back to article Amazon drafts blueprints for its own home router, IoT gateway ARM chips

Amazon is readying its own ARM-compatible processors to power home routers, Wi-Fi hotspots, and network-attached storage boxes. The Alpine system-on-chips were designed by Annapurna Labs, a fabless biz founded in 2011. It is based in San Jose, California, and Israel, and was bought by Amazon in early 2015 for about $350m. The …

1. CAPS LOCK

It isn't clear to me how these are 'better' than generic chips from the usual suspects?

Surely some off-the-shelf SoC will be cheaper?

2. Chris Evans

ARM-compatible... missleading

ARM-compatible suggests either all their own design or that they have an 'ARM architectural licence' (like Apple). Later in the article it mentions "seem to be dual or quad-core Cortex-A15" if that is true it is not ARM-compatible it IS an ARM core!

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: ARM-compatible... missleading

You're reading into it too much. I use the term ARM-compatible deliberately because ARM did not design this chip - just the core. The SoC is ARM-compatible, but not ARM-designed.

C.

3. Peter 26

New era for domestic routers

I've always gone out and bought the latest fastest domestic routers and installed tomato on it, but the power has always been lacking. I have considered building my own out of a PC, but object to the power usage and build cost for this just to get basic things like decent VPN speed.

I hope this is a sign of a new era of non-shitty domestic routers.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like