back to article NASA preps silicon-photonic modem for space laser internet test

NASA's preparing the next step of its lasers-in-space optical communications strategy, announcing the development of a silicon photonic modem for space applications. The agency's engineering team is getting ready to build the modem, which integrates electrical and optical signalling and processing on a single chip. The news …

1. Ashton Black

Curious

"The ESA's recent test demonstrated space-to-space optical communications, but ILLUMA will be a space-to-Earth communications system like NASA's previous optical demonstration, a 622 Mbps-down, 20 Mbps-up payload on its LADEE lunar probe."

Just wondering why, on a science probe the D/U ratio would be so skewed?. Would it not make more sense to have a greater upload, since the bulk of the data is coming from the probe?

1. choleric

Re: Curious

IIRC the skew came not from a practical need for the LADEE's main science payload but because the optical data payload was a secondary experiment that it was convenient to attach to the same platform.

2. MT Field

Re: Curious

I am guessing the downlink receiver is substantially more complex/heavier/more power-hungry to achieve the speed. Also the intended application for these things seems to be for getting data back to earth.

2. TimR

I guess it depends on which direction is "up" and which is "down"? However, I was always told there is no "up" and "down" in space....

3. PaulAb

Wow!

I shall certainly keep up with this development - if my semi-rural 1.2mbs broadband connection can cope, anyone from BT listening eh, eh, .....eh!

1. Ashton Black

Re: Wow!

I feel your pain, brother. (1.7Mb here in deepest, darkest, Somerset)

4. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Nested acronyms

ILLUMA - Integrated Light Amplification by Stimulation of Emitted Radiation Communications Relay Demonstration Low-Earth Orbit User Modulator Demodulator Amplifier.

ILLUMA == ILASERCRDLEOUModemA

Not quite so catchy now then, eh? eh? :-)

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Nested acronyms

YAANOCMHOTO.

But my all-time favourite is still TWAIN.

5. Faux Science Slayer

Instant Laser Communication

The "Hall Effect" shows polarized light changes instantly at receiver when polarity is reversed at the source.. Since two position can provide digital "1 & 0" signal, it is theoretically possible for a "laser wire" to be strung between satellites and to have instant messaging over solar system distances. There may be alternate reasons for developing this technology. Big Bang is a certain ruse, see the Cosmology tab at the FauxScienceSlayer site.

Find and share Truth....it is your duty as an Earthling.

1. Vic

Re: Instant Laser Communication

The "Hall Effect" shows polarized light changes instantly

You do realise you make less sense than amanfrommars, don't you?

Vic.

1. Roo
        Windows

"You do realise you make less sense than amanfrommars, don't you?"

In fairness to amanfrommars their posts are considerably more readable than they used to be. I recall trying to work out if some random text generator was spamming USENET when they first started posting (assuming that's the same amanfrommars).

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

" I recall trying to work out if some random text generator was spamming USENET when they first started posting "

It still made more sense than McNamara or Serdar Argic.

6. John Smith 19 Gold badge

This really starts to pay off with a string of them from Earth to Jupiter.

Who knows the next Pluto mission could make an average of 1Mbps, rather than about 1Kbps.

Provided the relays are in place first of course.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like