back to article Wanted: 1,400 sales jockeys to flog Oracle Cloud

Oracle today unveiled a massive EMEA recruitment drive for its “cloud sales work force”. The enterprise software giant wants to hire 1,400 new salespeople in six locations: Amsterdam, Cairo, Dubai, Dublin, Malaga and Prague. It's also building new sales centres in Amsterdam and Cairo. They will get 600 cloud apps along with on …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. e^iπ+1=0

"Is that 1,400 salespeople in each of the six locations, or 1,400 salespeople in total, which would mean 233.3 in each of the six locations?"

Yes! Obviously. The alternative doesn't even warrant consideration.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

SOP for Oracle

Oracle always throws a hundred sales people at the same customers. It seems like big company disorganization, but it is intentional. Larry and co think that competition is always good in all forms. They throw a bunch of reps out there selling slightly different variations of the same product, e.g Oracle Linux on third party servers, Oracle cloud appliance, Exadata, Oracle Linux as a service, and let them fight it out in front of the customer. Only the strong shall survive.

2. Steve K
    Stop

Logical extension is to stop on-premise software commission for salespeople

The logical extension of this is that they will stop paying salespeople (and presumably Oracle partners too) commission for on-premise software where there is a cloud version.

That does not bode particularly well for users getting the right solution for their needs, when the opening lines will be:

"Cloud is the answer - now, what's the question?"

Steve

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Logical extension is to stop on-premise software commission for salespeople

"Cloud is the answer - now, what's the question?"

Well, it used to be ""A database is the answer - now, what's the question?" so not much change there.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Childcatcher

Oracle - Cloud - Sales

Three words to strike fear into the heart of any sane being with a computer.

Please tell me it's a ruse, to round them all up in one place, and there's already a nuke in orbit...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oracle - Cloud - Sales

Oracle - Cloud - Recruiting - Sales

Make that four words...

2. JennyZ

Re: Oracle - Cloud - Sales

Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oracle Sales?

working for the Devil then.

It won't end well I tell you..,.

5. Caff

"IT jobs"

I am waiting for some politicians to spout out how these sales jobs are actually IT jobs.......

1. Anonymous Coward
      Alert

Re: "IT jobs"

George Osborne needs to find his hard-hat first.

2. BoldMan

Re: "IT jobs"

You missed out the "SH" prefix in your description of the type of jobs...

6. steamnut

ex talk talk sales execs. need not apply

This sounds a bit desperate. I get enough calls a day from over excited tele-sales reps who promise me everything from lower phone bills, fuel bills, and internet costs as it is. I guess, like those mentioned, all they really want is your monthly direct debit payment. After they have it all calls are via premium rate numbers....

With Oracle nothing is ever as cheap as they said it would be - standard response: did you read the very small print on page 55?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Some of the individual s/w products that Oracle ACQUIRED to shove in its cloud are not to bad, sadly most of the various components are utterly incompatible and the integration between them is laughable.

As for the one element in the Oracle Cloud that Oracle developed itself, called Fusion, its so fucking awful that even after 10 years of development it STILL doesn't work!

Is there a dead horse involved in any of this flogging?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm getting tired of cloud stuff! Our IT manager is on a 'cloud at any cost' trip at the moment. Rather than adopting the cloud and integrating it into current procedures, it's "we've got this cloud thing, you will use it whether you like it or not, alter your procedures to use it". I don't know what the sales bods for these cloud companies are slipping into IT managers' drinks these days, but it seems to be working for them! The way they sell cloud services, it's obviously a money-maker, certainly a pain in the behind for everyone else.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Fearless prediction....

As these sales operations ramp up, there will be a sudden spike in murders and suicides involving El Reg's European readership! (In the U.S., we've already worked through that stage of cloud adoption.)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cloud is not here

Except Oracle's cloud offering is nothing more than hosting their outdated software which is not designed for the Cloud so is terrible to develop for. Too little too late.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cloud is not here

...plus the various stuff they acquired over the last few years (eg RightNow)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like