back to article Trojan-filled Chrome extensions for Steam boil off gamers' assets

Miscreants are slinging fraudulent Chrome extension trojans at gamers that, if installed, will empty victims’ Steam inventory. Security researcher Bart Blaze warned that supposedly "helpful" Chrome extensions for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS:GO) are actually scamware. “Instead of being able to change your CS:GO Double …

1. Captain Scarlet Silver badge
    Meh

Add-ons

The unfortunate thing with PC gaming is that its possible for someone to have malicious intentions.

Steam haven't helped making virtual crap worth actual money (Why anyone wants a stupid virtual badge is beyond me, I sell anything like that to suckers but I have known TF2 some boxed items were going for hundreds of pounds).

As soon as something has value someone will try and take it from you.

Its a shame as PC gamers have access to some of the best modifications for games which are free.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Add-ons

together with "Csgodouble AutoGambling Bot” etc

'Greed of money is the root of all evil' - I recall reading that somewhere, sometime

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: making virtual crap worth actual money

I fully agree. I like gaming, and I think Steam is the best online merchant there is, but I regularly get annoyed at all the hoopla going on around the games I play. I don't care for an exclusive hat, nor do I intend to ever waste my time for cosmetic stuff that does nothing to the abilities I can enjoy in-game.

Arctic skin for my sniper rifle ? I'll take it if I get it, but I'll be damned if I pay money for it.

In any case, this article is an eye-opener for me. Had no idea that a simple browser extension could have such consequences on my game world.

1. Boothy

I'm a Steam user, it's my primary gaming portal. But, I never got the point of the trading cards!

What benefit do they give me? By that I mean tangible benefits, i.e. will it give me something in game (a new gun, vehicle etc), will it give me early access, or unlock something not normally available?

If not, then what is their point? Why do they exists? Do people collect these just for the sake of it?

Genuine question, really, what are they for?

1. TeeCee Gold badge
          Mushroom

If it's virtual, it's collectable and can be used in a game, it's worth a shedload of real cash in SE Asia. (Too many rich "gamers" too lazy to do the real work of earning the stuff themselves).

Steam need to get with the program and do what Blizzard have done. Separate servers for SE Asia, rigorous IP geolocation for same, walled to fuck and impossible to transfer balances and virt goods to/from other regions.

Effectively, put the little shits in a box and glue the lid down.

Icon: Yes, this is the nuclear option.

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

..."in a box and glue the lid down."

Don't hold back with the parcel tape either.

3. Grikath

Re: Add-ons

"Steam haven't helped making virtual crap worth actual money"

RMT has been an issue well before Steam ever reared its head.. This isn't helped by the simple fact that most gaming companies claim to combat RMT, but effectively don't give a damn. It detracts from any potential profit, as it takes time, effort, and manpower. Quite a few of them even encourage it, as various associated activities inflate subscription numbers and server population, boosting the perceived "success" of a game.

And gods know you only need a couple of overentitled teens with daddy's credit card to make it worthwile. And there's plenty of those around. The competitive "winner" culture of modern Asia and the US doesn't help much there either. Nor does the "beat-the-system" culture in eastern Europe and the old CCCP.

It isn't "Steam". It's that people attach Value to game tat. And anything with Value can be traded at the black market.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

If it seems too good to be true - it usually is.

1. Mark 85

If it seems too good to be true - it usually always is.

FTFY since this is the www we're talking about.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Trojan filled browser extensions ..

Shouldn't that be a browser trojan, after all, we're not allowed to mention the actual $product here on this technology site.

http://s7.postimg.org/nuw06uxmj/Rejected_theregister.png

1. Dabooka

Re: Trojan filled browser extensions ..

"Shouldn't that be a browser trojan, after all, we're not allowed to mention the actual $product here on this technology site."

I had a comment rejected once for mentioning Sunderland. I kid you not.

1. LaeMing

Re: Trojan filled browser extensions ..

Yes, from that perspective, cosmetic add-ins are perfect money-makers because they are entirely opt-in for players.

4. weevil

All these people neigh-saying to paid cosmetic addons that have no game affecting change. Are you all smoking crack?

This is how these companies make money.

I would much rather have skins that cost money, than having to pay for weapons that are better. That would destroy all these games. I am ALL for cosmetic skins for games, its a stroke of business genius. It allows for much better service due to better and consistent income. Just look how much it costs to buy CS:GO or TF2 vs the number of staff actively developing the game (more so cs:go than TF2 these days, but the point is still valid)

People who say that cosmetic skins are bad are narrow minded.

5. Gis Bun

I guess Google forgot to screen this one....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like