back to article Gotcha: Symantec fires reseller nabbed in tech support scam

An authorised Symantec reseller has been caught hoodwinking users into buying security software by employing underhand marketing tactics. Silurian Tech Support was spotted flinging fake Norton-themed security warnings in an attempt to drum up business by Symantec rival Malwarebytes. The alerts were used to direct users towards …

1. TeeCee Gold badge
    Holmes

Really?

....appears to be based in.......India...

A tech support scam turns out to be from India?

I'll take a wild punt here and bet that bears shit in the woods too.

2. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Excellent, one down, one less to go.

Made my day.

But another one will just spring up in its place...

3. TonyJ

Well...

It's nice to see a large vendor taking affirmative action.

But ultimately it comes down to how much more the scumbag operators lose and if I had to guess, it'd be less if the vendor cuts them off than stopping their sharp practices.

4. 2460 Something

"While we can’t say conclusively who was behind this particular scam,"

Sounds like they realise there is actually another layer up and this was just a clever front. So unfortunately a 'new' company will probably already have been set-up from the same offices with the same people doing exactly the same thing. Sounds like a step up from cold-calling people to try get remote access to 'fix problems' though.

@TeeCee

But if nobody is there to see/hear it, does it really happen?

5. Missing Semicolon Silver badge
    Happy

"Silurian"

I didn't realise that Doc Who was popular in India?

6. CAPS LOCK

It's a shame Indian authorities aren't bothered about this stuff...

... I get it all the time at work and I deliberately mess them about but still...

As an aside this is one of the reasons for me moving us off Windows.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's a shame Indian authorities aren't bothered about this stuff...

As an aside this is one of the reasons for me moving us off Windows.

To stop them ringing up and claiming to be 'from Windows'?

2. Bluto Nash
      Trollface

When I get these calls I fire up a Mint VM and tell them that NO, I can't find the start button and that my keyboard (IBM Model M) doesn't appear to have a Windows button. They get rather confused.

3. Mark 85

You really think that will stop the calls? It doesn't, it just makes them argue with you that you are using windows. A more proactive approach is to let loose with a string of invectives along with questioning if their parents were married... amongst other things. Usually 30 seconds and they're gone.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: questioning if their parents were married...

Tag them along a bit.

Then ask them about their family, and expect a puzzled reaction for daring to go off the various options in their script.

Then ask how the person calling you would like it if someone made this kind of scam call to someone in their family.

Wait for the phone to go down, and be pleased that you've dealt with matters constructively, and that you might (just *might*) have made someone think.

1. Mark 85

Re: questioning if their parents were married...

Lately, I've just not been in the mood to string them along and have fun with them before dropping the hammner, etc.

In the past, I've done a lot of the stuff folks over time have mentioned here about dealing with them. Maybe it's lost it's challenged for me. I had a wise man tell me that it's "not fair in a battle of wits to engage the un-armed.".

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Definition: Silurian = reptile.

Does that mean the vendors had a twisted sense of humour?

8. Sleep deprived
    Trollface

"We’ll update this story as and when we hear back from the firm."

They would have replied already if it weren't for a bug in your PC. Although they can fix it for a flat fee.

9. daajjall

How would a bear get their bronze badge? (note the gender neutral pronoun)

10. Tubz Silver badge

and you wonder why people do not trust calls from outsourced contracts in India and just to be fair, most far east countries. !

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon