back to article NASA books space shuttle delivery truck

NASA looks set to get back into the space shuttle business with the announcement of three International Space Station cargo delivery contracts, one of which has been handed to Sierra Nevada Corporation and its "Dream Chaser" vehicle. The Dream Chaser docked with the ISS. Pic: Sierra Nevada Corporation Coming soon to an ISS …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cool!, looks just like the one that Steve Austin flew in The Six Million Dollar Man...

...oh wait a minute....that one crashed.

1. VinceH

Re: Cool!, looks just like the one that Steve Austin flew in The Six Million Dollar Man...

It does, a bit!

I believe that was real crash footage from some experimental vehicle.

2. AbelSoul
      Trollface

Re: Six Million Dollar Man...oh wait a minute...that one crashed.

Bummer but never mind, if that happens we can rebuild him...we have the technology.

3. Andy The Hat Silver badge

Re: Cool!, looks just like the one that Steve Austin flew in The Six Million Dollar Man...

May look like that but I reckon it's actually John Crichton's module from Farscape ...

4. phuzz Silver badge

If you want an in-depth answer then you should read "The Lifting Body Story" by Dale Reed, but the short(ish) version is this:

During the 60's and 70's NASA was experimenting with lifting body aircraft. One of the designs was known as the M2-F2, and the footage of a crash of that one ended up as the start to the $6M man.

Another design was the Northrup HL-10 (as seen in this cool picture). Later the design was refined to produce the HL-20 and X-23, and although the HL-20 never flew, it's design was used for both Farscape 1 (fictionally), and Dream Chaser (in reality).

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken
        Pint

@phuzz

Thanks for the link and the info! Have a pint, an UV and a nice weekend.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Contract Out, Screw the Workforce

So the space program now contracts out it's work, since contractors can skimp on safety and force workers to handle highly dangerous and fatally toxic materials with impunity, unlike NASA that not only has to follow safety regulations, but has to pay health care costs for injured workers.

1. Preston Munchensonton
      Trollface

Re: Contract Out, Screw the Workforce

So the space program now contracts out it's work, since contractors can skimp on safety and force workers to handle highly dangerous and fatally toxic materials with impunity, unlike NASA that not only has to follow safety regulations, but has to pay health care costs for injured workers.

If you understood the impact of government regulation, you would never, ever make such an asinine, uninformed statement. Ever. Now, go find a different bridge to live under.

2. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge
      FAIL

Umm... what? Are you on drugs? If you are - stop. If you're not, take some and chill the fuck out.

Pretty sure you'll find the private enterprises have the same worker safety and materials handling requirements that NASA does. They just don't have the pork and other massive administration overheads.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Oh I think you'll find NASA outside contractors have plenty of pork. Oh dear yes. That's why United Launch Alliance already cost something like twice as much to launch satellites as SpaceX, and possibly more. Also, for the manned missions to the ISS in a few years time, I believe Boeing are costing twice as much money as SpaceX to do the same 6 launches each.

NASA have always used outside contractors anyway. Rockwell, Boeing, Lockheed Martin etc. The only difference is that now the contractors are also operating the kit, as well as supplying it.

1. Graham Marsden
          Alert

Remember Alan Shepard's comment:

"It's a very sobering feeling to be up in space and realize that one's safety factor was determined by the lowest bidder on a government contract."

3. cray74

since contractors can skimp on safety and force workers to handle highly dangerous and fatally toxic materials with impunity

Like hell. I work in the Central Florida aerospace industry and you can't fart in the factory without a material safety data sheet, work instructions specifying personal protective equipment, an OSHA safety audit, and the EPA climbing up your ass to look for hexavalent chromium and lingering organic poisons.

I've had an order of a new alloy of stainless steel banned by the corporate environmental, health, and safety group because stainless steel had chromium in it and I planned to "drill, weld, or machine" the chromium-containing material, never mind that 95% of the products in the factory currently have various stainless alloys in them (all 12% or higher chromium). They were terrified of Erin Brockovich showing up and suing about chromium, and pointing out that the entire cafeteria kitchen was made out of stainless (heated by natural gas flames) won me no points in the argument. All I managed was to scare some of the EHS interns into getting glass cookware for their dorms.

I pity any contractor that actually works on the Cape. It's surrounded by protected wetlands and Florida's state environmental regulations are sometimes tighter than the federal EPA's, like for oil spills. At my last job in the area, I was the (part-time) environmental, health, and safety coordinator for the facility when the backup diesel generator puked a few gallons of fuel down a storm drain. That was $10,000 of fun, and we weren't even fined because we jumped on the problem and cleaned up the drain line before it got to an open water area. The EPA didn't care because the spill was too small, but Florida's Department of Environmental Protection wanted a report and performed an on-site review afterwards. The expenses were for the specialty clean-up crews we had to hire that day, and it was much cheaper than letting the oil get to open water.

The real world of private contractors isn't like Hollywood's evil corporations. The private companies most likely to skimp on environmental regulations are little mom-and-pop car mechanics or dry cleaners who don't have the knowledge, labor, or budget to wade through the regulations for proper chemical handling. Bigger companies stick to environmental regulations because failing to do so is more expensive than skipping them - you can only get away with it for so long before some disgruntled (or sick, or sick and disgruntled) worker complains, then your federal contracts evaporate.

4. Beachrider

Clearly, ULA has made a great deal out of their 'no failures' approach. The issue with THEM is that they haven't done much to reduce cost and make space more accessible. SpaceX won't get away with a careless approach, but they are 'on their own' to improve stuff, rather than wait for NASA to manage the progress for them.

NASA privatized satellite manufacture in the 1990s, that is what NASA is SUPPOSED to do. NASA is about 'basic research'. They did the FASTRAC activity in the 1990s, while shuttle was still dominating the big-rocket work. FASTRAC was leveraged by SpaceX to build their rockets. SpaceX has done a LOT of own-thinking to improve on FASTRAC, but they never would have gotten capitalized without access to NASA's basic research.

3. TheProf
    Facepalm

Cool but

I had to stop watching the promo video when the choir started singing.

4. Christoph

Pretty, but ... ?

There have been lots of proposals for very pretty-looking space systems, but the great majority run into all sorts of problems when they actually build them and try them out.

This could be a very nice system, if it actually works in practice.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Pretty, but ... ?

@Christoph - well, they have built it already, and it has also done test flights in atmosphere. Granted they've yet to launch ito space and return, but everyone has to start somewhere. Despite my not being convinced that that type of reuasable craft has much of a future (short of the secret of Starlite heat-insulating paint being rediscovered), I still wish Sierra Nevada all the best in their endeavours, the more companies getting into space the better

5. Gene Cash Silver badge

That header photo kind of sucks

It's like comparing a Mini with a tanker truck with a clever photo angle. A bit like the "really, I'm not fat" selfie.

A Shuttle is huge. I didn't know how huge until I started collecting 1/72 models and noticed that two Apollo CSMs would fit in the cargo bay, and that the Orbiter alone is bigger than a Mercury-Atlas or a Gemini-Titan.

I think nearly 4 Dreamchasers could fit in a Shuttle cargo bay.

This is a bone thrown to them to keep them alive. I think it's good to keep an alternative approach to the current fleet of capsules.

However I'm pissed that this is 100% duplicating the guidance and aerodynamics work done by X-37B. If NASA hadn't fumbled that so badly that the USAF stole it for a pittance, it'd be open research instead of a military secret.

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

And the problem was that

the Shuttle was huge. All that mass hoisted to orbit just to bring back seven astronauts. (The contents of the cargo bay were almost invariably on a one way trip.) That was the tragedy of the Space Shuttle system - wonderful tech made horribly inefficient because the USAF thought they might like to snatch satellites from orbit.. Much better to provide a low-g landing system for just the cargo that needs it and dump the rest of the mass.

1. Charles Manning

Re: And the problem was that

"the Shuttle was huge"

That was not a problem in itself.

The problem was the decree that they have one type of vehicle and they use it for everything.

Hence you get something akin to a petrol tanker truck being used for going to church on Sundays, taking the kids to soccer and driving through the McDonalds drive through on the way home.... as well as once in a while actually delivering a load of petrol.

6. Grikath

Cynical...

I have a proposal that will save billions that can then be put to work to advancing other areas of space exploration/science:

Stop adding wings to stuff when it comes to space delivery. Go with the tried, proven, and aerodynamically and scientifically eminently more suitable droplet shape for manned/material delivery/return, and the solid-enough Tin Can approach for goods delivery/fiery-death re-entry disposal.

Whatever type of wings you put on the thing, it will still be only marginally more maneuverable than a brick, while adding tons of complexity and risk that are. not. necessary.

The fact that the Bureaucrats have signed off on this irrefutably tells you their inherent lack of suitability for the job they're supposed to be doing.

7. Stoke the atom furnaces

Awful

So, lots of potential payload mass wasted carting the lifting body shape and the undercarriage into space each flight.

Honest to goodness Apollo style parachutes work just fine, are far lighter, and do not result in loss of vehicle if the glide approach to the runway is screwed up (No Buran-style jet engines for a go around).

Why is NASA wasting money on this frivolity?

1. Andrew Newstead

Re: Awful

Hmmm - a couple of points need addressing here, I'll start with the last one, why should NASA want such a beast that can glide and land on a runway. The capsule method has been admitted to have quite a rough landing and this has caused concern that some of the more fragile payloads that need returning from the ISS will be damaged or destroyed on landing. The aerodynamic glide and landing has been shown (100 + space shuttle landings) to be very gentle and is considered to be more acceptable for fragile cargo. Also the cargo will be accessible much more quickly after landing because the vehicle will return to well equipped facility (usually the launch site).

Referring to the lifting body shape. This has been regarded as the best form of aerodynamic reentry vehicle since the sixties. As the body of the vehicle has the wing shape it is possible to pack the mechanisms of the craft into the vehicle much more efficiently than you would with the space shuttle. The shuttle's wings did indeed incur a mass penalty but this is not the case with a full lifting body design. The fins on the lifting body are not too much about lift, more directional control.

1. Stoke the atom furnaces

"some of the more fragile payloads that need returning from the ISS will be damaged or destroyed on landing"

Amazon solve that problem millions of times a day with bubble wrap.

2. Charles Manning

"Why is NASA wasting money on this frivolity?" To be seen to be doing the "right thing".

To go back to Apollo-syle kit looks like a huge step backwards to the 1960s (even if it isn't). They'll struggle to get hundreds of billions of gravy for that.

Going with wings is at least seen (and can be pitched as) an evolutionary tweak on the space shuttle formula. We did the right thing with the shuttle, now we're doing it better.... To step away from that formula risks lots of egg on face.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BOR-4

Not so interesting rehash of 1980s "BOR-4" Soviet technology :-

http://www.astronautix.com/craft/bor4.htm

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: BOR-4

Convergent evolution, see the work NASA did on the M2-F2 and the HL-10 in the 1960's. It turns out there's only so many ways you can design a lifting body and NASA and the Soviets both came up with something similar.

1. Grikath

Even less when you consider that that lifting body has to deal with hypersonic speeds...

Leaves very little room for..creativity..

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Yup. Same problem, same parameters ➡ similar solution (no surprise there).

I am worried a bit about the folding wings, though. Doesn't that mean there is a gap in the heat shield? (Yes, I'm aware it's there by design and they will have taken the problems into account. But still, the only parts that really can't fail are the parts you don't incorporate into the design.)

1. Beachrider

The wings don't fold, they are permanently bent, no?

What Shuttle told NASA is that 'it is all about the mission' and not-so-much about the design of the craft.

9. John 104

Barf

"Few would have imagined back in 2010 when President Barack Obama pledged that NASA would work 'with a growing array of private companies competing to make getting to space easier and more affordable', that less than six years later we'd be able to say commercial carriers have transported 35,000 pounds of space cargo (and counting!) to the International Space Station - or that we’d be so firmly on track to return launches of American astronauts to the ISS from American soil on American commercial carriers. But that is exactly what is happening."

What a load of political crap. Anyone with a brain could see this coming for decades.

1. Queasy Rider

Re: Barf

"Anyone with a brain could see this coming for decades."

Yes, and for decades it never came. But six years ago this prez said it was coming, and it did. Your rant sounds like sour grapes because it happened under Obama.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Barf

Didn"y your mom tell you? Always be nice to the man who signs your paycheck.

10. imanidiot Silver badge

Wait and see

We'll have to wait and see if this dreamchaser will be as "reusable" as the shuttle (ie, pretty much rebuild it from the ground up after every flight) or actually reusable within a useful timeframe.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Wait and see

It should be. AFAIKS there are no big engines on it, which was the main rebuild cost of the shuttle.

1. Beachrider

Re: Wait and see

the tiles were a big issue, too. The engines WERE the #1 problem, though.

11. DJSpuddyLizard

Is it just me

Or does anyone else see a problem with the first picture?

It looks like it has a wheel under each wing, and a support strut under the nose.

That gives you two options :

(1) Plow up the runway with the support under the nose.

(2) Land on the two wheels, which would destroy your heat shield in more than just one narrow strip.

12. mathew42
    Pint

Launch on a Falcon 9

Are there any plans to launch this on a Falcon 9?

For the first time since the shuttle launches in 80s it feels exciting to see spaceflight moving forward again. I doubt we will return to the moon in time for a 50th anniversary celebration but hopefully realistic planning witih dates might be underway for a permanent settlement.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Launch on a Falcon 9

"Are there any plans to launch this on a Falcon 9?"

That was my first thought too.

1. Beachrider

Re: Launch on a Falcon 9

NASA current rules require a consistent interface between the Payload-piece and the rocket-piece. You can launch Dragon-Crew on Atlas V and CST-100 on Falcon, because of these rules. The curious thing here is that the lifting body received unmanned workload. Why, then does it have windshields?

13. DocJames

Hmm

I am sceptical that a folding wing (or more precisely, an unfolding wing) is a good thing to rely upon when landing a great height.* I would be worried about the likelihood of getting man-rated. Complexity = problems, AFAIK. OTOH, SpaceX seem to have managed the complexity of reversing rockets to land vertically so maybe they'll manage the unfolding wing which doesn't break or remain folded.

* space.

1. Queasy Rider

Re: Hmm

Seeing as how a tiny crack allowed heat into a shuttle upon re-entry and caused its loss, I also am sceptical that a folding wing (or more precisely, an unfolding wing) is a good thing to rely upon when coming home.

1. Ru'

"Seeing as how a tiny crack..." Do you mean a 400x400mm (approx) tiny crack...?

1. Queasy Rider

I stand corrected, but I still question the trustworthiness of a folding wings component's continuing reliability to seal an area orders of magnitude greater than 400mm x 400mm. Obviously rocket scientists would beg to differ.

1. Queasy Rider

PS. Was 400mm x 400mm the size of the block of insulation ripped away during launch, or the size of the the opening which allowed the hot gasses to slip inside the shuttle, ultimately destroying it?

1. phuzz Silver badge

(From here)

"The CAIB made the final conclusion that the foam-shedding incident on Columbia's takeoff affected panel 8 of the RCC heat-shielding, which was located on the orbiter's leading edge. That foam strike punctured a hole in the RCC panel roughly 16 inches (41 centimeters) by 16 inches. Analysts estimated that a hole as small as 10 inches (25 cm) across could have caused the orbiter to be destroyed on re-entry through Earth's atmosphere."

[...]

"From a re-entry standpoint, Columbia broke up very late, at a low altitude, roughly 30 to 35 miles (50 to 55 kilometers) above Earth, where heating had almost ceased. The breakup was primarily mechanical, due to localized heating that occurred earlier in the re-entry process."

14. Stoke the atom furnaces

Waste

NASA confined itself to low earth orbit for half a century when it foolishly scrapped Apollo style capsules in favour of the winged Space Shuttle. Winged spacecraft have lower reentry speeds and squander payload mass boosting both wings and the undercarriage into space, which is why the Russians (Soyuz) and SpaceX have stuck with capsules and parachutes for re-entry and landing.

Let's hope that there is an outbreak of common sense before NASA wastes too much more money on winged or lifting body space vehicles..

1. Mark 85

Re: Waste

But...but... they look cool.

Have an upvote anyway... you're right, this does seem to be another folly.

1. Stoke the atom furnaces

Re: Waste

"But...but... they look cool."

But only in a 1970s retro-futuristic way.

Like SpaceX, let's build Apollo-shaped capsules that can go to Mars rather than space planes with heavy but superfluous wings and undercarriages.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like