back to article Telstra dominates NBN retail, but less than you might think

Telstra's been accused of putting a stranglehold on National Broadband Network (NBN) connections. Our take: not quite yet. The criticisms stem from Murdoch organ The Daily Telegraph, which in an otherwise unremarkable story about the incumbent bulking up its technical staff for the NBN, included this unattributed, unsourced …

1. mathew42

Telstra the only RSP selling voice only connections?

> There's an extra layer of nuance in Telstra's data, however: because it's the only entity subject to the Universal Service Obligation, it has voice-only connections, something no other retailer provides.

So Telstra are the only RSP selling voice only connections on the NBN? If so that would mean that < 10% of connections are voice only.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There's more to it than that (in my experience)

We were lucky enough to get 100/40 NBN FTTB in our block. When we signed up, the only RSP's available were Telstra and Belong (which is also Telstra owned).

We signed up with them because there was no other choice. NBN could only give us a vague explanation about how more RSP's will be available later (still not the case, three months on).

I wonder how many Telstra NBN customers are only with Telstra because, like us, there was no alternative...

1. Tannin

Re: There's more to it than that (in my experience)

Very few, I should think. Certainly I have never heard of such a thing before. The normal case is that for the six months before and the six months after NBN rollout in your street, you are emptying the letter box with a wheelbarrow because of all the flyers from ISPs spruiking their NBN deals.

1. Cpt Blue Bear

Re: There's more to it than that (in my experience)

"Certainly I have never heard of such a thing before"

I'm guessing your experience is purely with existing individual domestic sites then. The OP is talking about fibre-to-the-block / basement / some other word starting with B and meaning the site rather than premises.

3. Lodgie

Errrm ... to assist in your eternal search for journalistic veracity, I believe that the The Daily Telegraph is owned by the secretive Barclay brothers and not Murdoch.

1. Knoydart
      Stop

Different Torygraph

Oz also has a Daily Telegraph and I'm not sure the Barcley brothers cash has reached the Southern Hemisphere yet.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like