back to article Fears of fiber cable cuts, rogue drones menacing crowds at Super Bowl 50

A security memo from the FBI and Department of Homeland Security has warned of the dangers from a high-tech attack against crowds flocking to Silicon Valley for this year's Super Bowl jamboree. The climactic game will be held in the San Francisco 49ers stadium in Santa Clara on February 7, although there will be a series of …

1. RedneckMother

well...

If all the "terrists" do is to cut the video feed, I say "who gives a sh*t?"

The stupid bowl is such a non-event, and I don't understand all the hoohah.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: well...

"The stupid bowl is such a non-event, and I don't understand all the hoohah."

It keeps Americans occupied until their MLS league develops enough to give them some real Football worth watching....

1. 404

I learned everything I know about football from British tv:

'Hooray. He's kicked the ball. Now the ball's over there. That man has it now. That's an interesting development. Maybe he'll kick the ball. He has indeed and apparently that deserves a round of applause...'

See? I'm well rounded.

;)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"I learned everything I know about football from British tv:"

Well yes we do like to take the piss out of how crap the yanks are at Football.

1. Kurt Meyer

"Well yes we do like to take the piss out of how crap the yanks are at Football."

I agree, knocked out in the round of 16 is pretty poor, It's hard to imagine doing worse than that.

2. Mark 85
      Meh

Don't you know that most people don't watch it for the "game"? They watch it for the commercials and then there's the parties that happen. The feed for the game could be cut and not many would care in reality as long as the adult beverages flow, the food is reasonably good and the commercials play.

Disclaimer: I haven't watched this particular event in a couple of decades... and I'm American.

1. David 132 Silver badge
        Coat

Disclaimer: I haven't watched this particular event in a couple of decades... and I'm American.

Besides, the American mascot is the Bald Eagle, not this so-called Superb Owl.

2. Kurt Meyer

Football in February

I can't wait, although Juve will be a tough test.

3. Malcolm Weir Silver badge

Notice how the FBI and Homeland Security are concerned about... UNAUTHORIZED VIDEO COVERAGE!!!

Yep, the idea that some punter may get to see something except through the anointed TV channel is as big a threat to US security as bombs-n-shit. I mean, the ads on the blessed TV outlet cost MILLIONS, and for someone who paid that much money to not get their money's would be a crisis!

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

It's more than a crisis - it's an attack at capitalism itself!

1. NotBob

And here I thought the cold war was over. Darned commies!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Coat

@allthecoolnames

Damned web-streaming, live-blogging commies, interfering with corporate America's favorite pastime!

Mine's the Mao jacket with the Little Red Book in the pocket!!

4. JaitcH
    Thumb Down

More groundless fear-mongering from an Agency that stages 'terrorism'

QUOTE: "Well, the primary fact is that their chance of being killed in a terrorist attack on any given year is about 1 in 4 million. Their chance of being killed in an automobile accident, for example, is about 1 in 6- or 7,000. If we talk about the period since 9/11, your chance of being killed is 1 in 90 million per year. So, that is where the discussion should start. It isn’t where it should end, but certainly the basis should be there. Instead of constantly talking about, “Are we safer?” The beginning question should be, “How safe are we?” And these statistics and odds are an indication of how safe we are. Salon: 2016 JAN 18-“More than a trillion dollars has been misspent”

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: More groundless fear-mongering from an Agency that stages 'terrorism'

Yes, let's take the 3000+ dead in 2001 and spread that number amongst many other years so it doesn't look significant, and let's also talk about a past without 2001 altogether. See how easy it is to make concerned citizens look like fearful old spinsters?

Spare us your 'statistics', okay? There isn't an acceptable terrorism loss rate no matter what you personally believe.

1. Lysenko

There isn't an acceptable terrorism loss rate...

There isn't an acceptable street mugging loss rate either; nor any other sort of murder rate.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: There isn't an acceptable terrorism loss rate...

> "There isn't an acceptable street mugging loss rate either; nor any other sort of murder rate."

So you believe that terrorism is just another form of crime? Sorry but that's incorrect. Terrorism is an act that attempts to instill terror in a population in order to cow and control that population politically. It's nothing like simple murder and muggings. But go ahead, keep living in your comfortable imaginary world.

1. Lysenko

@Big John

I didn't "imagine" being less than 500m from terrorist bombs here in the UK on three different occasions. It happened. Once it was Jihadis (7/7) the other two were IRA.

I'm still a damned sight more concerned with incompetent idiots in motor vehicles and if I were still in the USA I'd be far more worried about mouth breathing retards with a quasi-sexual firearms fetish. Terrorists. Not so much.

We're supposed to be IT professionals. We apply maths and statistics to decision trees, not FUD and rhetoric (that's Consultant territory).

2. TheDillinquent

"Terrorism is an act that attempts to instil terror in a population"

So our governments and media are terrorists?

Thought so...

3. John Robson Silver badge

"So you believe that terrorism is just another form of crime? Sorry but that's incorrect. Terrorism is an act that attempts to instill terror in a population "

So you are giving them the victory?

Ignore them, they are an insignificant threat compared with those we have decided are "normal" and acceptable.

2. John Robson Silver badge

"Spare us your 'statistics', okay? There isn't an acceptable terrorism loss rate no matter what you personally believe."

Yet there is an acceptable automobile related death rate?

And an acceptable gunshot death rate?

Terrorists are so low down on the actual threat list for human lives/health that they really shouldn't be significantly considered.

Of course if the fibre gets cut and someone is streaming online from a remote control aircraft... then all hell will break loose - no ad breaks, how are the players going to get their rests?

3. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

Yes, let's take the 3000+ dead in 2001 and spread that number amongst many other years so it doesn't look significant, and let's also talk about a past without 2001 altogether.

While 3,000 were killed by terrorists in 2001 Americans killed 10,0000 of their own in gun homicides and 100,000 were shot. And, while the terrorist toll has not been repeated, that from gun violence has repeated year in year out.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Personal injury aside...

...a few rogue drones at a super bowl might actually make the event interesting....

1. PleebSmasher
      Trollface

Re: Personal injury aside...

They can drop DVD screeners of Concussion into the stands.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Personal injury aside...

Or just require the crowd to wear footbal helmets and pads for safety.

6. Blofeld's Cat
    Facepalm

Hmm...

Around here most fibre cable cuts are the result of copper thieves being unable to read (or not believing) the "no scrap value" labels put on the cable. They often manage to rip long lengths out of the ground before making the discovery.

7. Hairy Airey

Being the pedant I am

Football (ie soccer) is a throwy kicky game - neither is actually solely played with the feet.

The Superbowl is a big event in the US, it's been joked before that Russia could invade whilst it's on and no-one would notice. It's only a matter of time until it is attacked by terrorists.

In other news they are calling this year's Superbowl 50 because Superbowl L doesn't really appeal. Nor will Superbowl LI. Time to drop the Roman numerals I think.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Re: Being the pedant I am

Superbowl LIV looks an interesting broadcast, though...

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Superbowl XXX was the best yet.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Debbie does Dallas?

1. Fungus Bob

Debbie does the Dallas Cowboys.

There, FTFY

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do they still use a blimp for TV shots of the event?

The 1977 film "Black Sunday" was about an attack that could happen in the USA by hijacking the TV blimp.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075765/

1. Alister

How dare you come on here and blatantly advertise a terrist training video!

Whilst you're at it, here's how to bring down Washington:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0337978/

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"[...] terrist training video!"

Did you mean "terraced"?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/schoolboy-questioned-by-lancashire-police-because-he-said-he-lived-in-a-terrorist-house-a6822231.html

10. David Roberts

49'ers ground?

Have you been in the area and looked around?

Pretty damn bleak and desolate even in March/April.

Not surprised that any cables (plus probably loads of other stuff) gets lifted from time to time.

11. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

Full Contact

... there will be a series of events in San Francisco and the Valley to commemorate the runny... version of football favored by the rebellious colonies.

I understand that concussions in American football have been a topic for news coverage lately, but if someone gets hit hard enough to go past "rattled" straight to "runny" I suspect things might change a little faster than they have so far.

12. Fungus Bob

the runny, kicky, throwy version of football favored by the rebellious colonies

Unlike the runny, kicky, head-butty version of football favored by the Yurpeans...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon