back to article Ofcom hands Channel 5 biggest-ever fine

Five has been hit with a £300,000 fine by regulator Ofcom in what is the biggest payout by a public service broadcaster to the regulator. It was found to have faked winners in live call-in competitions. In shows produced by Cheetah, a subsidiary of Big Brother producer Endemol, production staff posed as winners on numerous …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Adrian Jones

I can't believe it

The questions that "Brainteaser" asked were so ridiculously easy, It's incredible that they couldn't find a correct answer.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is Five's responsibility, but shouldn't Endemol pay too?

I hope the legal departments at the various TV channels have considered this kind of possibility when drawing up contracts for programme purchase. It would seem somewhat unfair for Five not to be able to pass on some of the fine/costs. But if they can't, fair enough, it might encourage Five (and others) to monitor their suppliers' practices more closely in future.

Is there any Endemol-originated content that isn't in some way utter rubbish or utterly corrupt or both?

3. andy gibson

...and Endemol get off scot free

again.

4. Sam

Cheetahs!

With a name like that; you can colour me unsuprised.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

why no fraud charges ?

Why are they letting these people off with a fine ?. They should bring criminal charges for the fraud that it is, or obtaining money by deception or similar.

This is going on and on and on....... and no one is really doing much about it.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE: "I can't believe it"

I guess anyone smart enough to know the answers would be smart enough not to bother wasting their time/money calling in.

7. Dillon Pyron

Fines?

If the FCC is going to fine $500,000 for a tit, what would they do for cheating on a game show? Probably $10 and a strong admonishment to "don't let me catch you doing that again".

This topic is closed for new posts.