back to article Linux Foundation quietly scraps individual memberships

The Linux Foundation has quietly amended its bylaws so that individual members, now called "supporters", no longer have the right to elect board members. The Linux Foundation is a non-profit association which sponsors those developing the Linux kernel, including Linus Torvalds, and runs various collaborative projects to set …

1. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Linux

Year of Linux (cont from pg 94)

Hmmm.... Looks like there might be some serious money to be made. Probably on the back of the Windows 10 fiasco. Time to jettison the little guys.

2. Andy Non Silver badge
    Unhappy

Disappointing

Looks like a step in the wrong direction for the many individuals who dedicate their time and effort in continuing to develop Linux; the very people who aught to have a say in the direction of the OS. Somewhat worrying if the corporations are going to dictate direction as it will likely be to the benefit of their own pockets rather than the end users.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Disappointing

"Somewhat worrying if the corporations are going to dictate direction as it will likely be to the benefit of their own pockets rather than the end users."

If? That's been happening for some time, systemd being one of the symptoms.

1. Gerhard Mack

I'm really tired of listing to people whine about systemd.

Systemd (at least in Debian's case) was voted on by the maintainers with all of the pros and cons spelled out on publicly available web pages. The resulting flame fest happened close to a year after the decision was already made and involved trolls misrepresenting it's design and posts of fake bugs.

In fact, this is the second time I've gone to research something for myself only to find out that most of the things said about it in the forums were actually false (Wayland being the other)

The reality is that it is vastly better than what was there before and it has allowed me to get things working much faster in cases where the boot sequence is complicated (iSCSI Gluster etc) The result is a more maintainable system that as a side benefit happens to boot faster.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Systemd is a virus that has infected your brain.

2. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

We get it. You like systemd. Buy why should it be mandatory - and in effect, it is - instead of optional? The whole point of the Unix philosophy was "do one thing and do it well", so that individual components you don't like can be swapped out. Systemd - and the massively REL-influenced projects like Gnome that that have decided to depend on it - remove choice.

Do you also think Microsoft was correct in telling it's users to go fuck themselves by removing the Start Menu, adding in Start Button, and then creating Windows 10 which creates a horror in place of a working start menu, doesn't let you fully turn off spying and removes your ability to control your updates? If so, why would anyone use Linux instead of Microsoft if both are to be removers of choice? If you don't agree with Microsoft's approach, why do you disagree with them and not with moves like systemd?

The removal of choice from administrators or end users is never a good thing. Nor is committing to a path that will get you to that "choiceless" future a piece at a time.

1. Gerhard Mack

"We get it. You like systemd. Buy why should it be mandatory - and in effect, it is - instead of optional? The whole point of the Unix philosophy was "do one thing and do it well", so that individual components you don't like can be swapped out. Systemd - and the massively REL-influenced projects like Gnome that that have decided to depend on it - remove choice."

Gnome has no such dependency. In fact, they had to change their plans because the logind replacement just wasn't ready and they didn't want to lose support for non systemd systems such as FreeBSD. Do a quick search on Google for "Gnome systemd dependency" and you can see their thoughts for yourself.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Gnome was always one of the worst offenders for dependency bloat. If they dropped systemd it must be because it *really* sucks, not because they found their missing engineering sense under the sofa cushion. Those guys are software sophists through and through. They should just throw in the towel and go work for Apple.

1. Gerhard Mack

They didn't drop sytemd as much as keep the legacy interfaces around. From what I can tell (I'm not a Gnome user) they were hoping Canonical would finish their logind replacement sooner and allow them to drop the legacy interfaces.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"We get it. You like systemd. Buy why should it be mandatory - and in effect, it is - instead of optional?"

Except for the fact that in the vast majority of Linux distros systemd IS opinional. Please do not conflate "default" with "mandatory". Yes, there are a few distros, RHEL derivatives for example, that it's not so optional. Debian, Arch, and countless others simply use it by default while others don't use it at all.

In the case of Debian Jessie, you can replace systemd with SysV in less than 5 minutes and 1 reboot.

3. nijam Silver badge

> I'm really tired of listing to people whine about systemd.

Well, you should follow the strategy of the systemd developers, and just never listen.

3. GrumpenKraut

Without saying anything at all?

Less so why they've done it. Not exactly good style in my book.

4. James 51
    Linux

Time to fork it?

1. seanf

Steady on James. No damn it; time to fork it!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Coat

...exclamation point!!

Already got my coat, walked out the door, now settling in at that joint across the street with the pitchfork-wielding daemon mascot :)

Stick a fork in that penguin-arse and turn it over, it's done.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

I'd rather spoon it.

1. PJF
        Coat

"I'd rather spoon it."

. . . there is no spoon!

Yeah, I'll grab "the one" that is/is not there. . .

3. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Fork it my buttocks. Time to go with *BSD and call it a day.

5. TonyJ

Sheer arrogance.

This can only come back to bite.

6. Lee D Silver badge

Any sufficiently large organisation eventually morphs to resemble a corrupt corporation.

1. Turtle

@Lee D

"Any sufficiently large organisation eventually morphs to resemble a corrupt corporation."

In the given context, what exactly do you mean by "corrupt"?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

We should do our own Linux and call it Regix

I've come up with the name, now over to you for the coding bits.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wonder how many Individual members there were?

I'd probably have stumped the $99 If I'd known that such a thing existed, but cutting them off feels a little more ICAAN then FSF. Corporate interests(albiet many open source companies) already made up the majority of the foundations voting and political clout before this. I want to know the reasons this change was made, as a matter of public interest.

If they want to lock out the little guy someone could always fill out a couple of forms and charter "Sticking up for the Littleguy, LLC" and "Suprise! I can vote too, INC"

Not to happy that all of the corp membership benefits and information are buried in the Bylaws either. C- grade on transparency.

Silver membership is 5000 for 100 members, so with overhead it would be about 30% less then than the 99/year individual membership, with one shared vote, but slightly broader voting rights.

Since there is an open Platinum slot, if you can get enough bodies to float $500,000 a year you get a guaranteed seat. But that would take at least 10,000 people to get to half the seats that were previously elected by individual members?

1. Fibbles

Re: Wonder how many Individual members there were?

Crowdfunding sites provide millions of dollars to people and companies with what are often stupid and unworkable ideas. Surely we can crowdfund something useful, like enough votes to seriously influence the FSF board.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Has anyone emailed bob.smith2315@mail.com to see if he actually suffers or if he's now better off with bob.smith2315@linux.com?

10. sean.fr

How was the vote passed?

Presumably this changed was voted on. Why was there no stink when the vote was called?

Linus Torvalds is the driving force and is well know for his big mouth. It is surprising he does not take a position one way or the other.

11. John Crisp

No surprises here.

Along with RH attempting to dominate and 'unify' linux this is just another step on the road to a binary blob alternative to M$.

The days of 'amateur' linux and multiple distros are nigh.

https://fosdem.org/2016/schedule/event/distros_rethinking/

"Well, how about they stop providing a distribution."

The sales machine is in full swing and the devs are being outwitted by those 'dumb schmucks' in marketing.

Welcome to the brave new world....

12. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

And here's a gem (a) denying that any change has happened or if it has it's to provide better value to individual supporters and (b) attempting to change the subject:

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/news-media/blogs/browse/2016/01/linux-foundation-update

13. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Very Sad

But smells like money talking (why am I not surprised)

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Taxation without representation? Wasn't there a Tea-party held over that one a while ago?

Animal Farm had the bleeting sheep now linux has the bleeding supporters?

15. PJF
    Mushroom

W. T. H.

Here I am trying to get every/any one I know off of the MS money train, now this bulll sh!t. WTF!

Hell, I may as(s) well recommended chrome as the "Next Best Thing" (TM, CR, Corp, LLC, IP, etc..)!

By-by little penguin... I had such high hopes for ya, little guy.

PJ

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: W. T. H.

I'm jumping ship. Will be upgrading to a variant of BSD.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder if this is a pre-emptive attempt to keep someone like Carl Icahn from trying to take over and run the thing into the ground just to make a quick buck.

1. James 51

As long as Apple has a cash pile larger than a small country's GDP I think he'll be too busy trying to milk them.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Time to switch to a BSD?

OpenBSD,

FreeBSD,

NetBSD,

Dragonfly,

There was even an ArchBSD at one point, which sadly now seems dead >.<

1. Hans 1
      Boffin

Re: Time to switch to a BSD?

You forgot PCBSD, FreeBSD designed for the desktop.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Let's hope PCBSD doesn't lead to the Ubuntuzation of FreeBSD, though. Making it too easy, at the cost of underlying complexity bloat, is what killed Linux.

1. PaulFrederick

There's no such thing as too easy. Just bad designs masquerading as ease of use.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Such a remarkable coincidence..

.. that all of this happened after that much heralded event.

It got what it wanted - now it's a corporate game. NOW will you listen that they're not to be trusted?

19. Tryker

I clicked on "Donate" and this line caught my attention:

You can make a donation to support the overall efforts of the Linux Foundation. All donations can be made using a credit card, PayPal account or check. Please note that donations are not tax deductible.

Not tax deductible? So this is a 'for profit" foundation? In the same category as political donations and donations to the NRA-ILA.....

20. Eduard Coli

Seems familiar

Remember when ICANN did this? When an inner circle realized how much they could make squeezing domain names.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like