back to article Self-regulation can address issues that arise in the digital economy, says Airbnb

Self regulation can be a "more effective way" of addressing issues that arise in online markets than passing new legislation, Airbnb has said. In written evidence to a UK parliamentary committee which is looking into how the UK government can support the growth of the digital economy, Airbnb said self regulation can offer a …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I can see their point to an extent

Bullshit is undoubtedly the main thing that keeps the sharing economy bouyant.

And the early indications are that Airbnb and their ilk have an even richer stream of bullshit than even the government regulators.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Facepalm

Sharing Economy UK’s forthcoming 'trust mark'

- Can you regulate yourself?

- Yes.

- Have a sticker. Off you go.

- They said they could regulate themselves. Not our fault.

3. Voland's right hand Silver badge

AirBNB is _NOT_ a new market

Sorry, that is a market which has been around for 30000 years ever since some Neanderthals rented out a spare tunnel in their cave to a passing Cro-magnon family by advertising the empty cave via the shaman on the local market.

It is regulated for bloody good reasons (unfortunately in the UK it is not regulated enough):

1. So that the punters are not fleeced and wake up alive the next day. I love the smell of malfunctioning boiler early in the morning. Or maybe not (if I am dead).

2. So that the person renting it does not come to find the property demolished by a 1000+ drunken and stoned illegal New Year rave and has some legal recourse and insurance if this happens.

So I am totally behind AirBNB on this one. All the way. With a 9 inch blade. Which they deserve.

4. Fraggle850

A new generation of robber barons

> "The existing 'rent-a-room relief' is already available to people who share spare rooms in their primary home. Extending this relief to the sharing of an entire home (i.e. a main residential property) would simplify the tax affairs of many thousands of hosts."

Tax relief for landlords? That'll help sort out the problems in the UK property market.

So they don't want any new legislation but they'd very much like to have existing legislation tweeked for their benefit?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: A new generation of robber barons

I would imagine a good number of Tory MPs are landlords.

5. jonha

AirBnB and trust?

"trust is the essential currency of the collaborative economy"

Certainly true, but hearing this from an outfit like AirBnB whose customer service is non-existent and who is not able or willing to clear up its own listings (I know, I've tried more than once but have now completely given up on the company and its offerings) is particularly irritating.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: AirBnB and trust?

Had to book via AirBnB recently (no choice, no other kind of lodging where I needed it), nice apartment, nice owner, and he very nicely asked if by any chance I would like to pay using cash rather than via the website.

Of course I trust him to pay his fair share of tax on this unregistered transaction!

</sarcasm>

1. intrigid

Re: AirBnB and trust?

Really? You and someone else engage in a mutually beneficial transaction, and your main concern is making sure some other uninvolved 3rd party earns a commission?

6. Harry the Bastard

whiny hipsters plead for special treatment

strange how their desire to 'share', doesn't involve sharing the legitimate regulation, oversight and taxation of the old-fashioned businesses they compete with

whilst they're not perfect, i've never experienced surprise bum-rape or imprisonment by the people of slh, hilton, ihg, marriott, sheraton etc., not sure the same can be said of some airbnb customers

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: whiny hipsters plead for special treatment

I'm curious about non-surprising bum-rape, is that when someone dressed as the village people tips you a wink first?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I'm curious about non-surprising bum-rape"

Room for a joke. So do we prefer:

"So many conversations in a pub start with those very words...."

or:

"I think there's probably a website for that"

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

I'd just like to point out that if it's completely non-surprising then its information content is zero, and it may as well not have occurred.

In fact, if it's completely non-surprising, you can't tell whether it's occurred.

7. Chris King

Yeah, right...

Self regulation can be a "more effective way" of addressing issues that arise in online markets than passing new legislation, Airbnb has said.

In other news: Hen-house security outsourced to foxes, farmer "surprised" at sight of blood and feathers.

1. intrigid

Re: Yeah, right...

I suppose you consider eBay, classifieds websites, Uber etc to be "fox in the henhouse" type disasters as well?

1. Yes Me Silver badge
        Big Brother

Re: Yeah, right...

> eBay, classifieds websites, Uber etc to be "fox in the henhouse" type disasters as well?

Of course. We have hundreds of years experience that unregulated markets lead to rip-offs and worse; a tiny technological detail like the Internet doesn't change this in the least.

Ever noticed that Vulture Central fora are moderated? There's a reason for that... the same reason that sausage-making is regulated. Without regulation, people misbehave.

8. Franco

This is bound to work. After all, letting the Banks self-regulate didn't do any harm did it.........

1. intrigid

So to you, "letting them self-regulate" means "covering their losses with taxpayer money"?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Self-regulation translated from BS to plain English

is "we're making tons of money don't bother us right now, we'll get back to you when we'll need you".

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who is the dumb head

who thinks Airbnb has something to do with digital economy ? According to this criteria even my plain old utility provider is in the digital economy because it allows me to deal with them via the Internet.

Let's not be silly, shall we ?

11. Adam 1

If your "self regulation" is effective, then you have nothing to fear from the "do something brigade".

12. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Self regulation: dumping a ton of candy in front of a three year old kid and telling them to make it last until they are twenty.

13. Christian Berger

There seems to be one area where self regulation actually works

...and that's ransom ware. They do have very good customer service so you do get your data back when you pay.

Whether or not we actually want to have that particular business model is a different question. Unfortunately we do have to little regulation in that regard, that's why, for example, companies making DRM are still legal.

14. bep

Sharing economy?

If I do a house swap with you and we organise it ourselves, that's the sharing economy. If I lend you my drill and in return you lend me your lawnmower, that's the sharing economy. AirBnB is, you know, a business and if left to it's own devices it will end up like Ebay and you WILL be screwed sooner or later.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon