back to article Dust off those White Space devices: New rules finalised by Ofcom

New UK regulations are set to come into force at the end of this year to allow telecoms providers to use special devices to provide wireless data services via "white space" - licensed portions of radio spectrum which remain unused locally. The Wireless Telegraphy (White Space Devices) (Exemption) Regulations will come into …

1. Pete 39
    Stop

Correction

New UK regulations are set to come into force at the end of this year

Should read

New UK regulations come into force at the end of 2015

etc...

(Would use the correction link but no access to email from this PC.)

2. Daniel Hall
    FAIL

But

....This story was published in 2016 by the reg, so surey its actually:

"New UK regulations come into force at the end of 2016"

1. Terry 6 Silver badge
      Pint

Re: But

Well, it starts with;

4 Jan 2016 at 09:04, OUT-LAW.COM

New UK regulations are set to come into force at the end of this year

But actually ends with

The Wireless Telegraphy (White Space Devices) (Exemption) Regulations will come into force on 31 December 2015.

So maybe it was drafted before the holidays and only posted today, or maybe they got the year wrong. It's just sloppy writing and editing.

Beer icon because, well what other explanation?

(Can't use email on this PC, for the correction link)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> Can't use email on this PC, for the correction link

If you use a web browser to read El Reg then surely you can access gmail, hotmail, yahoo, ...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

You can't access your email from the web? Who's email account is the toy?

1. MD Rackham

The one where the email content is being monetized for someone else's benefit?

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
            Trollface

But then, I don't use a web browser to read El Reg, I use the Acme Splaffer, which is much better and lets you use all the old icons whilst bypassing all the advertising.

Ah, not quite *ALL* the advertising 'though - bet it doesn't filter out your splaffer ads.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"If you use a web browser to read El Reg then surely you can access gmail, hotmail, yahoo, ...

True. Won't do me much good though, as I don't have an account there or on any service like it...

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Well no, in this case, if I click the corrections link it tries to launch TB and I don't have email set up on this PC. I don't know what the link does, such as contain a reference to the item, frankly at that point I just can't be doing with exploring it.

If it was a grammatical error or something I just wouldn't bother. But sloppy, confusing writing and editing is a different matter. Though ( to be honest) if no one else had bothered I also wouldn't have .

3. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Ofcom said that only white space devices that meet "certain technical conditions" and which can operate "in accordance with technical parameters"

And will Ofcom actually verify that the devices do conform, and take action against those that don't, or will it simply ignore the problem as it does for PLT devices and misuse of CE and BS marks?

4. TeeCee Gold badge
    Facepalm

Hmm.

New kit can't mess with digital TV...

Probably in exactly the same way that Powerline kit "can't" interfere with radio signals. The problem is that it can. And it will. And this time there'll be lawyers involved.

I still reckon that as bloody stupid ideas go this is likely to be seen as one of the bloodiest and most stupid once the dust settles.

1. Chronos
      Devil

Re: Hmm.

Should be a barrel of laughs to watch the fallout, though.

Popcorn?

5. Mage Silver badge
    Mushroom

White Space devices

White Space Devils.

Theory says "white space" devices will interfere.

Proper testing shows that they do.

1. Fred Goldstein

Re: White Space devices

No risk if the new rules are a tenth as strict as the new, supposedly looser rules in the US. A device here can't use a channel if within some miles of the outer edge of a co-channel protected contour, or, except for 40 milliwatt portable devices, within a much shorter distance of an adjacent channel's protected contour. Until a recent change you thus needed a gap of three adjacent empty channels to use the middle one. Now you can straddle the boundary between two adjacent empty 6MHz wide channels (US channels are narrower than 8 MHz UK ones), leaving 3 MHz of protection, with a whopping 100 mW. These sorts of power levels are as likely to interfere with over the air TV as a squirrel is likely to knock over a tower by flying into it while looking for a moose.

6. oopsie

PMSE?

Curious to see how this works out with PMSE licences - suspect they'll be ignored...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon