back to article Wii aids family togetherness, report claims

If it’s quality family time you’re after, then it’s a Wii’s you want. That’s according to a new study which claims to have discovered that gamers rank the Wii as the best console for family togetherness. Pollster GfK NOP questioned 464 people aged 16 and over, and found that 83 per cent believe the Wii increases family …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dan
    Thumb Up

underestimation I think

I was at a charity fund-raising event yesterday, and there was a wii stall where you could play bowling. The number of old people who had played it previously was surprising, one guy told me that apparently in elderly peoples nursing homes in the US, Wii bowling tournaments etc are very common. I can see why MS/Sony want a piece of the action.

2. Andrew Moore

It's fine...

Until your six year old throws her Wii Remote at you when you beat her at Mart Cart (again).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Family togetherness??

Actually, I believe the Wii does bring the family closer together. I haven't seen anything else able to get so many of my family (record so far is 11 of us!) in one room all talking about the same thing...

"My score's better than yours!", "It's my turn, you've been on there thirty seconds already!", "I don't want to play that stupid game, I want to play mine instead", "Sorry dear, I've been playing all day while you've been out at work and I've beaten all your scores off the screen"...

Ah, happy family gatherings ;-) ;-)

4. Jay
    Unhappy

Not in my house!

Girlfriend said "we could get a Wii" in a positive way, so I hunted one down. She got narked as I had a few goes when it arrived (and had one of my mates round to help test the multiplayer). So she then gets in a huff that I've had more practice (it's a Wii FFS, it's not hard to learn/play!) and refuses to play it.

Result: Wii gathers dust for a few months until I sell it to my brother. Meanwhile I stick to PS3 and she sticks to playing Scrabulous on Facebook.

5. Tim Burgess
    Black Helicopters

Wii playing farmers see 50% crop yeald increase?

What ever next ?

Wii could well offer world peace, carbon foot print reduction and even the reversing of the ice cap melt...

Its starting to sound like the end of a Bill and Ted movie....

6. Steve

Bears

...and in their next survey they reveal that bears sh1t in the woods and the pope does have a balcony, and is, wait for it... catholic.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@Tim Burgess

Well, if it encourages people to get a Wii rather than a PS3 or 360 then it IS cutting their power use, hence carbon emissions- so it's doing all that environmental stuff.

The lowered energy requirements makes a minute- yet measurable- difference to oil consumption, meaning that there's less pressure to get more oil meaning a very small reduction in the chance /ferocity of wars, so aiding world peace.

It's even got Guitar Hero, so could inspire the same arm-twirling reverence as the Wyld Stallyns.

Next week: Nintendo voted "Leader of Free World".

8. min

who pays these guys to come up with this drivel???

hahahahaha. so would a mass family suicide of course, in that, the slaim is that an activity is taking place in the grouped environment. just what usefulness this activity has is of a nicely doubtful nature. so i suppose the researchers' next claim will be that making pipe bombs aids 'togetherness' in terror families? for those of you who are going to yell that 'it is not the same thing', you better think again, because in qualitative terms such research is pretty pointless. but then again, it makes a nice headline for your commissioning customer - Nintendo..

9. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Girls have known this for years

Watch them in bars, they always go for a wii together...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like