back to article Ex-VMware CEO Di Greene drops mystery storage system box, dares you to open it

Diane Greene's storage startup Datrium is making its initial DVX product available, saying it is the first server-powered storage system which is not a hyper-converged appliance or virtual SAN. What does that mean? The big problem with dual-controller storage arrays is that their performance goes down as the number of hosts …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just what the market needs, another VMW only based storage platform

Good luck with that.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Welcome & Goodbye!

This one will be a fast fail! I just don't know how else to put it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Welcome & Goodbye!

If it's going to be a fail, it's not going to be fast. Too much money raised.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Well, I like it.

I've been building here to use this model for a year now. Next month the 10Gbps networking installed (more probably, two to three actually). Two servers, one array doing its thang, lots of PCIe and SSD flash in the servers. Seemed kind of obvious especially given that I use one SSD slot for "personalities."

No way I can afford the real deal but... Di gave some interesting pointers in the article. Thanks El Reg.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

pretty funny

The way you guys keep referring to Datrium as Diane Greene's company. She's an investor, that's all.

Read the *second* paragraph in the first blog post ever. Man I bet Brian et al are tired of hearing about it being her company.

http://www.datrium.com/the-datrium-story/

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

rear view looks like "Xyratex" hardware

Seen that design before on 1st generation V7000 and 1st midrange gen of HP 3PAR.

Wasn't a big fan, as wasn't upgradeable, serviceability wasn't great and customers sometimes pulled both handles when extracting a controller (turning a dual controller SAN into a no controller SAN).

Only advantage I ever heard was that it was quick to get a product out......

6. Hans 1

Slightly off-topic, but watch out for FreeBSD 11, they're adding capability to read/write simultaneously to flash drives with no performance hit.

Netflix is really pushing FreeBSD to its limits.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Huh?

Maybe I'm missing something, but how is this any different from vFRC-enabled hosts connected (using multiple 10G links) to a SAN that does compress/dedup?

1. LogStructured

Re: Huh?

vFRC-enabled hosts only include read offload capability and lack most if not all of these features:

"Scale efficiently. DiESL was designed from the ground up with end-to-end compression, deduplication and instant zero-copy clones at the per-VM level. It was designed by ex-VMware Principal Engineers to fit cleanly in the VMware vSphere ecosystem."

In addition vFRC has no efficiency capabilities which DVX focuses on.

"DVX Hyperdriver host software offloads reads and accelerates writes. It performs inline dedupe and compression to local flash, offloaded instant vDisk clones, RAID for the NetShelf and all other data services you’d expect from a modern Enterprise storage system."

I'm curious to learn more about their resiliency model and file system in-line defrag capabilities. Without these they are dead in the water.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So let me get this straight: they built a storage platform that has dedicated processing/caching capability and dedicated landing space, with a scale-out architecture that you can add/scale resources as needed. It is built on x86 commodity HW, utilizes SSD, dedupe and is optimized for virtual workloads.

* * W E L C O M E T O 2 0 1 2 * *

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like