back to article RAM, bam, thank you Ma'am! Samsung fires up fastest-ever memory

Samsung says it has started making a new and faster form of DRAM. The Korean colossus says the wheels are turning and pistons pumping at plants churning out High Bandwidth Memory (HBM2) DRAM. HBM2 was only signed off as a standard on January 12th, when electronics industry standards group JEDEC (founded as the Joint Electron …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

RAM, bam, thank you Sam!.. Shirley?

Can't help thinking our beloved heroic headline writing soviet missed a trick there :(

Nice change to read something about cool new stuff which is ALREADY IN PRODUCTION, rather than a perpetual decade away, though :)

PS Why do I seem to be receiving eleven minutes to edit my splaffs today? I feel like I'm channelling the incomparable greatness of Spinal Tap

1. Known Hero
      Thumb Up

Re: RAM, bam, thank you Sam!.. Shirley?

Nice change to read something about cool new stuff which is ALREADY IN PRODUCTION, rather than a perpetual decade away, though :)

This times a million !!!! Wish I could upvote you multiple times,

"splaffs" 1980's coder ??? is that you :)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Troll

>This times a million !!!! Wish I could upvote you multiple times,

>"splaffs" 1980's coder ??? is that you :)

Cheers! :)

No. Not he. ;)

2. Alistair
      Windows

"PS Why do I seem to be receiving eleven minutes to edit my splaffs today? I feel like I'm channelling the incomparable greatness of Spinal Tap"

Yer already running that nifty new memory in your instance of reality, so its running faster?

2. Mikel

Nice.

Looks like they're putting this in the processor package though, so... hyperdense ARM Server?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: Nice.

Hmmm.... could well be... and if so, it could well be the light that poor old AMD can see coming...

1. Steven Raith

Well, they've already used HBM1 memory on the Fury GPUs (Which is why they're restricted to 4Gb per package) so I'd expect to see this on the next gen GPUs and possibly a lighter implementation being used as a 'slow' cache on Zen based APUs.

I'm not sure if that much cache would make a huge difference on a straight CPU? At least, not as dramatic a difference as a on a GPU/CPU combo where the GPU can utilise it as VRAM, allowing significantly chunkier games (And GPU accelerated apps) to be played without a discrete GPU - so good for gaming laptops perhaps? Anyone got any educated opinions?

Steven R

1. Bronek Kozicki

Cache is very sensitive to latency, and from this very large bandwidth you will mostly benefit if it was main memory (not cache). I do expect to see those in performance-oriented AMD Polaris 11 GPUs, though.

3. TonyJ
    Joke

But...

...does it run Crysis?

4. Ragequit

Cool but...

Until they start producing the 8Gb parts it's future is questionable in GPU's. Insomuch that VR and 4k gaming are going to increase demand for texture space. 4Gb is fine today but I dunno about 6-12 months from now. Also while 256 GBps is impressive as memory goes it's actually slower than the rated bandwidth of some of the higher end GDDR5 cards out there (Usually achieved with a 512 bit bus). That said the power requirements and the clock freq needed are presumably much less so mid range graphics cards and APU's does sound like the likely fit.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon