back to article Dutch cops train anti-drone eagle squadron

Dutch cops are mulling the idea of a drone-busting eagle squadron - one of a range of possible methods under consideration to wrest back control of the skies from UAV hordes. Trained eagles are apparently a deadly serious proposal, and police video released over the weekend shows talons can be effective weapons against a …

1. Chris Miller

Cool video

but the commentary might as well be in Double Dutch.

1. BillG
      Happy

Re: Cool video

Forget the drones - I want an eagle!

1. Known Hero
        Joke

@BillG

You get an eagle, they going to start making drones to take down eagles !!! Then where will we be !! covered in chips and blood !!!

1. BillG
          Joke

@Known Hero

You get an eagle, they going to start making drones to take down eagles !!! Then where will we be !! covered in chips and blood !!!

Then it begins!

2. NoneSuch Silver badge
      Thumb Up

40 MM Bofors

Reach out and touch someone, with high explosive proximity shells.

1. Mark 85

Re: 40 MM Bofors

Not a bad idea, but maybe an eagle with the frikkin' laser? This is a tech site after all.

2. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Reach out and get near someone, with high explosive proximity shells.

FTFY

1. Robert Helpmann??
          Joke

Meh. Better to use Dragon's Breath rounds. If the drone was within range, it had it coming.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Mushroom

It's been solved.....

....https://youtu.be/xqHrTtvFFIs

Fake or not...you decide

3. A Known Coward

Instant amputation of Eagle's feet?

Seems like a completely stupid idea if you ask me, those propellers could do serious injury to the birds. While eagles offer some serious advantages in terms of speed, manoeuvrability and targeting ability (eyesight) the risk posed by the drone would have to be significant to even consider deploying the eagles.

1. Rich 11

Re: Instant amputation of Eagle's feet?

In Kazakhstan they use golden eagles to hunt wolves.

If eagles can learn to avoid the fast-moving sharp bits of wolves, I have every confidence that they can learn to avoid the fast-moving sharp bits of drones.

1. muddysteve

Steel toe-caps. Job done.

1. Triggerfish

I think you may be underestimating the Eagles.

The feet are basically skin bone sinew and talon evolved into weapons, they are probably pretty tough if you think of the average Eagles use of them they need to withstand some punishment, and strong as well after all a Golden Eagle can pull a goat of a cliff.

Not sure how tough the blades are on a bigger drone, but I'd bet the Eagle would learn to adapt its strikes as well.

Or you could always fly a Harpy Eagle pretty sure that would sort out any commercial drone.

2. Steven Roper

"In Kazakhstan they use golden eagles to hunt wolves."

Those same people are a small tribe of Kazakhs who have lived close to the land for generations. They treat the eagles as equals, allowing them to live in their homes and share their meals. They capture and train the eagles as chicks, and as part of the training they teach the eagles to hunt and survive in the wild. Then after 4-6 years they set the eagles free. These people live in a free symbiosis with the birds.

The last thing these people need is an army of suits flocking to their little world to mob them for eagle-training techniques that will be abused and misused because the suits will take only the method they want as a means to their own ends, not the philosophy and mutual respect the Kazakhs have developed that goes with it.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

No - they are more used to dealing with civil servants in uniforms. Every part of the civil service in that part of the world has a uniform. Every time I have dealt with a bureaucrat in the place, there have been lots of people in uniforms hanging around.

Also eagle hunting in Kazakhstan is not confined to a small group - it is a widespread and popular sport in which many people across the country (and it is big country) participate. They have annual competitions in which they hunt foxes using eagles. It is truly spectacular, and the locals are justifiably proud of their birds.

As for releasing them - no. They are too valuable - each bird is worth many thousands of dollars, and they are kept for many years because they are too expensive to replace.

2. Triggerfish

People know how to train Eagles outside of Khazakhstan Falconry has been praticed worldwide for years.

Anyway you want them learning the same techniques as to take birds in flight not wolves on the ground, unless you are going for the drone owners.

2. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Small consumer UAVs are generally designed not to do much damage if things go wrong, so they have flexible plastic blades.

Larger ones for professional purposes such as TV production can have metal or composite blades so I think the eagles are going to want to be a bit more careful with those.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

suicide mission? Intelligent humans can be talked into it, why not eagles?

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

those propellers could do serious injury to the birds

It's a shame the commentary was only in Dutch because they addressed that. For a start, the propellors themselves are no match for the talons these birds have (in the video you can hear the satisfying "njack" of a propellor dying against those talons), and they are working on further protection of the "legs" (sorry, no idea what the bird term is).

You also have to keep in mind that prey can also put up a fight, so some natural armour is already present. As for deliberately "targeting" parts of the bird like eyes, do you really expect a remote controlled device with feedback latency (transmission + operator delay) to stand a chance against a natural predator who has the brains, sensors and a manoeuvrability developed by millennia of evolution? I admire your optimism, but my money would be on the bird.

1. Bill Fresher

" and they are working on further protection of the "legs" (sorry, no idea what the bird term is)."

Drumstick?

5. druck Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Bloody tough things eagles, forget about being injured by drones, they don't flinch at taking on light aircraft!

Alan the co-owner of my old flying school (now sadly departed) was flying his Cessna 177 over the Northern Spanish mountains, when a massive wild eagle swooped down and attacked the wing of the aircraft, then flew on unharmed.

We'd might have been tempted to put it down to tall tails around the club's bar, but we saw the aircraft before it was repaired, and there was a dent and a series of 6 inch long scratches which looked very much like talon marks.

So an excellent idea for getting rid of drones, but lets just hope they aren't a bigger threat to the aircraft!

4. lawndart

El Reg could go one better...

Start the Vulture Squadron.

Muttley! Do something!

CHOMP.

Hehehehe

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: El Reg could go one better...

It would never work. All the bad guys would have to do is disguise their drone as a pigeon, and the Vulture Squadron would go from "terrors of the sky" to comically inept.

5. Pen-y-gors

Won't someone think of the eaglets?

What's wrong with a good old 12-bore?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Won't someone think of the eaglets?

45 years ago a neighbor of mine had an 8 gauge Goose gun. Never saw it fired but it was huge. I'll bet that would lay waste to a drone at some distance.

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: Won't someone think of the eaglets?

Ah yeah, the old punt rifles. Because who couldn't use a rifle with a 3-meter barrel that fired a 2.5 caliber shell?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

I keep telling you guys that the answer to drone incursions is...

FALCONRY!!!

(Tux--if you glance at him right, he kind of looks like a raptor.)

7. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Coat

Time for 'Raptor' missiles...

mines the one with a one of these in the pocket

http://benlongfalconry.co.uk/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=20&Itemid=26

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Peter & Sidecar Falcon!

Haven't the Dutch nicked this idea from Family Guy?

9. David Pollard

Guided Water Rocket

In another Reg article today is a report of a near miss between an Airbus 321 at 1500 feet and what was presumed to be a water rocket. It is astounding that the world record altitude for this type of device is 825 m.

Something on similar lines has the potential to be an ideal countermeasure against drones, when fitted with a lightweight control system (R Pi?) and ground-based guidance. On its return to Earth a two litre plastic bottle would do little damage to people or property.

1. Peter Simpson 1
      Thumb Up

Re: Guided Water Rocket

I'm somewhat surprised that Googling does not reveal an Az-El water bottle rocket launch system.

They do exist for NERF darts, USB controlled. Would seem like a fun project to scale it up and attach to a (stereo?) vision system for low level drone defense.

2. Chez

Re: Guided Water Rocket

How about altering one of those little Estes model rockets that I used to have so much fun with as a kid? You could have quite a lot of fun with one of those. I've even wondered about mounting some of the really tiny models (or just the engines themselves with fins and a nosecap glued on) to a large quadrotor for, er, just because I can.

Guidance systems would be tricky and will make it exponentially more expensive, so I think the best solution in this case is simply the application of more dakka. Maybe a dozen or so of these mini-rockets, dumbfired sequentially Katyusha-style.

10. Manolo
    Flame

Useless

What an effing waste of money. How is this supposed to work out? "Oh look, there is a suspicious looking drone heading towards the Binnenhof (Houses of Parliament), better call in the eagles!".

At the same time, while there are about 10.000 inmates in Dutch jails, about 15.000 convicts are not incarcerated, because they were allowed to wait for the outcome of their court case in freedom. After sentencing, they just don't show up. Finding them is not really a priority of Dutch police. Training eagles apparently is. Guess what would make me feel safer?

1. Triggerfish

Re: Useless

I think there's more than two police and some of the others probably aren't training Eagles.

1. Manolo

No, the rest are operating speed cameras or visiting Twitter users at home to intimidate them if their tweets are deemed to inflammatory.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Go

If you're really worried about the cost, maybe you can get the National Rifle Association to help. Turn them loose with the concept and you will probably end up with free chain-gun armed good American Bald Eagles that also come with little speakers that play a rock-and-roll soundtrack once the drones are engaged.

You might have to allow them to be known as the Netherlands Rifle Association in return, but hey, small price to pay...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Go

"better call in the eagles!".

The good news is that the Dutch government can use the end of the Lord of the Rings as kind of a proof of concept video.

Or pushing this to the illogical extreme (Hey, if you wanted thoughtful commentary, why are you reading the El Reg forums in the first place?) you could hire The Eagles to do a promotional concert for this service. Maybe something from their catalog can be the theme song? "One of These Nights" comes to mind. Any song with lyrics like "Coming right behind you, swear I'm gonna find you" and "Gonna get you baby, one of these nights" seems like a really good fit.

Glenn Frey would probably have approved.

12. Christoph

The people who already fly hawks near airports to keep birds away could add this to their repertoire. Including Dave Hodges, a.k.a. Hodgesaargh

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How about Crows?

Eagles are a bit expensive and rare, so how about training crows for the job? I've noticed that crows will take on anything larger than themselves if it invades their turf.

Dangerous work, but crows are plentiful. And if they run out, Gulls are almost as good.

1. Tikimon

Re: How about Crows?

I like and admire Corvids, but I suspect they're not suited due to attack style. Raptors attack with their mighty talons, so they can snatch a drone right out of the air. Crows (and gulls) use their beaks to attack. They would have to stab and batter the thing until it's damaged enough to fall. Sticking your head into a group of spinning blades is more dodgy than going in with toughened feet.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If you're going for alternatives I'd nominate pigeons. There are so many of them that you could just train them to dive straight in the propellors, or you could train them to fly in groups and do what they do best: shit. Even if it doesn't down the drone completely it'll be a VERY stubborn man who tries again after having to clean that off..

3. Anonymous Cow Herder

How about pigs ?

14. martinusher Silver badge

But its just sitting there

I fly model sailplanes and because they use the same lift phenomena as raptors use to stay aloft I'm used to flying with hawks. They don't usually bother you unless you get too close to a nest during breeding season (or maybe they're just having a bad day). When they do they can leave large dings in your plane -- these planes are too big to carry off -- but typically you can avoid them even with a not very maneuverable ship. If you are flying something that's faster and more maneuverable then its possible to get round on their six -- they really HATE that!

This video shows that its possible for a raptor to pick up a small, stationary, quadcopter. If someone is interested in nefarious activity -- or just plain fed up with being bothered by this sort of thing -- then it would be relatively straightforward to employ some countermeasures (strips of metal charged to a high voltage on the arms might be a good place to start). The birds are good at what they do but they really aren't that bright -- their hunting prowess comes from rabbits never living to pass on avoidance strategies.

15. This post has been deleted by its author

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

talons can be effective weapons

versus rotating blades? Perhaps they should teach them to carry a cattle prod? Or a swatter.

17. Scott 53

I see where they got the idea

I think Sharknado might have been badly dubbed into Dutch and come across as a documentary.

18. Haku

Yeah nice promotional video, but...

That was against a Spyrit Max FPV T2M which reportedly weighs 580g with the camera and prop guards, which they didn't have on for the tests, and it's smaller (230mm diagonal motor-motor distance) than the DJI Phantom sized quadcopters such as my Cheerson CX-20 (360mm motor-motor) that weighs 1.2kg with camera+3 axis gimbal, along with powerful brushless motors and the option of 9 inch carbon fibre propellers that can do some serious damage if they strike you (or an eagle).

1. Haku

Re: Yeah nice promotional video, but...

A fresh post from someone on the CX-20 thread at rcgroups.com:

"The very first quad I owned was a wrecked CX20 that a friend had given me after it was attacked by a bald eagle at 200 feet. The shelk was a mess but with the exception of the ESCs everything else was intact. He told me the eagle was killed and shredded quite badly. That was with the standard CX20 8045 props."

So if that happens with the standard plastic props, carbon fibre ones on a 450 size quad would most likely take the bird's legs clean off if it tried to grab it mid-flight.

What were those cops even thinking, pitting flesh & bone against plastic & metal like that?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like