back to article Cops stuff Mumbai thief with 48 bananas

Mumbai cops have chalked up another success for their preferred method of retrieving swallowed stolen goods: obliging the thief to eat bananas until the booty is expelled. According to the Hindustan Times, one Gopi R Ghaware was cuffed last Wednesday after snatching a 25g gold chain from a woman in a fish market in the east of …

1. Steve K

Reversible...?

48 bananas should be enough to have the same effect starting from the other end too.....

2. Richard Wharram

Ripe or green?

I thought that bananas were only laxative once a good proportion of the starch had ripened to sugar.

Warrants further research in my opinion.

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Ripe or green?

Yes, I gather they have the opposite effect if eaten before fully ripe. I'm sure the Mumbai plod know their bananas.

1. TRT Silver badge

The Mumbai plod.

Also known as 'Peelers'.

1. TitterYeNot

Re: The Mumbai plod.

"Also known as 'Peelers'."

And rightly renowned for their fondness for bananas and custody...

1. Chris King

Re: The Mumbai plod.

I'm reminded of that episode of Red Dwarf, where Lister has to feed Kryten raw coffee to sober him up...

Thief: Please sir, I cannot eat any more of these bananas !!

Copper: Two. More. Bowls.

2. andykb3

Probably, but why use only 4 or 5 bananas when 48 will be so much more uncomfortable!

3. Chris King

Well, they made sure the thief had a crappy day... Quite literally !

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tief out di man chicken back and banana

4. Stevie

Bah!

I wonder if there's language in the various digital slurp laws that involve involuntary banana-assisted password retrieval?

1. Chris King

Re: Bah!

But is that going to flush them all out, or just the crappy ones ?

5. kmac499

Phew, I'm glad I read that.. My poor little imagination was working on a totally different technique for levering out the swag..

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yes, but...

Did the Mumbai Police use ethically sourced Bananas from a sustainable resource?

If not, his Lawyer has a good chance of getting the case thrown out on a technicality.

Oh wait, its India not Britain!

7. tony2heads
    Mushroom

Bananas ?

Give the criminal Picolax

Icon: how this stuff feels

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. chivo243 Silver badge

Re: Bananas ?

The Real Ring of Fire!

2. chivo243 Silver badge

@tony2heads

Ipecac! None of this waiting around for nature to work magic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SKdN1xQBjk

3. Christoph

"Give the criminal Picolax

Icon: how this stuff feels"

And this is what it does. (Somewhat NSFW, especially if you are not allowed to roll on the floor laughing while at work.)

1. Steve K

Simply brilliantly-told story!!

That Picolax is impressive stuff - I nearly crapped myself laughing just reading that article.

Steve

4. Chris King

Ever read the "Agent Picolax" story ? Try and keep a straight face while reading this...

http://singletrackworld.com/2009/02/the-picolax-thread-returns/

blu-tone – 2007-07-18 10:22:11

I realised too late what it was that they already knew only too well, the epicentre was behind me.

But this was no pantomime villainit was

KRAKATOA’S BIG DRUNK ANGRY BROTHER

And he’d come to kick the living shitt out of me . . . .

RIGHT NOW !!!

TBC

8. Little Mouse

A good way to solve a problem like this...

...is to work it out with a pencil.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

This is just ...

... a crap story.

1. NotBob

Well polished, but...

Still a turd.

2. choleric

Re: This is just ...

Not at all. Alchemists around the world will want to know how it's done. Eat bananas and excrete gold - it's a miracle! Don't forget to pull the chain after you've pulled the chain out.

No icon coz on mobile, otherwise I'd be hitting the anorak button already.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

appalling behaviour

simply below the belt

11. Stevie

Bah!

I'm flashing on a MPFC sketch: "Now then. What to do when being attacked by someone armed ... with a banana."

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What would the UK version be?

Force fed sprouts until gastroenteritis ensues?

Would the perp also have to clean the adjacent walls due to swag ejection pebble dashing?

1. Chris King

Re: What would the UK version be?

"Okay sonny, we've got Exhibit A, now LICK the wall clean !"

2. Vic

Re: What would the UK version be?

Force fed sprouts until gastroenteritis ensues?

Sweetcorn.

It's used when someone is suspected of smuggling drugs into the country in their intestines. You feed corn in at one end until it comes out the other[1].

Vic.

[1] This doesn't take too long...

13. x 7

"..... the wee hours".

I think thats the wrong bodily function

"the banana laxative method was also used last April to recover a gold chain lodged in the digestive tract of another mugger"

So they force feed bananas to crocodiles? That's brave...very brave.....

14. Me19713
    Devil

Reminds me of

My late father had a problem with someone stealing his roast beef sandwich from the refrigerator at work every Monday morning. So, being a biologist, he engaged in gastrointestinal warfare.

He mixed phenolphthalein (the active ingredient in ExLax) into the horseradish on the sandwich. A bit after lunch time, the culprit was obvious after spending a long time in the men's room.

No more problems after that. Knowing that Dad developed insecticides, the thief got off easy! :-)

1. Old Handle

Re: Reminds me of

Former active ingredient in ExLax, and also a nice PH indicator. I wonder how many home science projects have been ruined by that little recipe change.

1. Chris King

Re: Reminds me of

"O"-level/"A"-level chemistry used to be so much more interesting, in all the ways you could poison yourself, blow yourself up, set yourself on fire or just dissolve/stain that god-awful tie.

I used to have an "A"-level chemistry textbook from the early 70's, which contained some, shall we say "intriguing" recipes that would probably get it labelled as a "terrorist's cookbook" these days. Especially the bits about TNT and Phosgene gas.

Many of the reagents mentioned in the book had long since been removed from the labs (sometimes by firemen wearing hazardous chemical gear !) or replaced by safer alternatives.

I no longer have that book, but I do remember that it burned with an odd-coloured flame when I stuck it on a bonfire !

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's a fair crap

But the perp was only minding his own business.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pictures or it didn't happen

What? Did I say something wrong?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like