back to article Citrix kills Sydney research lab, vows to focus on 'core products'

Citrix has closed its research lab in Sydney, Australia. News of the closure appeared on Twitter, where missives like those below from lab staffers Jeff Muir and Donovan Hackett were spotted by virtualization whisperer Brian Madden. El Reg asked Citrix why it closed the facility. A Citrix spokesperson said: "We made the …

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"El Reg asked Citrix why it closed the facility. A Citrix spokesperson said: "We made the decision to bring the CTO office into the business units. With CTOs sitting in the business units, they are tightly linked to the product strategy and customer needs. We scaled back the advanced products group in general as we refocussed on our core businesses."

El Reg asked Citrix why it closed the facility. A Citrix spokesperson was unable to provide a comprehensible answer.

There - FTFY!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

IME it means that they're not going to have a centre of excellence any more, which could invent anything novel. Instead they're going to spread their best engineering resources over multiple product lines where they'll spend their time doing day-to-do day firefighting. In other words, short termism.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The language is (sadly) comprehensible

When you read something like that and your brain hurts the first impulse is to think "but that just seems like a big old crock-o-shite: clearly they misspoke", whereas actually they've clearly communicated that their business thinking is that crock.

Once-upon-a-time I worked in a UK group that had been developing various chunks of networking stack for over 10 years and was 80% through a major redesign. One fine day we got EXCITING NEWS! The entire subsystem was being transferred in a couple of months to an already overloaded Scandinavian team and the UK group was taking over development of a media player from the USA. The lack of technology affinity was so glaring that the pink ribbon wrapped around the steaming turd was that this was an exciting opportunity to try a new field. And the business reason for this high-risk re-org? The last re-org had gifted the UK group to a Finnish director and he was finding the travel too wearying, so clearly the thing to do was to move the mountain to Mohammed.

Of course the transplant largely failed and then a subsequent re-org moved that director elsewhere (but not before many of the old hands had jumped ship). And then after he'd worked his special magic upon another division later another re-org moved him back again... The company concerned has progressively collapsed upon itself and now resembles a pulsar but for all I know he's still in its core, spinning rapidly as he helps to throw off its remaining energy

2. a_yank_lurker

"Focus on our core businesses"

Is that PHB speak for we will be filing for bankruptcy in the next 3 to 5 years and out of business in within the next 10?

Mental note, do not waste my time applying for position at Citrix since it looks like they will out of business in a few years.

1. Captain DaFt

Re: "Focus on our core businesses"

"Is that PHB speak for we will be filing for bankruptcy in the next 3 to 5 years and out of business in within the next 10?"

More or less. It more accurately translates as, "Getting rid of R&D is a sure way to short term profit, then we'll keep selling what we produce now for a profit, with the occasional round of lay-offs to keep the stock price up.

When it crashes, my cronies and I will be long gone, with fat bonuses and golden parachutes all around.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: "Focus on our core businesses"

I figured it meant "we expect to be acquired by CA in the next year or two".

3. TonyJ

VC's walk in...

Cut staff, sell off core technology, cut more staff, sell off the IP, cut more staff...oh ffs! Nothing left to sell. Cut more staff and close down facilities. Cash out, sell the still warm corpse to yet another VC to pick whatever meat off the bones they can.

I love(d) Citrix. In fact, I've worked with it since the mid-90's but seeing what they are doing now is painful and I hope I'm wrong but I see them going down the pan, too.

For me the thing that would really signify that end is coming will be when they sell of the NetScaler range. It's just been such a core of their business for so long now and they are actually brilliant devices.

As I say, I really hope I'm wrong, but...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like