back to article It's not just you: Massive Comcast outage blows Bay Area offline

Comcast subscribers across the San Francisco Bay Area reported problems with their broadband connections Tuesday night through Wednesday morning. People tweeted updates beginning yesterday evening that their service in the area was out, with no word from Comcast regarding the cause. @JohnLegere @TMobile #BingeOn is a …

1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Thank God I dumped Comcast for Wave

Did it for a lot of customer service and price reasons, but if Comcast wants to fall down on QoS too...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Newz

If you went to downdetector.com you'll notice that the east cost is also having problems. Chicago and Denver too.

But that would be harder than just pasting tweets.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Newz

Wonder why they just reported outage in SF and not mentioned that there are outages all across the country? Guess if you don't live there you don't matter.

1. Preston Munchensonton

Wonder why they just reported outage in SF and not mentioned that there are outages all across the country?

At any one point in time, there's an outage virtually anywhere you look. The question is whether the scope is big enough to draw the interest of the public. No one cares if one site is down. They will care if no one can get to the latest season of Game of Thrones (when it finally comes out, anyway).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Shrug. According to the downdetector.com sites current outages map for comcast there are currently outages all over the place, some look bigger than the SF one. Perhaps the article author lives in SF. Not really bothered.

2. a_yank_lurker

Comcrap has been flighty in other parts of the US but I do not know of widespread outages.

2. Mark 85

Looks like quite few others are have similar issues in similar areas...Charter for one. Sometimes, tech types in SF forget there's more to the country than SF, I guess.

1. Jos V

Not only that, when you zoom in on the downdetector map on the "hotspots" the outage gets less and less dense, and when you zoom out to complete NAR, the US is a giant red blurb of outage. I guess the algorithm they use is # of reports per pixels.

3. Mikel

Servicing the customer

To Comcast this means something wholly different.

4. Mark 85

Netflix a lifesaver?

For some reason that first Twit.. e... Tweet in the article strikes me as bizarre. Almost feel sorry for them that life depends on Netflix.

5. Shadow Systems

Sorry, I would've commented earlier...

But I'm a Comcast customer near ground zero.

*Sigh*

1. Mark 85

Re: Sorry, I would've commented earlier...

Which "ground zero"? Looks to be quite a few.

6. chivo243 Silver badge

Super Bowl starting early?

I read the Bay area was a target during the super bowl? Fibres cut, etc...

7. Peter Simpson 1
    FAIL

Bungled network reconfiguration

...if my experience is anything to go by. They periodically reconfigure their lower level subnets to account for growth, one would assume. In my area, they have a history of bungling the default gateway addresses provided by DHCP.

8. Number6

I didn't notice an outage, it was certainly working at 11pm Tuesday night and 6am Wednesday morning because I stream BBC radio at those times. Perhaps they missed us.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm still waiting for an answer

Why is Comcast immune from prosecution for their documented violations of law? Is not the U.S. FTC and FCC responsible for protecting consumers and society in general from companies who have been documented to willfully violate U.S. consumer protection and other laws? Why when thousands of people file complaints with the FTC and FCC about these violations of laws and the abuse that Comcast inflicts on it's customers, why precisely is it that nothing is done to stop these crimes? Why does the FCC and FTC NOT issue a cease and desist order for Comcast's criminal activity. Why does the dept. of Justice (DOJ), not prosecute Comcast for their criminal activity? Why isn't Comcast fined millions for their blatant violations of law, including illegal blockage of legitimate international e-mail sent to U.S. Comcast subscribers?

I'd like answers from the FTC, the FCC and the DOJ on this matter. What are tax payer's paying for if these government agencies are NOT going to enforce law and protect society from criminals? I would think the media and everyone impacted by Comcast's illegal business practices would be asking the FTC, FCC and DOJ how it's possible for Comcast to get away with these criminal violations for years.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Have a look at this attack map and you may get a better idea why - http://map.norsecorp.com/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like