back to article Switzerland, Spain and France are beating UK at DevOps – survey

UK companies are failing to adopt key requisites for DevOps success, according to a new survey. The study says the Brits' shortcomings were seen in three main areas, namely business-led approaches to development, skilled and collaborative IT resources, and key control risks. According to Assembling the DevOps Jigsaw, a survey …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

DevOps. DevOps. DevOps. Buzzword. Bollocks. Agile. Ehrmagawd. DevOps.

Seeing as there are almost as many definitions as buzzwords, I find it somewhat implausible that a company (named "Freeform Dynamics" yet) can put percentages on it.

1. Lysenko

^^^

This.

Sometimes it is like being back in 1992 (in another field) listening to: TQM, IIP, ISO9000, ZDP, 6Sigma etc. all over again.

Whenever a buzzword deluge like this surfaces you can guarantee that lurking under a nearby rock will be a member of the Maldives Basketball Association whose technical competence dates to the Middle Bronze Age.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: ^^^

This is what you get when engineers are replaced with MBAs - complete and utter nonsense.

Have an upvote for the MBA def.

2. Charles Manning

Mainstream buzzwords and Gartner

Once Gartner starts talking about it, the PHBs will start asking for some of this DevOps stuff.

Serious money to be made if you lack scruples.....

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ITIL

its because most UK orgs are totally bogged down in mis-reading of ITIL :(

DevOps is nothign new - its how good IT has been done for decades...you can still keep your departments

segregated but upskilling teams in all facets and allowing a choice of development methodologies (Agile? Waterfall? etc) and not developing stuff in isolation of the people who will be expected to run/support/manage it is 100% common sense! :/

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: ITIL

> segregated but upskilling teams in all facets and allowing a choice of development methodologies

Bingo!

3. Naselus

"The UK lags behind Switzerland (23 per cent), Spain (13 per cent), and France (12 per cent), but is ahead of Germany (10 per cent)"

That'll explain why Spain has such a dynamic and vibrant economy, while German companies are famously the sick men of Europe then.

1. Steve Button Silver badge

yeah, exactly. A pointless survey. Asking people how much of a clue they have about something, and usually if they have no clue at all they will think they are probably doing fine.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well said

It seems that many companies in Germany etc have swallowed the Dev Opts snake oil panacea in the hope that it get them out of their economic malade.

Some change is good for a company but this load of baloney is just about the worst since.... Oh, the Y2K thingy.

The sooner the pedlars of this crap are tarred, feathered and put in the stocks on Parliament Green the better.

YMMV and the downvotes will show that in spades.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge

It could be argued Spain's always been doing DevOps, in permanently understaffed IT depts everyone has to do everything, only now it's got a cool name.

4. Rimpel

Wow so much buzzword bingo bs here amanfrommars should have a field day. And it would probably make as much sense.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

It would be unkind, and unwise, to miss opportunities discovered and uncovered recovered

Wow so much buzzword bingo bs here amanfrommars should have a field day. And it would probably make as much sense. … Rimpel

Making as much sense would be good, but making better sense is so much more rewarding, methinks, Rimpel. What think you on the following …..

However, only 11 per cent of UK organisations are in an advanced stage of deployment, defined as firms that have implemented DevOps across at least six different business areas.

Care to hazard an educated guess at the number of business areas impacted by the following feast of perlescent goodies with starring players in the long run and at home with ladies always getting their man

The Hacking and Cracking of SCADA Administrative Operating System Command and Virtual Control Protocols. ……. with Phormer Elite Forces in XSSXXXXtraOrdinary Sources Directing Immaculate Feeds …… Manna from Heavenly Global Operating Devices ur2die4. ……. for Venture Capitalised AIdVenturing with Remote Alien Access Control/MetaDataPhysical Input to XSSXXXXPortedD Reality …… Future Present Bigger Picture Production for Presentation ……. with Remote Virtualised Self-Actualisation of NEUKlearer HyperRadioProActive IT ProVision Supply and Sterling Stirling Servering

Is it IT with Content Control, GCHQWise? One of their Cheltenham Special Quantum Majestic Programs? The posit here can be, it is and can and will be great for everyone ;-)

Now that would surely be Assuredly Heavenly and Right Regal Royal to Boot for a Daily Hoot with Super Toots :-)

And that’s as much information shared as is needed to progress into Virtual Reality Pro Processing Centres/BaseCyberSpaceStation Node and Mode. And there’s a lot of star space travel charts shared there, too. Enough is Enough for Now.

2. frank ly

@Rimpel

Next, face a mirror and say "Candyman", three times.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: @Rimpel

Buy a ticket and chant "lottery" in a monkish monotone. As your advisor, I'll only charge 10%

If you're going to summon things, it may as well be good stuff.

2. Captain DaFt

Re: @Rimpel

"Next, face a mirror and say "Candyman", three times."

For bonus points, make it it your side rearview mirror as you roar down the highway.

Then watch him try to chase you. :)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

B******S

What is it with you people and your fear of change?

Someone has a methodology that is vaguely similar to one you think you've spotted (and ignored) once before and you denounce it as fucking heresy.

Maybe the world is changing a bit. And perhaps you were the reason it needed to.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: B******S

Us cynics around here have seen it all before.

Some of us see en 'DevOpts' and yawn. Another 'greatest thing since sliced bread' philosiphy.

Some if it is already being used in many companies. Bits here, bits there as appropriate to that business.

Go the whole hog? Are you crazy. Far too much change too quickly will more as often than not have a good change of killing the business. History is littered with cases what a business has bet the whole thing on one bit of tech or whatever. Boeing nearly went TITSUP with the 747.

So what's it to be then? Go gungho into DevOpts and just about get there when another bandwagon else comes along and are we expected to drop everything and go gungho for that?

on this sad day, the lyrics of Changes says a lot about why you should tread carefully with any snake oil

"Changes"

I still don't know what I was waiting for

And my time was running wild

A million dead-end streets

And every time I thought I'd got it made

It seemed the taste was not so sweet

So I turned myself to face me

But I've never caught a glimpse

Of how the others must see the faker

I'm much too fast to take that test

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

(Turn and face the strange)

Ch-ch-changes

Don't want to be a richer man

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

Ch-ch-changes

Just gonna have to be a different man

Time may change me

But I can't trace time

I watch the ripples change their size

But never leave the stream

Of warm impermanence and

So the days float through my eyes

But still the days seem the same

And these children that you spit on

As they try to change their worlds

Are immune to your consultations

They're quite aware of what they're going through

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

Ch-ch-changes

Don't tell them to grow up and out of it

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

Ch-ch-changes

Where's your shame

You've left us up to our necks in it

Time may change me

But you can't trace time

Strange fascination, fascinating me

Changes are taking the pace

I'm going through

Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes

Ch-ch-changes

Oh, look out you rock 'n rollers

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

Ch-ch-changes

Pretty soon now you're gonna get older

Time may change me

But I can't trace time

I said that time may change me

But I can't trace time

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

It's not fear of change. Change is always an opportunity. It's the dread of yet another potentially good (although not exactly new) idea being perverted into something really unpleasant by the type of management that has heard the new buzzword, read an executive summary in a trade magazine, feels compelled to get on the bandwagon - but is utterly, totally fucking clueless about what it really means. Fun for the whole family!

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Hi, allthecoolshortnamesweretaken,

Methinks it is then up to bandwagon drivers to realise with virtualisation, Implementation and Arming of Program Presentations?Future Virtually Perfect Realities ......... for there are many Changing Rooms in which to zoom in and play with Global Operating Devices.

That be fun for whole families.

And is Applied VapourWare ….. AI Beta Driver? ….. or Beta AI Driver? …… or both and something completely different, cubed ………. with Command and Control, Simply Heavenly Environments?

The posit here is that such now is, and it is free to lode and load from select relatively autonomous anonymous networks.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Lusty

wayasay?!

Two thirds of uk companies are actively using containerisation? REALLY? Have these fuckwits even been outside? Loads are talking about it, but the number actually doing it is approaching zero. Also containers really don't make things more portable. In the real world we test things and don't assume that code will run on a random kernel with libs tested against a different kernel.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: wayasay?!

Hey, I bet nearly 100% of them are using containers. Tupperware containers. In the break room fridge.

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Re: wayasay?!

Not just tupperware in the fridge, but they surely use "containers" also on some management bullshit presentations.

7. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"More than 1,400 senior IT and business executives worldwide were quizzed as part of the research." (emphasis by me)

Well, that's the flaw in the survey's methodology right there. The least Freeform Dynamics (what the hell is that supposed to mean anyway) should have done is some sort of error correction based on the IT/business executive ratio.

8. Down not across

DevOps *urgh* deployment

However, only 11 per cent of UK organisations are in an advanced stage of deployment, defined as firms that have implemented DevOps across at least six different business areas.

You say that like its a bad thing....

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: DevOps *urgh* deployment

Do firms have to have six business areas now? Five not good enough?

9. Dale Vile, Freeform Dynamics
    Go

Chinese whispers

Hello everyone - Dale here from Freeform Dynamics - we conducted the research reported here.

I understand some of the concerns expressed in this thread, and apologise for what I think is a case of Chinese whispers. The study focused on early adopters of DevOps so the data is skewed towards those that have been more active in this area (bear that in mind when considering the percentages reported). The caveats and footnotes associated with this did not make it through the release and news reporting process leading up to the article we are discussing (which was all out of our hands). For a more complete view of the study findings (including the methodology and its limitations) we would encourage you to download or view the research report from the Freeform Dynamics website (here).

In the meantime, regarding some of the sentiment coming through in this thread about DevOps being an intangible marketing concept as opposed to anything real or specific, it's worth remembering that the DevOps movement originated from the grass roots IT practitioner community. Sure, the marketing guys have since hopped on as the bandwagon started to roll, but as we discuss in the research report, there are a lot of tangible specifics in play here. Admittedly they are not all new (indeed most aren't at all), but I think that misses the point. DevOps pulls together a bunch of established and emerging ideas in a way that tackles a lot of traditional delivery challenges.

Hope that helps.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like