over currency.

2. Brenda McViking
        Holmes

If you grew up in Birmingham you'd know that Basall Common is a proper posh neck of the woods. I mean its so far on the outskirts that people don't even speak with a brummie accent.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

"If you grew up in Birmingham you'd know that Basall Common is a proper posh neck of the woods. I mean its so far on the outskirts that people don't even speak with a brummie accent."

I could never afford a daysaver to find out :(

2. A K Stiles

Re: proper posh notw (was Strongbow?)

So far on the outskirts of Brum they have Coventry postcodes, and claim to be part of Solihull. Now there's the test for proper posh - is it "Sol-e-hull" or "Sew-lee-hull" ?

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge
            Coat

oooh, well look at this la de da mister fancy pants posh man, pronouncin the aitch in soli'ull!

1. A K Stiles

So sorry - that's me busted as an immigrant to the area (since migrated to more Southerly climes - like Bucks!).

Any chance I went to school with your sister? The accent seems strangely familiar!

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Used to go up to visit my Aunt in Solihull. Dad'd take me down the Robin Hood for a Brew XI. Thems were the days! I must've been 13. We didn't have beer down South. Just piss.

1. Red Bren
                  Pint

Brew XI? If you think that's proper beer you must have literally been drinking piss before. My local in Leeds had a beer festival and with Brew XI on hand pump. Having only ever seen it served by electric pump in Birmingham, I thought I'd give it one more chance. I shouldn't have bothered!

What I could never understand was having presumably tried and failed with 10 previous recipes, the brewers stopped at 11. Did they just give up?

2. nijam Silver badge

... they have Coventry postcodes, and claim to be part of Solihull

The posh parts of Coventry all claim to be somewhere else - the poshest say they're in Warwick

3. WraithCadmus

Frosty Jacks? You were lucky! All we could afford was "White $meteorological_phenomenon" so things like "White Strike" and "White Storm", as proper White Lightning was too pricey.

4. Blofeld's Cat
    Alien

"an unidentified object, described as rocket shaped and the size of 2 x 2l fizzy drink bottles"

It's an alien invasion - deploy the "small dog" defence shield.

5. nil0

Did water rocket threaten Brum airport Airbus?

No.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betteridge's_law_of_headlines

6. Arthur the cat Silver badge
    Boffin

Extreme water rocket

A barking mad friend of mine (Hi Dan) has a design for a water rocket that uses an oxygen bottle (as in oxyacetylene welding) pumped up to its maximum pressure. I'm not sure which is scarier, the speed and altitude it could reach or the thought of it coming down in a random location.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Extreme water rocket

We used to use Oxy bottles when working opposite the houses of westminster

friday lunch was a laugh, putting the bottle on the ground and launching it across the thames

by wacking the valve off with a sledgehammer

Oh and we never got to the other bank, my guess is the bottles were nearly empty

1. Dave 32
        Devil

I had a buddy, who owned a welding shop, and was carrying an Oxygen cylinder down a flight of concrete stairs into the shop. It slipped as he neared the bottom, and the bottom step sheared off the valve. That cylinder shot across the shop (narrowly missing one of the workers), and then smashed through a six inch thick poured concrete wall, before embedding itself some distance into the adjacent hillside!

Dave

P.S. Ohoh. Now, we've done it. There will be a rash of out of control Oxygen cylinders in the news now.

1. disgruntled yank

Actually, there's somebody in the US who maintains a web site dedicated to such incidents.

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Mythbusters and a compressed air cylinder.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Ruptured oxygen cylinders can do much more exciting things in enclosed spaces than just generating some delta-v and some overpressure, so long as there are some hydrocarbons around and a source of ignition, such as a cylinder impacting a hard surface and causing a spark. It always used to make me nervous watching people treat both oxygen and acetylene cylinders as if they weren't potential instant death. Familiarity breeding contempt, I suspect.

1. TheProf
            Devil

"potential instant death"

So many evil thoughts went through my mind I up-voted you for this phrase alone.

I scare myself sometimes.

2. Jan 0 Silver badge
            Boffin

Re: Ruptured oxygen cylinders

That's still small beer compared with a few litres of liquid oxygen. Want to see steel burn to white hot rust? Want to see diamonds on fire beneath the surface? Now, you're talking, but let's escalate to chlorine trifluoride! (Is there anything in a normal home or workplace that won't burn spectacularly in ClF3?)

Ok, I'll admit I haven't gone beyond "LOx".

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"(Is there anything in a normal home or workplace that won't burn spectacularly in ClF3?)"

Find out or die trying (probably the latter.) Was this the one that even the US decided not to try out as a rocket propellant (the people who thought it might be clever to add beryllium to improve specific impulse)?

1. bpfh

The same US who spilt 900 kg of ClF3 in the late 40's onto a concrete floor and the foot of concrete caught fire, then it burned through another 3 feet of gravel...

The Bofh in me can think of several uses for this. The fact that it cannot be put out by CO2, Halon or FM200 is just an added bonus...

2. Graham Dawson Silver badge

"That's still small beer compared with a few litres of liquid oxygen. Want to see steel burn to white hot rust? Want to see diamonds on fire beneath the surface?"

And when the insurance claims start piling in, all these memories will be lost, like tears in rain.

3. DropBear
            Mushroom

" It always used to make me nervous watching people treat both oxygen and acetylene cylinders as if they weren't potential instant death."

Whaddaya mean?!? It's perfectly safe as long as you make sure the O2 fittings are abundantly well oiled to avoid seizing...!

7. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Just remembered

Many years (~3 decades) ago in a supermarket I saw a woman trying to get a 2l bottle of coke from the top shelf. She managed to drop it in such a way as to punch a hole in the bottom, at which point the bottle flew down the aisle and demolished a stacked display at the end, leaving several wet, sticky and exceedingly disgruntled shoppers in its wake. Highly amusing for those who weren't sprayed.

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge
      IT Angle

Re: Just remembered

Are you, in fact, a sitcom character?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Are you, in fact, a sitcom character?"

I've seen Arthur the cat on TV. Not necessarily in the cast of a sitcom though.

2. Arthur the cat Silver badge

Are you, in fact, a sitcom character?

Not last time I looked, but with decades of acting as a sysadmin as well as doing my main job because no-one else in the department/company(*) knew what they were doing(**), if I were, it would be The IT Crowd.

(*) delete depending on which job.

(**) In one startup I got in late to find a clueless colleague trying to dig the "no user maintainable parts" potting compound out of an early Ethernet switch "because the bloody thing didn't work". They tend not to when one device you connected for testing is on 10.0.0.* and the other is on 192.168.1.*

2. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Coincidentally, I have an anecdote regarding several amateur photographers and the tiger enclosure at Colchester zoo that ends in a similar fashion.

1. Stumpy

What on earth was the tiger doing with the bottle of Coke?

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

> What on earth was the tiger doing with the bottle of Coke?

Washing down his recent meal of amateur photographer?

2. Anonymous Coward
          Paris Hilton

Obviously, quaffing large amounts in preparation for the photographers...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That video of the landing is a perfect example of 'ground rush' where so many amateur parachutists end up with broken ankles/legs.

I have done 9 jumps, 3 of them free fall from 3000ft, and one minute you are way up in the air, then all of sudden you are back to the 'real perspective' we know on ground level - the temptation to stick you leg out at this stage is immense, and people that don't train properly (or are taught incorrectly) come a cropper.

Keep you legs together (ankles and knees together), slightly bend the knees (so you have a 'spring'), and let the ground come to you.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

On my one and only jump I had no sensation of the ground approaching at the end. The visual perception was that the clumps of rough grass were rapidly expanding in diameter. Landed safely, rolled, and decided that any more would spoil the thrill.

1. Astarte

... rapidly expanding in diameter

Reminds me of the fate of the innocent sperm whale in HHGTTG.

9. Red Sceptic

Very impressive

There's a write-up of the project, and some photos here:

http://www.uct.ac.za/dailynews/?id=9389

1. bpfh
      WTF?

Re: Very impressive

That's no 2 litre coke bottle...

10. Mark 85

Mentos powered?

Yeah, I kind of doubt it but it is the rage amongst the yoof.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just because

Just because it was the size and shape of 2x2litre pop bottles, doesnt mean it was soda powered.

Pop bottles are a good substitute for the cardboard bodies you get with "Starter" rocket kits; and with a multi-motor set-up, can easily reach 1.5Km.

My son and I used to regularly get his toy rocket up to over 1Km using motors bought from the local hobby shop - until the casing cord broke and the cap and parachute floated off into the grounds of the local government military research establishment (since privatised).

I would be more worried it was a test run for some Jihadi's, prior to trying it with a Stinger.

12. aberglas

Just imagine if the bottle hit the plane

One might wonder what damage a PET bottle could do to a 100 ton airliner, but there are little known electromagical undynemical effects that can cause a few ounces of plastic to instantly turn solid airplanes into piles of scrap metal. Even if the rocket did not actually hit the airpane, the shock of seeing it is likely to give the pilot an irresistible urge to push the nose into the ground.

And of course, that is nothing compared to what a small drone could do...

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Re: Just imagine if the bottle hit the plane

Of course being sucked into one of the engines would cause NO issues at all, would it?? I mean plane engines chew up and spit out small birds every day, dont they??

(Where my sarcastic icon??)

13. Stevie

Bah!

Video: impressive but *not* a soda/pop bottle by any means.

1. Pedigree-Pete

Bloody big pop bottle.

6.75lt volume with 1.5lt water. I've not found anything that big for pop, or cider.

14. an-ominous-mass

Was not me

A long time ago three of us ran carbon arc search lights on the roof of a night club.

Around the time of the first batman movie so of course we tried that.

From our rooftop we saw the police strangle and kill a guy.

An adjacent new building structure fail rather badly with the obligatory miraculous escapes.

Who the most popular drug dealer was.

Who the night club owner got his drugs from.

Who the nightclub owner told police was selling drugs.

Numerous accounts of drunken Adam & Eve biblical encounters.

One night one of my colleagues pointed the lights at a 737 on final approach.

Civil aviation were somewhat "upset"

Got rather boring after that.

There after we pointed in one direction only and our excuse was now "well you flew into them"

15. Juan Inamillion

Cracking one off

Many decades ago I was working for a drug research company. In the lab was a large extractor room, the fans were seriously strong. Even so, when the valve on a bottle of compressed ammonia refused to budge there weren't many takers for attempting to delicately 'tap it' open with a hammer...

Incidentally, a comment earlier about greasing the valve - IIRC depending on the contents of the cylinder grease is the LAST thing you want on the valve...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon