back to article MIT boffin: Big data won't compute? Try these handy quantum algorithms

Big Data? Check! Machine Learning? Check! Quantum computers? Check! Seth Lloyd, the self-dubbed "Quantum Mechanic", has ticked every box with a new (entirely theoretical) paper announcing a potential solution to problems unfeasible even before "the most powerful modern supercomputers". The paper, titled "Quantum algorithms for …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds like someone trying to justify their career.

Like a VW salesman trying to sell you a VW, sort of thing.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Holmes

I think you will find that Seth Loyd doesn't NEED to justify his career. Especially to random AC retarded riff raff who couldn't pull a square root of -1 out of their arse if their life depended on it.

Still, this article is very confusing. It's a wall of words with no inherent meaning. And I am not fully unskilled in Quantum Computer Algorithms (for which I recommend this book, just saying)

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

I think you will find that Seth Loyd doesn't NEED to justify his career

And if he did, publishing work in his field in a refereed journal is how he's supposed to do it.

Still, this article is very confusing. It's a wall of words with no inherent meaning.

Well, yeah, it's the usual quick pop treatment of something that's not amenable to quick pop treatment.

The link for the paper given in the article has the abstract (and the whole paper, for that matter - no paywall), which helps. Key contribution appears to be a collection of quantum algorithms for finding parameters of topological features in a data set.

My guess, without having actually read the paper, is that the O(2N) complexity for conventional analysis comes from having to consider every subset of the points. In practice, I'd think you could often use graph sparsification and other techniques to derive a tractable problem that has a decent probability of producing useful results. But having another (actually useful) application for the long-promised many-qubit QC machines is good, I suppose. And a 300-qubit machine for doing topological analysis on a 300-point data set seems a bit more plausible than a 4096-qubit machine for cracking 4096-bit RSA keys.

2. Barbarian At the Gates
    Joke

We built one

But we keep misplacing it when it's working, and when we find the machine, it's broken.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Such a device could be achieved in the next few years...

... and will be delivered by a flying car, at your Mars home.

(I thought about adding "by Oscar-winning Leonardo di Caprio" but this may actually be possible soon)

4. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Yes, quantum computers will probably used like that once they actally work. Which may be some time yet.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well, D-Wave machines are performing remarkably well in some classes of problems, even if some people are still deliberating whether the machines are quantum enough...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I like the title "Quantum algorithms for topological and geometric analysis of data" it sounds to me a lot like the Tom Lehrer Song "Lobachevsky" is coming to life. :-)

I am never forget the day I am given first original paper

to write. It was on analytic and algebraic topology of

locally Euclidean parameterization of infinitely differentiable

Riemannian manifold.

Bozhe moi!

This I know from nothing.

What-i'm going-to do.

But I think of great Lobachevsky and get idea - ahah!

I have a friend in Minsk,

Who has a friend in Pinsk,

Whose friend in Omsk

Has friend in Tomsk

With friend in Akmolinsk.

His friend in Alexandrovsk

Has friend in Petropavlovsk,

Whose friend somehow

Is solving now

The problem in Dnepropetrovsk.

And when his work is done -

Ha ha! - begins the fun.

From Dnepropetrovsk

To Petropavlovsk,

By way of Iliysk,

And Novorossiysk,

To Alexandrovsk to Akmolinsk

To Tomsk to Omsk

To Pinsk to Minsk

To me the news will run,

Yes, to me the news will run!

And then I write

By morning, night,

And afternoon,

And pretty soon

My name in Dnepropetrovsk is cursed,

When he finds out I publish first!

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Ah, Tom Lehrer... his songs taught me a thing or several. While being enormous fun. There should be more like him. Another of his songs that somehow fit the topic here is "New Math".

6. werdsmith Silver badge

"All you need is that 300 qubit computer in your back drawer"

What's a "back drawer" ? A tattoo artist?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like