back to article Kiwi botmaster escapes conviction despite guilty plea

An NZ teenager who became notorious for masterminding the creation of one of the largest cybercrime networks has escaped conviction, despite admitting computer hacking and fraud offences. Owen Thor Walker (AKA AKILL), 18 and from Whitianga, pleaded guilty to six cybercime offences in late March, but Justice Judith Potter …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

By Denny Crane

Up is down here, Alan. Down is up.

Denny Crane

2. Joshua
    Thumb Up

What makes this really amazing...

is that NZ has such rubbish broadband. Did he manage to hack into the local telecom exchange in small-town Whitianga and hook up a fat pipe?

3. Savannah Rose
    Heart

Can't believe other people

I can't believe the comments about this boy. Does no one have any compassion or sense of forgiveness or understanding? The people that have commented so far are the very ones that would have been yelling "crucify him" when Pontius Pilot was judging Jesus Christ. Let these people get the rock out of their own eye before they try to get the sand out of someone else's eye...I would venture to say the news hasn't published the REAL story, yet people are quick to condem and judge without really knowing...shame on those who are so hateful towards another....S. Rose

4. Brad
    Stop

F A I L

@Savannah

Are you serious? Do you have any idea what is required to do what he did? no criminal intent? Rubbish!

Look, what he did requires a certain amount of knowledge and you don't develop the kind of code that he did by 'accident' he was well aware of what he was doing, mentally disabled or not.if the police have enough evidence to take him into court, chances are he was a very naughty boy. I am sure that your 'Jesus' would NOT approve.

5. Andy Wales

@Brad

"Chances are he was a very naughty boy"

If you do a bit of research on aspergers you might just find that your assumption of his motive might be way wide of the mark! as people who suffer from aspergers often do not fully understand the world as others see it. If only life was so simple

6. Savannah Rose

a huge second to Andy

Yes, It is indeed very obvious that the Brad above is a "very uninformed boy" when it comes to Asperger's. I challenge him to look past his nose and discover just what Asperger's is and how those afflicted with the syndrome can have genious intellegence (hence the ability to write such a complicated computer program) yet indeed not have criminal intent. The "rock" in Brad's eye is his inability to even consider that someone else may be different than he is....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like