back to article CableLabs certifies first gigabit-class cable modems

Broadcom's grinning like the Cheshire Cat, with its OEMs apparently dominating the first round of DOCSIS 3.1 device certification. DOCSIS 3.1 is a standard allowing for gigabit-and-above data transmission rates over existing hybrid fibre-coax cables widely deployed around the world for cable television delivery. The BCM3390 …

1. Aedile

Confused

Why are they working on these faster modems? According to the US ISPs and our illustrious senators (http://arstechnica.com/business/2016/01/gop-senators-want-lower-internet-speeds-to-qualify-as-broadband/) we don't even need 25 Mbps. /s

2. Wolfclaw

Virgin Media will still be stuttering video streams even if we gave each house unlimited connectivity !

1. VinceH

Hmm.

My 152Mb/s broadband, from which I got at best 40-45Mb/s, has been upgraded to 200Mb/s, and my first speed test suggests I'm getting 40-45Mb/s from it.

So previously, I was getting 26--30% of my ISP-claimed speed, and now I'm getting 20-23% of my ISP-claimed speed.

I suspect the limiting factor for me is the distance from the Virgin Media cabinet, and the fact that from there to here it's copper.

Most of the time, 40Mb/s is more than enough - but there are times when I'd benefit from the speed I'm actually paying for.

1. annodomini2

Wireless or Gigabit direct into the router?

1. Martin Summers Silver badge

"Wireless or Gigabit direct into the router?"

A good point often missed when doing these speed tests.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

While that's true from typical reported speed tests - some guy says "I have a 450 Mbps router so obviously that can't be the limiting factor" but ignores it is on the other side of the house and no one gets anywhere near 450 Mbps even right next to it anyway.

But give Reg readers the benefit of the doubt, since on the whole we're a pretty sharp bunch technically, so I doubt that was the case here.

2. VinceH
          Facepalm

"Wireless or Gigabit direct into the router?"

"But give Reg readers the benefit of the doubt, since on the whole we're a pretty sharp bunch technically, so I doubt that was the case here."

Well, in this case it is a bit of a facepalm moment. And a double one, at that.

When doing speed tests in the past, I have done it both ways - and got broadly similar results, at around the speeds mentioned above.

Post upgrade to 200Mb/s, though, I completely forgot to try with a wired connection. Trying it now, I'm getting close to 90Mb/s. Still not the speed I'm supposed to be getting, but an awful lot better - and would be enough to stop me wanting to thump the Virgin Media router when I need to eke a little more out of it. (Not that that would actually help.)

Why is it a double facepalm? This is a new Cat6 ethernet cable. The previous one was unmarked and cheap (bought in a hurry to replace a broken one) and may have been a piece of crap not been up to the task - so it may be that with a [decent] wired connection, I could have gotten a better result previously.

This cable belongs to something else, though, and it's not practical for use with this computer - to make it reach, it's hanging between my face and the screen. I'll get a new [longer] one and go wired when at my desk.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Angel

Well I have to hand it to you for admitting it, and I guess I shouldn't give Reg readers quite so much of a benefit of the doubt after all! :)

1. VinceH
              Happy

Even we readers of El Reg are capable of having blonde moments.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like