back to article BT puts new head on 10-year-old network arm Openreach

Clive Selley is to become the new chief executive of BT Openreach, replacing incumbent Joe Garner, who is set to become chief exec of the Nationwide Building Society. Selley is currently CEO of BT Technology, Service and Operations and will assume his role at Openreach in the first quarter of this year. Garner has only been …

1. djstardust

Change of direction ......

NOT

So when a part of your company is in a bad way, a fresh pair of eyes would be a distinct advantage.

Good to see BT promoting from within. Nothing will change.

1. Tom 7

Re: Change of direction ......

I'd imagine he was given a shed load of share options that make it seriously not in his interest to pursue separation too.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It took me three tries

To finally NOT read 'Openreich'.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: It took me three tries

Or Overreach (into ones' pockets)

3. wolfetone Silver badge

One time state Monopoly?

Could you refer to them by their proper title: Current Privately Owned Monopoly.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: One time state Monopoly?

Especially as Openreach was never state owned.

1. Tom 7

Re: One time state Monopoly?

So what you're suggesting is the lines put themselves in the ground before privatisation.

4. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
    Unhappy

Bankers

Sad to see what was once a decent technical company now run by W^HBankers. What are his qualifications for chairing their "cyber-security council"?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bankers

I think Clive Selley has worked in IT and Telecomms engineering for decades. The guy who's leaving is the banker.

5. Norm DePlume
    Coat

I always suspected BT was run by a bunch of merchant bankers.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I remember when they launched Open Reach

A mate of mine got invited to take part in a "Do you think Open Reach is a good name?" focus group. It turned out to be a fait accompli, since BT had already made up their minds. Everyone in the focus group thought Open Reach would be shit name. Anyway, what's the point of having a monopoly if you can't have a shit name and get away with it?

7. Andy Livingstone

Do we care really care

who is in charge at Openretch as they are not available to customer communication at any level?

1. Gadgetman
      Facepalm

Re: Do we care really care

And you have to thank the ISPs for objecting to the recent proposal from Openreach to make themselves available to end-user customers.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

A suggestion for BT

Put a TEN YEAR OLD in charge of your OpenReach arm -

They couldnt do a worse job than the last guy.

Have a stuffed Penguin - no one thought 10 y/o BOY automatically did they??

9. Andy Neale

I suspect the employee cleansing will carry on

I doubt it will change the Openreach policy of treating the workforce like crap, trying to push out those with original BT contracts and long service in favour of less experienced people on shitty contracts at cheaper rates. You pay peanuts, etc etc... Staff bullying is rife on Openreach.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I suspect the employee cleansing will carry on

As it is on the front lines in Virgin Media - the many subcontractors (who have never worked for Virgin Media or their forrunners) are paid on a piecemeal basis depending on the number of 'jobs' they complete.

Hence the number of complaints for crappy install jobs.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I suspect the employee cleansing will carry on

I used to work in the Clive Selley run TSO organisation, it had all the attributes you've described and a bunch of others such as aggressive performance reviews, offshoring, nebulous competency reviews etc. created in the name of service excellence but actually there to support headcount reduction targets.

posted anonymously for obvious reasons

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like